Chapala.com Webboard

Scouts or After School Activities For 10 yr old Boy??

We have a 10 year old boy who goes to school here, when he comes home from school, he seems to be having trouble finding things to do around the house that does not involve video games. And if you factor in how early they get out of school here, 2 o'clock opposed to the 3:15 we had NOB and then if you omit the habitual one hour school bus ride home (we walk 10 mins to get to school here) our child ends up with plenty of freetime. We were wondering if you guys could possibly list the organized after school activities that are available in Chapala. Of course, he could enlist in a karate class, or some organized sports meet in Cristiania Park. He already does the Cursos de Verano, or summer sports camp, but that only lasts for 2 months in the summer. Is there any scouts group that meet year round here? What other options are available in the area preferably in Chapala? Thanks !

No regular scouts here at lakeside, I wish there would be one.

During summer there is a group of local boy scouts called Explora Chapala (search in Facebook), they go out twice a week during summer vacations.

Regular activities for children are:

- Soccer school at Cristiania park

- Tennis lessons at cristiania park

- Tae Kwon Do across the street on Cristiania park

- Swimming in Riberas del Pilar

- Sailing school at Club de Yates in Chapala

I wish there would be some :

- Baseball for kids

- Mountain biking club

- Boy scouts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had totally forgotten about the train station classes, that sounds like something to check into. Also, the carpentry school sounds really interesting and cool. The last one that intrigued us was the yacht club, maybe we will wait a few years for that, but was curious if you need to buy a sailboat or if they let you use one or rent them out...... all very good ideas!!

R2D2, there is kids baseball/softball in Ajijic at the soccer field every Wed. from 4 - 6. All equipments are supplied. The coaches are all volunteers but they are great coaches.

Also there is a rock climbing school (all indoors) in Ajijic, Mon, Wed and Fridays I believe. Its on the street beside the Donut place in Ajijic. I don't have an exact address.

I know of a climbing center in West Ajijic but don't know if it's still open. What about the pool in Riberas next to the Poultry store?

The OP is thinking in NoB terms, which are not common here. Typically, children come home from school here and immediately immerse themselves in homework. When that is finished, they may play for a while with siblings or relatives, but often assist their mother or father, depending upon gender, in household or even commercial activities. As such, they learn much of real life, instead of entertainments. As for sports, the logical choice here would be for one to become involved with a soccer team of his peers. His father would be the one to share such things as climbing, tennis, etc.

Just thought I'd mention that R2D2, who was listing all the lessons available at Christiana park, failed to mention there are swimming lessons there as well. Of course, getting a bit cool to swim now (I know as we used to go at least once a week) but something to keep in mind anyway. You don't have to go all the way to Riberas to swim.

Interesting exchange of ideas, thanks all .

Good to know there is baseball

Tony, I wast not aware of swimming lessons at Cristiania park.

Now I know there are more options for my kid, besides the ones I mentioned.

The sailing school is for sailing laser and is at a competitive level not really for fun/leasure.

Archived