Chapala.com Webboard

My GREEN CARD

Floradude

The long awaited quest for my Visa Permanente (Permanent Visa) is over.
Today being day #112 from the beginning it was showdown day for me at Immigration. Arriving at the immigration office in Chapala at 10:45 am I knew it was my lucky day when there were only two people in the office and no-one in the chairs waiting.

Once at the counter I explained to the lady I was there to check on my visa since it had been 112 days total in the process.
She checked the computer (where I also look daily) and seeing the last message ("Su document migratorio esta in proceceso de elaboracion) from October 7th., thought that my card was probably in the office. She looked in the pile and sure enough there it was. I asked why I was not notified....nobody told me. She replied that it usually comes one week after that last message I received. What can I say, this is Mexico and I guess I should have known that somehow. Anyway, I was so happy there was no complaining.

Reviewing the steps for me were at follows:
1. On July 7th my forms/application were accepted at the office in Chapala.
2. On September 21th I was told to present myself to the office in Chapala.
3. I went in on the next Monday, Sept 23rd., and was finger printed, etc.
And, the forms supposedly went to Mexico City to make the card.
4. On October 1st. my payment for the new card was registerd.
5. On October 7th. I received my last communication (see above).

I have no way of knowing when the card arrived in Chapala but one week from #5 would be the 14th of October ....probably just under 100 days from drop off to arrival back at the Chapala office.

My assessment of the process:
Of course the time it took was unconscionable and for me the first 74 days were very stressful. That was because I had no idea where my application was and I tend to assume the worst.
For the rest since I did it all myself I found the process to be easy and straight forward.
On every visit to the Chapala Immigration Office I found the people I dealt with to be friendly, helpful, and quite professional.
It took a long time but I did it and I saved the money of a facilitator and it was all done in Chapala.

The long awaited quest for my Visa Permanente (Permanent Visa) is over.

Today being day #112 from the beginning it was showdown day for me at Immigration. Arriving at the immigration office in Chapala at 10:45 am I knew it was my lucky day when there were only two people in the office and no-one in the chairs waiting.

Once at the counter I explained to the lady I was there to check on my visa since it had been 112 days total in the process.

She checked the computer (where I also look daily) and seeing the last message ("Su document migratorio esta in proceceso de elaboracion) from October 7th., thought that my card was probably in the office. She looked in the pile and sure enough there it was. I asked why I was not notified....nobody told me. She replied that it usually comes one week after that last message I received. What can I say, this is Mexico and I guess I should have known that somehow. Anyway, I was so happy there was no complaining.

Reviewing the steps for me were at follows:

1. On July 7th my forms/application were accepted at the office in Chapala.

2. On September 21th I was told to present myself to the office in Chapala.

3. I went in on the next Monday, Sept 23rd., and was finger printed, etc.

And, the forms supposedly went to Mexico City to make the card.

4. On October 1st. my payment for the new card was registerd.

5. On October 7th. I received my last communication (see above).

I have no way of knowing when the card arrived in Chapala but one week from #5 would be the 14th of October ....probably just under 100 days from drop off to arrival back at the Chapala office.

My assessment of the process:

Of course the time it took was unconscionable and for me the first 74 days were very stressful. That was because I had no idea where my application was and I tend to assume the worst.

For the rest since I did it all myself I found the process to be easy and straight forward.

On every visit to the Chapala Immigration Office I found the people I dealt with to be friendly, helpful, and quite professional.

It took a long time but I did it and I saved the money of a facilitator and it was all done in Chapala.

What on earth does this have to do with a Green Card?

My inmigrado card is blue and white.

Tio,

Maybe that is the difference...RP card, and Inmigrado Card.

Tho, since the changes, aren't the RP and Inmigrado the same? If not, what is the difference? Just curious.

I was told when I received the RP, that I had the same rights as a Mexican, but could not vote. How does Inmigrado fit into this?

Thanks

Inmigrado was more difficult to get, requiring 5 years of previous Mexican residency versus 0 years

+$$ for RP. Inmigrado has more rights, because it took 5 years to get, you qualified to apply for Mexican Citizenship. Getting RP does not qualify you to apply for Citizenship. Because RP does not require prior year of Mexican residency, many Notarios do not necessarily authorize the exemption from the 28.5% capital gains taxes on property sales, because the gains tax exemption is only awarded after having your Mexican home as your primary residence for 5 years. Otherwise they both mostly work the same.

Inmigrado was more difficult to get, requiring 5 years of previous Mexican residency versus 0 years

+$$ for RP. Inmigrado has more rights, because it took 5 years to get, you qualified to apply for Mexican Citizenship. Getting RP does not qualify you to apply for Citizenship. Because RP does not require prior year of Mexican residency, many Notarios do not necessarily authorize the exemption from the 28.5% capital gains taxes on property sales, because the gains tax exemption is only awarded after having your Mexican home as your primary residence for 5 years. Otherwise they both mostly work the same.

Say what??

Residente Permanente status requires 4 years previous temporary residency, or 2 years if married to a Mexican citizen. There are other ways to expedite the process, but the basic time requirement for most people is 4 years continuous residency. Citizenship can be applied for at any time after residing in Mexico full-time for 5 years.

Say what??

Residente Permanente status requires 4 years previous temporary residency, or 2 years if married to a Mexican citizen. There are other ways to expedite the process, but the basic time requirement for most people is 4 years continuous residency. Citizenship can be applied for at any time after residing in Mexico full-time for 5 years.

You describe 2 out of 4 routes that Americans and Canadians have been using to get RP. For the past year, people qualify immediately for RP if they have over about $2,600 USD of deposits per month for 6 months or if they have over about $126,000 USD in savings for a full year. This means that a whole lot of RPs do not qualify to apply for citizenship nor do they qualify for the capital gains tax exemption.

Archived