Chapala.com Webboard

How many English speaking residents are there in Ajijic, Lakeside

SofiaG

Of course I did a search first, without much luck.

Also went to the INEGI figures, said 1000 permanent and 700 visit in high season....doesn't sound right.

Maybe LCS has something better with that study they did last year.

Thank you for your responses.

Of course I did a search first, without much luck.

Also went to the INEGI figures, said 1000 permanent and 700 visit in high season....doesn't sound right.

Maybe LCS has something better with that study they did last year.

Thank you for your responses.

go to the search text box - upper right - enter census - select all forums - and voila - all the recent threads about expat population will be displayed

A lot of Mexicans also speak English...BTW.

A lot of Mexican/American dual citizens are counted in the census as being U.S. citizens, which they are but they are only treated as U.S. citizens in the U.S. and considered Mexicans in Mexico.

Their children who were born in the U.S. and are also dual citizens are counted as U.S. citizens so the numbers are confusing.

There are thousands of dual citizens in Mexico.

Exactly, that is what the original question was. I was trying to see if there was a way to find out how many, any Nationality, spoke English in the Lakeside area. Thanks,

There are private schools here where the students are required to speak English.

If you wanted to know how many English speaking foreigners live here that might be easier to get a handle on but wanting to know how many English speakers in total is an impossibility to find out.

Visitors should be aware that although English is widely spoken in and around Ajijic, it becomes quickly less common in the surrounding villages and countryside. So does Spanish. Ajicatecos often joke that Spanish is a second language in San Juan Cosala, where the native tongue is still spoken.

Exactly, that is what the original question was. I was trying to see if there was a way to find out how many, any Nationality, spoke English in the Lakeside area. Thanks,

I think the answer is no, there is no easy way to find this information, and there may be no way at all.

What do they speak in San Juan? Nahuatl or do they speak with different accents? I have never heard a local indigenous language in San Juan or Mexcala , do they speak Nahual at all around here?

Why would it be easier to find out how many English foreigners who speak English live around here? I know they are less of us but you would have to go to each consulate or club and still would get the wrong answer as people register with their consulate but do not let the consulates know when they leave.

Yeah, the local native people speak various dialects of Nahuatl. They call it Nahuat, without the L. The language is seldom spoken in the presence of non-natives. I think this is a result of the days when speaking native languages in public was illegal. Some native people in U.S. also speak dialects of Nahuatl, including the Ute, Paiute, Shoshone and Hopi.

Why would it be easier to find out how many English foreigners who speak English live around here? I know they are less of us but you would have to go to each consulate or club and still would get the wrong answer as people register with their consulate but do not let the consulates know when they leave.

There are government records of how many foreigners are in Mexico. A researcher can check out the MX sites for how many permanante, temporal and visitor papers have been issued. He can also check the census. He does not need to check with the consulates. To find out how any English speakers there are and not just foreigners, that will take some guess work.

Interesting because in Chiapas or Oaxaca we hear the local indigenous languages all he time and so it must be a local thing,

So two family members stop speaking their language if they see a stranger, it is hard to believe,

I just check out the municipality records and there were 101 indigenous as of 2000 in the Jocotepec municipality: they speak Purepecha and Náhuatl, did not say how may of each,no wonder you do not hear either language on the streets.

It also said that Chapala had 190 mostly Nahuatl and Mixtecos.

Thank you Joco I know there are government records and census records, In Chiapas it is well know we have 200 French citizens living there....I asked the baker and another couple who have a pastry shop to tell me how many French people there were and believe me the French go to these places every day , they came up with about 50. They told me well the rest comes and goes , it changes all the time, net net no one has any idea,,,

I just check out the municipality records and there were 101 indigenous as of 2000 in the Jocotepec municipality: they speak Purepecha and Náhuatl, did not say how may of each,no wonder you do not hear either language on the streets.

It also said that Chapala had 190 mostly Nahuatl and Mixtecos.

Curious what the figures are for Poncitlan, which would include Mezcala. Can you look that up? Or can you tell me where to look for the info?

Of course, we need to keep in mind that Mexico is widely criticized for undercounting its native population.

I checked Poncitlan on the same site but the info on the municipios is not consistent and they had no information on Mezcala or on San Pedro. That would have been interesting but,, I google municipios de Mexico but unfortunately the information was not there. On that site there is a lot of ifnformation on each municipality in the whole country and it is interesting to see which ethnic group goes where but the information is 13 years old so who know what it is today.

Tuxpan south of Cd Guzman seems to be one of the largest Náhuatl population in Jalisco.

Archived