Chapala.com Webboard

Parking Meters in Chapala

hensley

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good article by Dale Palfrey. Required hours of waiting and being tactful.

The comment about resorting to 'other means of collection'... I'd like to see how they could do anything. Sounds like posturing to me.

I would have liked to see Dale address the sign on the malecon in her article. Who put it there? If the information is not correct then why hasn't it been taken down by the municipio government? Allowing a sign like that in the tourist zone which, if incorrect, may lead to tourists getting a ticket for parking is not the way to build goodwill with visitors. And if the sign was put there by the municipio government, then why are the meters still standing, meter zones still marked and ticket writers still allowed to issue tickets?

I am not worried about any parking tickets they may give me because I have a foreign plated car connected to my previous passport. I don't think they could ever trace the car back to me. However, I wonder if they can boot or tow my car for parking without buying a ticket. Are they still doing that? Some Mexicans I spoke to seemed to think that towing was a real possibility.

I would have liked to see Dale address the sign on the malecon in her article. Who put it there? If the information is not correct then why hasn't it been taken down by the municipio government? Allowing a sign like that in the tourist zone which, if incorrect, may lead to tourists getting a ticket for parking is not the way to build goodwill with visitors. And if the sign was put there by the municipio government, then why are the meters still standing, meter zones still marked and ticket writers still allowed to issue tickets?

It would seem from the article that the banner was hung by the citizen's group led by Mario Ferrer. Since the municipality "agrees" with them, they certainly won't take it down.

They got screwed by the obviously rigged/corrupt original contract and they don't like it at all. Ferrer's group is more concerned with the loss of parking for workers and the fact that they have many competitors out along the carretera who have plenty of free parking at their door.

We used to shop there, we don't now and I know others who have done the same. It is not about the money, it is about the hassle. For Mexicans, the parking rates are pretty stiff IMO.

If the intent was to free up parking this could have been done with posted time limits enforced by parking monitors and paid for with fines. This was not about revenues for the city, this was about a sweetheart deal for the previous administration. It stinks. But if you go there, the best course of action is to just pay the fee.

They got screwed by the obviously rigged/corrupt original contract and they don't like it at all. Ferrer's group is more concerned with the loss of parking for workers and the fact that they have many competitors out along the carretera who have plenty of free parking at their door.

We used to shop there, we don't now and I know others who have done the same. It is not about the money, it is about the hassle. For Mexicans, the parking rates are pretty stiff IMO.

If the intent was to free up parking this could have been done with posted time limits enforced by parking monitors and paid for with fines. This was not about revenues for the city, this was about a sweetheart deal for the previous administration. It stinks. But if you go there, the best course of action is to just pay the fee.

I agree. You know what happens to anyone who gets in the middle of a pi...zing contest. I just put a little baggie of pesos in the glove compartment for the occasions when I find myself in the metered section. Sooner or later, there's bound to be a resolution

of the war.

Archived