Chapala.com Webboard

Update on pitbull attack

MtnMama

We went to court today regarding the pitbull attack on my husband that took place in Chapala Haciendas. The young man who owns the dog had a sob story about a sick child and how the poor dog was only protecting his property. He claimed someone tried to break down the wall to get into his house and rob him. (Not likely since the pitbulls would have been standing at the gate barking and snarling.) More likely the dogs dug a hole in the wall.

Anyway the judge decided if the young man paid my husband's medical expenses, they wouldn't do anything about the dog this time. The young man said he would keep the dogs in his yard. He now has four pitbulls, (up from two) the kind with the big oversized heads, at least one of whom is extremely vicious.

Bottom line, if you live in the Haciendas, don't walk near the upper intersection of Pajaro Azul and Pajaro del Juego. The FRAAC is exploring options.

We went to court today regarding the pitbull attack on my husband that took place in Chapala Haciendas. The young man who owns the dog had a sob story about a sick child and how the poor dog was only protecting his property. He claimed someone tried to break down the wall to get into his house and rob him. (Not likely since the pitbulls would have been standing at the gate barking and snarling.) More likely the dogs dug a hole in the wall.

Anyway the judge decided if the young man paid my husband's medical expenses, they wouldn't do anything about the dog this time. The young man said he would keep the dogs in his yard. He now has four pitbulls, (up from two) the kind with the big oversized heads, at least one of whom is extremely vicious.

Bottom line, if you live in the Haciendas, don't walk near the upper intersection of Pajaro Azul and Pajaro del Juego. The FRAAC is exploring options.

Sorry to hear that.

We are living in a community, where people are scared and dogs are used like weapons. I understand that you can use weapons in your house, to defend yourself, but not outside. Here the weapons are brought outside, and they harm innocent people.

Daily, I see them walking in the malecon, with a cholo, with pants practically hanging down, dragging behind the dog. It is ridiculous, they can hardly hold the dog. What happens with the dog, if the pants really fall down ??

Almost 10 years ago, you hardly ever saw a pittbull or German shepard here,.... now they are everywhere. It is a sign of the times (and situation). Muchos miedosos outthere.

Rony

Thanks for the update! While not ideal, at least it's a start. I'm sorry to hear he now has 4 Pit Bulls. He seems incapable and/or unwilling to secure them within his property lines. Please be careful when walking in that area. The "pack" mentality can be very dangerous and almost impossible to fight off 4 Pit Bulls.

I'm so sorry your husband was injured and you are having to go through this process. Grateful that at least his medical bills will be paid by this young man but it appears he does not understand how serious this situation can become.

Needless to say, elderly, frail, children and others are not capable of defending themselves against an attack by one of these dogs, much less four. So sorry to hear this!

Valerie

Sorry to hear that.

We are living in a community, where people are scared and dogs are used like weapons. I understand that you can use weapons in your house, to defend yourself, but not outside. Here the weapons are brought outside, and they harm innocent people.

Daily, I see them walking in the malecon, with a cholo, with pants practically hanging down, dragging behind the dog. It is ridiculous, they can hardly hold the dog. What happens with the dog, if the pants really fall down ??

Almost 10 years ago, you hardly ever saw a pittbull or German shepard here,.... now they are everywhere. It is a sign of the times (and situation). Muchos miedosos outthere.

Rony

Just like with giant trucks, big pit bulls, teeny peeny!

He is renting and I believe he lives there with his family - he mentioned a young son. They live a block away and around a curve, so we can't see the house. There are family groups walking through the area and I don't know if one of them could be his wife and children. My Spanish wasn't up to explaining that most pitbulls make lousy guard dogs because they are bred to be dog aggressive and people friendly.

Bred to be people friendly? Why are Pit Bulls the Breed that kills more people than all other breeds combined?

just because of their "aspect", they have an impressive aspect, so bad people think that they can get the worst of themselves in the dog, as a mirror....

I am well aware that this dog is an exception - the man who was attacked is my husband.

As a breed, pitbulls were bred to be friendly to people. That's why they make lousy guard dogs. The people attacks usually happen when they attack a dog and someone tried to stop the attack.

• 2012 statistics

• 38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.4

• Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73% (183) of the total recorded deaths (251).

• The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 8-year period. From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 32, about one citizen every 91 days.

Annual data from 2012 shows that 50% (19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79% (15) were ages 2-years and younger.

Annual data also shows that males were more often victims, 61% (23), than females. The majority of male victims, 61% (14), were ages 8-years and younger. Of the total female victims, only 33% (5) fell into this same age group.

In 2012, roughly one-third, 32% (12), of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred. Children 8-years and younger accounted for 75% (9) of these deaths.

34% (13) of all fatalities in 2012 involved more than one dog; 13% (5) involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past, and 5% (2) involved tethered dogs, down from 6% in 2011, 9% in 2010 and 19% in 2009.

In 2012, dogs referred to as a "rescue" accounted for at least 13% (5) attacks that resulted in death. Children suffered the brunt of these attacks with 3 deaths. The adults afflicted, 2 adult females, were killed by their own pack of "rescued" dogs.5

Dog ownership information for 2012 shows that family dogs comprised 58% (22) of all fatal occurrences; 82% (31) of all incidents occurred on the dog owner's property and 18% (7) resulted in criminal charges, down from 29% in 2011.6

California and North Carolina led fatalities in 2012, each with 4 deaths. 75% of the California deaths occurred in San Diego County. Pit bull-type dogs accounted for 88% (7) of the 8 deaths. New Mexico, Ohio and Texas followed, each with 3 deaths.

See: 8-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart (2005 to 2012)

See: 8-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality State Map (2005 to 2012)

The reality is that a well bred pit bull, or any other breed, that has been selectively bred for temperament and disposition by a responsible breeder, can be a good dog. Too many pit bull breeders haven't bothered to breed out dog aggression. It is difficult and costly to train a dog to do something that is contrary to his basic nature. It takes 7 to 10 generations (depending on which scientist you read) of careful, selective breeding to remove an unwanted trait or a genetic abnormality. Responsible hobby breeders breed for health and disposition. Backyard breeders don't bother.

Unfortunately too many pitbull breeders have chosen to concentrate on big, ugly heads and broad shoulders over temperament and disposition.

As MtnMama pitbull are nice dogs but unfortunately many breeders are irresponsible and breed aggressive dogs, once you have one of those it is very difficult to change it, it is a real shame. I am sorry your husband had to go through that frightning experience and thank God the dog did not go after a kid.

That dog should be put to sleep, dog escape and then you have a tragedy.

Archived