Chapala.com Webboard

Question about registering new Temporal at the border

Mainecoons

Background: I have a Residente Permanente, to give us time to deal with the car problem, my wife let her FM3 go and came in on a Tourist Permit last time. We'll be turning in the car sticker for the "problem" car at the border and she'll turn in her Tourist Permit as well, both well within the 6 month limit.

She'll be getting a Temporal at the Mexican Consul in Irving Texas. We'll be returning in our Jalisco plated car having left the other car with my brother in law.

Question: Does my wife have to stop at the border and "register" her Temporal from the Mexican Consul? Or can we just continue on and she goes in at Chapala to complete the process within the 30 days?

Thanks.

Background: I have a Residente Permanente, to give us time to deal with the car problem, my wife let her FM3 go and came in on a Tourist Permit last time. We'll be turning in the car sticker for the "problem" car at the border and she'll turn in her Tourist Permit as well, both well within the 6 month limit.

She'll be getting a Temporal at the Mexican Consul in Irving Texas. We'll be returning in our Jalisco plated car having left the other car with my brother in law.

Question: Does my wife have to stop at the border and "register" her Temporal from the Mexican Consul? Or can we just continue on and she goes in at Chapala to complete the process within the 30 days?

Thanks.

You have 30 days from issue at the consulate to get it started here. You don't want to pick it up from the consulate too early.

It is not when you cross the border, it is 30 days after issue.

They probably will have no idea what to do with it at the border.

The only two things that I can think of for stopping at the border is if you claim the tax exemption you can't be out more than 35 days a year and that is passport and MX has some law about capital gains on home sales and that is passport also.

My personal preference is to give as little info to any government as possible.

Actually, you have 180 days, from issue of pre-approval at a consulate, to enter Mexico.

Then, you have to report to INM at your destination within 30 days to begin the finalization process leading to issuance of the visa card.

At bridge #2 they know what to do, you fill out a new FMM, give them your passport with approval (it's a sticker they put on a page) and they issue a 30 day FMM. I wrote across the top of mine Residente Temporal and in the block for "reason for entering MX" you put "other" as you're not a tourist etc.

Archived