Chapala.com Webboard

Albondigas soup

gary0131

It's really, really easy to make. No browning the meatballs, just plop'em in the soup till they're done.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2011/08/alb%C3%B3ndigas-de-jalisco-estilo-diana-kennedyjalisco-style-meatballs-from-diana-kennedy-.html

It's really, really easy to make. No browning the meatballs, just plop'em in the soup till they're done.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2011/08/alb%C3%B3ndigas-de-jalisco-estilo-diana-kennedyjalisco-style-meatballs-from-diana-kennedy-.html

More Liana, looks delicious, but isn't this more of a stew than a soup? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

No one asked how make it, just want to find where to find it via a restaurant.

More Liana, looks delicious, but isn't this more of a stew than a soup? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Hmmm...not really a stew, not really a soup. But really really delicious!

Oooh, an albondigas cook-off! What fun! Listen, guys, even though the quantity of mint in the recipe is tiny, it's truly what makes these meatballs Mexican. Don't forget to put it in!

Provecho, everybody!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I, too, thought El Serape had a very good albondigas soup until today when I had it at Chile Verde in Ajijic centro. OMG! It truly is the best I have ever had. It's almost indescribable, but I'll try. The meatballs are large and mixed with rice, loosely packed and full of flavor. The broth is beautiful; clean and not greasy. Tender carrots and calabacitas provide extra flavor and visual appeal. The portion was twice the size of El Serape's and their freshly made tortillas are divine. I could barely finish the bowl, but there was no way I was leaving anything to waste. I'm not sure of the exact price since they just tell you what the bill comes to and hubby's meal was included. Couldn't be more than 50 pesos, though.

They only serve it on Tuesdays. On Saturdays, they serve up an incredible pozole, by the way. I've never had a bad meal there. Excellent food and very reasonable prices. It's a real find.

post-32529-0-42389100-1397603667_thumb.j

I, too, thought El Serape had a very good albondigas soup until today when I had it at Chile Verde in Ajijic centro. OMG! It truly is the best I have ever had. It's almost indescribable, but I'll try. The meatballs are large and mixed with rice, loosely packed and full of flavor. The broth is beautiful; clean and not greasy. Tender carrots and calabacitas provide extra flavor and visual appeal. The portion was twice the size of El Serape's and their freshly made tortillas are divine. I could barely finish the bowl, but there was no way I was leaving anything to waste. I'm not sure of the exact price since they just tell you what the bill comes to and hubby's meal was included. Couldn't be more than 50 pesos, though.

They only serve it on Tuesdays. On Saturdays, they serve up an incredible pozole, by the way. I've never had a bad meal there. Excellent food and very reasonable prices. It's a real find.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

where is Chili Verde's? Can't picture it.

Thanks!

The recipe is wonderfully explained and photographed. I have marked my calendar for a cool day this summer ....I just have to find real lard. Should I keep it in the refrig? Freeze extra?

And I will try it at El Sarape, too.

Carol

The recipe is wonderfully explained and photographed. I have marked my calendar for a cool day this summer ....I just have to find real lard. Should I keep it in the refrig? Freeze extra?

And I will try it at El Sarape, too.

Carol

You can buy lard from a butcher. The butcher at the corner of Guadalupe Victoria and the andador (where the Art Walk takes place) has it. Take a smallish container--I buy about 1/4 kilo at a time, so something small. Store your lard in the refrigerator. It lasts for months. No need to freeze.

Archived