Chapala.com Webboard

lobita

Okay, this may be a long shot, but I thought it was worth asking.

I notice that when people post to the board looking for a particular item, a frequent response is 'find a local craftsman to make it for you to order'.

Well, I have a pair of sandals that I love, and they are worn almost to falling-apart. They are beyond any sort of repair -- the leather is actually starting to disintegrate. Would there happen to be a zapatero in the area who could take my existing sandals apart and duplicate them?

Failing that, I will need to buy new sandals before long, and I would love recommendations for locally-made leather sandals, if such a thing exists. So far all I've seen are plastic sandals, which is no bueno.

I have seen a small shoe repair place in Chapala on Degollado between Juarez and Zaragoza . It is on the south side of the street but you need to look for it because it is a tiny shop. remember closed 2-4 every day. Not sure if they can build a pair from scratch but looks as if it has been in business a long time so they may have the knowledge to help you with this.

When we were there in July; ladies sandals were 350 pesos; men's fine

huaraches with enclosed toes were 1300 pesos. Quoted lead time

from date of order was 22 days, actual was 30 days.

Sr. does not speak any English, so when he calls to tell you

they are ready, his phone message will be one word "Huaraches".

His sandals are real works of art - I have a friend in the States who had two pairs of his sandals made to fit her feet which are pretty deformed due to a congenital bone condition - they are the only shoes she has that she can walk in and she has spent thousands NOB on orthopedic custom shoes. One word of advice if you live here - it's worth it to have him do a fitting midway through the process if you have anything other than super-normal feet. Worth the extra trip to Joco, IMHO.

I find the above info similar to my experience, but I did get mine in 21 days. Guess it depends on how busy Sr Trujillo is. I have 3 pairs of his huaraches, the first two pictured (Petatillo Voltiado and Petatillo Voltiado Para Playa), and the "simple but elegant ‘Cruzado Sencillo’." The tongued Petatillo Voltiado is great for long pants, and the Petatillo Voltiado Para Playa is good for shorts. Fantastic shoes that will last forever. The Cruzado Sencillo sandals quickly became my favorite shoes here in Ajijic. I wore them daily walking around the cobblestone streets. Unfortunately they only lasted about 9 months before the front leather strips started breaking around my toes. Had them repaired but then other strips broke and I gave up on them. At 400p I'll just buy another pair, every year, if I have to, as I live in those things. To be fair I was pretty hard on them.

I've heard that he sells "ready made" huaraches (as opposed to custom made) at the Joco tiangus. Can anyone confirm this?

• 1 month later...
We recently had some Huraches made by Miguel Ramirez Trujillo and figured we would post some photos to highlight the high quality of his craftsmanship. We learned of his existence through this web board. Thank You!
He is a true master Huarachero. His Huraches are works of art.
The process begins with a visit to his home based shop. He will then trace your feet on a piece of paper and measure the circumference of your arch. 3 weeks later you have custom made huraches. Give him a call or just stop by to start your own custom sandals. Well worth the modest costs.
His contact information is:
Miguel Ramirez Trujillo
178 Calle Guadalupe Victoria
Jocotepec, Centro
Telephone: (387) 763-2367
email: zerimarjoco@hotmail(DOT)com - replace (DOT) with a "."
Excellent Hurache Blog:

http://huaracheblog.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/senor-trujillo-artist-and-huarachero-from-jocotepec/

Pictures:
Petatillo Voltiado Para Playa:
25aj5m9.jpg
Petatillo Voltiado Cerrado:
262wqio.jpg
Doble Ocho with a custom heel:
302ne5y.jpg

I have the pair like Luckies above, only flat soles. The rubber would be better for the cobbles I bet. I find mine slippery, but good for dancing! Mine took much longer. I had to go back in a month for refitting before he finished them, then back a month later to pick them up. Then I went back again because too tight. They sure fit well!

• 3 months later...

It is a private house...his workshop is halfway in the building and he has a few pairs to show as samples. There is no sign on the building...if you go towards the lake...his home is on the right side. It features stone entrance blocks...just go to the exact number as given above. He is home most of the time and is always happy to receive customers. Due to the chaotic construction where our Thursday market was/is...he does not currently show there.

His street is a left off the main street that is one blk. past the Elektra store on your left going West. I just had two pair of shoes made and I'm very pleased with both of them.

The first photo in the link below is the exterior of his home / workshop. He works in the back of the building. No sign.

http://huaracheblog.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/senor-trujillo-artist-and-huarachero-from-jocotepec/

Miguel Ramirez Trujillo

178 Calle Guadalupe Victoria

Jocotepec, Centro

Telephone: (387) 763-2367

email: zerimarjoco@hotmail(DOT)com - replace (DOT) with a "."

From Ajijic drive to Jocotepec. At the first street light in Joco take a left as the highway goes around centro. Go about 3 blocks and turn right where the highway turns. Travel about 4 blocks until you see Calle Guadalupe Victoria and turn right. His home will be to the left.

Sr. does not speak any English, so when he calls to tell you

they are ready, his phone message will be one word "Huaraches".

Is the price 1,300 or was a "1" inserted in front of 300?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for directions. We have ordered a pair of men's huraches. It was easy to find and easy to deal with. Sr. Trujillo has a few words of English and we a few words of Spanish. All and all it made for an easy transaction.

There is a young man working there so, hopefully, the business will last into the future.

• 1 year later...

Updated this information here, because reviews as well as updated info are very useful:

Updated contact info as of March/2016: Visited Senor Trujillo this week.  Beautiful Quality! It will take about 4 weeks, and these shoes will be fitted exactly to each foot... perfecto! I ordered a lovely pair of huaraches! We could not reach by phone or email, so we went for a visit.  He has a new phone number of  (cell) 332-231-0593.  Best way though, is to just visit during the day.  Easy to find... From Ajijic drive to Jocotepec on main drive you will drive right into Joco, towards center of town.  Miguel Ramirez Trujillo 178 Calle Guadalupe Victoria will be a left turn up ahead, before you reach the center.    His blog has photos, but his email and phone listed there are old and do not afford communication.

On October 10, 2013 at 0:59 PM, puro guero said:

Huarachero extraordinaire is:

Miguel Ramirez Trujillo

Guadalupe Victoria 178

Jocotepec

See his work here.

Archived