Chapala.com Webboard

Streaming VIdeo, XBMCHUB, Raku, or other

NLU

There must be a lot of us out there who have some knowledge but a lot of problems anyway. Let’s try to share what we know, either by PM, private e-mail or meeting at LCS or a local establishment.

If you post here, or PM me, I will try to move my suggestion along.

Please!!!! Those of you who think streaming TV is a bad idea because of bandwidth problems, unsatisfactory content, or any other reason, please do not hijack this thread. Just leave those of us who you think don’t know what we are doing alone to do what we don’t know. Thank you for your courtesies.

I've been listening to some of my favorite radio station via a couple of different apps. As of late some of them won't come in unless I use a VPN. It's easy to find an IP number that indicates all kinds of cities in the US for both audio and video. But sometimes I want to use the greater Vancouver area. And so far those VPNs I have looked at gave GTA or Montréal and other areas in the East, but not Vancouver etc.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good provider of VPNs for many locations in Canada?

Oh, sure I stream video too, but not too much, maybe that's why when I check my internet speeds, I get what I pay for. I know others who stream a lot and were not upgraded the last time the speeds went up. I pay Telmex $599 per month and get

3046341040.png

In my case, the bandwidth only drops 20% +/- and at the stated speeds above, I have no trouble. Also remember that Telecable offers up to 15 megs down by about 2 megs up, and depending where you live, they are much more reliable than before

We use a Ruku for streaming, there are lots of free channels but we also subscribe to USTV Now and pay $39/Mo and get most US channels as well as Discovery, NatGeo, etc. and a DVR service with no restrictions except a 4 week holding time. It sometimes has buffering issues but in general is fine for us. You can get a free subscription that you can watch on your computer only and just the networks but it will give you a chance to see if it works on your connection.

I wished I could get a better speed for streaming:

3047225069.png

I don't recall if we've discussed this before... your speed is the $399 TelMex monthly speed. If you are paying the $599, then there is definitely something wrong. Lots of your neighbours get the speed they are paying for, so you should be able to as well.

We use a Ruku for streaming, there are lots of free channels but we also subscribe to USTV Now and pay $39/Mo and get most US channels as well as Discovery, NatGeo, etc. and a DVR service with no restrictions except a 4 week holding time. It sometimes has buffering issues but in general is fine for us. You can get a free subscription that you can watch on your computer only and just the networks but it will give you a chance to see if it works on your connection.

Can you give me a contact for USTV? The thing I miss most about the states is the ability to record by DVR. We will be moving soon and would love to avail myself pf this service.

The bandwidth down here is barely adequate for streaming. If you have to go thru an IP hider, you can write it off entirely.

I found torrents years ago and use them now. No ads and high quality.

Two kinds of VPN. One yes is does slow you down. Other does not but costs more as you would expect.

I'm no expert on the subject, but the type that has the least effect, I understand is called a tunnel VPN. The tunnel VPN I experimented around with called Tunnelbear still slowed the signal down, but not too much.

Please those of you who know more, add to or correct what I posted. It's time for me to learn much more about the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

My computer savvy son-in-law says they can hook up a Slingbox at their house in the states and we could watch from here. Is there anyone in town that would be able to do what would be needed on my side to accomplish this. Has anyone worked with Computerland or Benno for something like this?

Sure, slingbox can be a great solution. But in my case it was easier to go satellite. Because should I use slingbox my download/upload volume up north would go up so much that my monthly Comcast bill up north would go up by more than $50 (If I remember correctly, perhaps more, I don't remember)

I find it simpler to subscribe down here to a service up north.

Also remember to receive a good signal from slingbox that you must subscribe to a rather fast and expensive internet connection down here in order to receive the programing from up north in HD.

Therefore it made more sense for me as I said above to subscribe to a service from up north down here.

Sure, slingbox can be a great solution. But in my case it was easier to go satellite. Because should I use slingbox my download/upload volume up north would go up so much that my monthly Comcast bill up north would go up by more than $50 (If I remember correctly, perhaps more, I don't remember)

I find it simpler to subscribe down here to a service up north.

Also remember to receive a good signal from slingbox that you must subscribe to a rather fast and expensive internet connection down here in order to receive the programing from up north in HD.

Therefore it made more sense for me as I said above to subscribe to a service from up north down here.

Thanks, I'll send this on to my son-in-law to ensure that we don't cost them mega bucks. I have been contacted by someone here with experience doing this. My be my option will be to install satellite and use Slingbox in my own house to record shows rather then using PVR.

Can you give me a contact for USTV? The thing I miss most about the states is the ability to record by DVR. We will be moving soon and would love to avail myself pf this service.

ustvnow.com

Thanks, I'll send this on to my son-in-law to ensure that we don't cost them mega bucks. I have been contacted by someone here with experience doing this. My be my option will be to install satellite and use Slingbox in my own house to record shows rather then using PVR.

Good answer from NOB "We do have a large bandwidth internet pipe at the house"

http://watchseries.it

Almost every TV series ever made. Find a server (there will be a list) that does not require registration. I am averse to anything that requires registration.

Also: http://www.primewire.ag/

Almost every movie that was ever made.

Some before they are released in the theaters! Some obviously from day of release shot with a video cam and very bad sound.

Plus, there is a company in Guadalajara that still provides 100% of DISH US channels (including all PPV) for $200 pesos/mo. (I think) via a 8' dish and FTA receiver w/internet capability to receive the ICCS decoder files.<sp?> (Nfusion type)

They won a court case Dish brought against them but the Mexican Court said Dish was not allowed to broadcast their signal into Mexico pursuant to their own contract with the US FCC! Dish partially won when the Court ordered the company not to advertise DISH.

I heard recently it is still available -- but don't recall where.

I don't recall if we've discussed this before... your speed is the $399 TelMex monthly speed. If you are paying the $599, then there is definitely something wrong. Lots of your neighbours get the speed they are paying for, so you should be able to as well.

The $399 package says ''up to 3mbps. Here's the link to the paquetes:http://www.telmex.com/mx/hogar/paquetes.html

I have the $399 package and I'm getting the full 3mbps download speed.

We use Apple TV. Yes, there's a charge for most shows, but not much. I don't worry about how quickly the shows or movies download because I set them and then do something else. I've never used it for radio, but you've inspired me to investigate. We do download podcasts onto the iPad and then listen to them in the car--and I think that's always free.

Archived