Chapala.com Webboard

US Notary in Lakeside

When we sold our US house from down here, the title company made it quite clear that the ONLY legal notarization here would be from the consulate. We went to LCS on the consulate visiting day and got it done quite easily (with payment, of course), but unfortunately that's not an option this month due to the shutdown.

Notaries can't work (legally) outside of the states in which they were licensed.

I have heard of many people saying that their documents were notarized by a US notary down here and the document was accepted without question, but I wonder what would be the ramifications if the notarization was ever challenged.

Most institutions NOB will accept a Mexican Notario. It's easier, inexpensive and legal.

"Most"??? Have you taken a scientific poll? If the institution will take a Mexican Notario, get that permission in writing and save it forever.

Daisy's post #2 is 100% correct in regard to US Notaries.

Luis Enrique Ramos Bustillos located in lower Chula vista can notarize document for you.

his office just up behind the moldarama store on the left side of the street across from sunrise restaurant

check with company you are sending document to,

I sent many mexcian notarized documents to US and they were accepted

Go to consulate in Guad and get it done or ask them if you can use a Mexican Notary. Those really are your two legal options. Using a Califonia Notary in Lakeside is not valid. With the exception of the Federal government a notary is only licensed to do work in the state they are licensed in and other states that respect your notary license. My info comes from my wife who was a Lawyer, Public Notary, Mobile Notary and Real Estate Broker in the PNW in recent history. Notary signing outside his/her state is violating his/her license agreement and will lose his/her license eventually which may backfire to the folks who used her/him in Mexico. Kinda like finding out you are not married cause your preacher wasn't really a preacher when he married you. Not worth it unless you have nothing to lose.

Over the 8 years I've been here I've not heard of one that won't.

Banks can sometimes be very stubborn and won't take a Mexican Notary.

It has to do with bank rules which are much worse than they use to be.

Sanity should say they should take a Mexican Notary but some don't.

But nothing wrong with asking that's for sure.

Over the 8 years I've been here I've not heard of one that won't.

I have seen Mexican notaries rejected once in a while and the reason being after fighting with them that they wanted an apostille too.

I found an expat living here with a US notary Stamp. I called the closingUSAttorney and he said that they would accept her stamp.

She charged $250 pesos per signature

Last week, I had my locale Attorney notarize one document for me and the cost was $900 pesos because he had to write a one page document to attach to my document and it took me an hour My locale Attorney told me to go to LCS on Wed and get the American Consulate to notarize any future documents. I went there today and they didn't show up because of budget cuts.

I found an expat living here with a US notary Stamp. I called the closingUSAttorney and he said that they would accept her stamp.

She/he does not have a US Notary Stamp unless she/he is licensed from the Feds. Notaries are licensed from each state. If she has a state stamp it is not valid to be used here and any document would not be legally notarized. Go to Guad and get it done legally. Now if she or he has a legal federal stamp and license to be used outside the United States fine but I have never heard of that. The Federal Notaries at the consulate are US consulate employees. The closing lawyer doesn't know about Notaries unless he thinks she/he has a U.S. federal stamp. Mexico doesn't want U.S. Notaries signing here other than the consulate folks. Would a Mexican notary be legal signing and verifying ID in the U.S.? No

Most institutions NOB will accept a Mexican Notario. It's easier, inexpensive and legal.

Mexican notaries' function is Different from US. In the US they just verify your signature-1,2,3! You can get it for free or very low cost at your bank in the US.

Mexican notaries are abogados with a higher license. To me it's like apples and oranges. I don't think using a MXN Notary is inexpensive, my dealings with them have NOT been inexpensive. Their job is not to simply see you sign your name in front of them.

Unfortunately, The US Congress sets the cost of the foreign Consulate charges and I believe that is VERY expensive.

. Would a Mexican notary be legal in the U.S.? No

The IRS rejected a US consulate notarized copy of my wife's Mexican passport and insisted on one notarized by a Mexican notary when I applied for her tax identification number,that cost me fifty bucks and the wasted trip to the consulate.

Mexican notaries' function is Different from US. In the US they just verify your signature-1,2,3! You can get it for free or very low cost at your bank in the US.

Mexican notaries are abogados with a higher license. To me it's like apples and oranges. I don't think using a MXN Notary is inexpensive, my dealings with them have NOT been inexpensive. Their job is not to simply see you sign your name in front of them.

Unfortunately, The US Congress sets the cost of the foreign Consulate charges and I believe that is VERY expensive.

Just because the word Notario is similar to Notary does not make their training, knowledge,or services similar. It simply doesn't work that way.

"Most"??? Have you taken a scientific poll? If the institution will take a Mexican Notario, get that permission in writing and save it forever.

Daisy's post #2 is 100% correct in regard to US Notaries.

This is absolutely not true. It all depends on the institution. Ask them what they will accept and do not listen to anyone else. Last year while we were in Mexico, we sold a property in Oregon and the escrow accepted a US notary living at the lake with a valid US stamp and she can be reached at Handimail just east of Superlake. I forget her name but you can call them and they will know.

Just because the word Notario is similar to Notary does not make their training, knowledge,or services similar. It simply doesn't work that way.

It is sort of amazing that people think a Notorio is a Mexican Notary Public.

All a U.S. Notary does is swear that the person signing a document is the person he/she claims he/she is with the identification that is presented. To be a Notary in most states is easy. All one needs to do is ask.

To be a Mexican Notario is difficult. The person is a lawyer with additional training, a sterling reputation, appointed to fill a limited number of positions by the state's governor and approved on a federal level. It isn't anything like asking to be a U.S. state Notary and getting a stamp and a book in the mail.

Well, everyone can debate, what's legal and what's not, but I can tell you from my experience in the last week. I had my signature Notarize yesterday by an expat notary with a US notary stamp here in Lakeside for $250 peso's and Fedex it to the closing Attorney. I'm selling property in the US.

Today I got an email from the Attorney stating , the buyers are happy, he is happy (he got paid) and I'm happy because the sale proceeds were wired to my bank account

Well, everyone can debate, what's legal and what's not, but I can tell you from my experience in the last week. I had my signature Notarize yesterday by an expat notary with a US notary stamp here in Lakeside for $250 peso's and Fedex it to the closing Attorney. I'm selling property in the US.

Today I got an email from the Attorney stating , the buyers are happy, he is happy (he got paid) and I'm happy because the sale proceeds were wired to my bank account

Great for you. But for future readers of this thread - be aware that the entire transaction can be revisited at a later date. While this is unlikely, perhaps even nearly unimaginable, in a real estate transaction, it is ENTIRELY possible in other types of legal matters.

The only important point is this: The US/expat notary commission and stamp has no legal meaning outside his/her state - unless it is the notary at the Consulate.

BigGrig, I know you feel good that you only paid 250 pesos for this expat notary and stamp. But you SHOULD feel ripped off, as what they did was legally worthless. But congrats on the closing of your property sale.

Great for you. But for future readers of this thread - be aware that the entire transaction can be revisited at a later date. While this is unlikely, perhaps even nearly unimaginable, in a real estate transaction, it is ENTIRELY possible in other types of legal matters.

The only important point is this: The US/expat notary commission and stamp has no legal meaning outside his/her state - unless it is the notary at the Consulate.

BigGrig, I know you feel good that you only paid 250 pesos for this expat notary and stamp. But you SHOULD feel ripped off, as what they did was legally worthless. But congrats on the closing of your property sale.

You are correct but the only thing that can be claimed is the person who signed the document was not the person he/she claimed to be. As soon as the person proves his identity is the correct identity, the issue is moot. A Notary is to prevent crooks from signing documents by pretending to be the person who can legally sign.

• 1 year later...

Archived