Chapala.com Webboard

Don't take 85 south into Monterrey now

holdrja

We were driving back Lakeside today from San Antonio (Texas, not Tlayacapan) and decided to take 85 straight down into Monterrey to get a hotel. Bad idea. 85 south, just a bit past the bypass road (maybe 10 minutes?), and just past the university, is completely blocked off by some major construction. Looks like a loooong project. So you're detoured off to the west and then into a very confusing set of multiple roads and a glorieta etc -- we finally got headed back east, and then did a u-turn and got onto a road which led us back to 85 north.

Took us an hour to get back to where the detour had started. We had noticed a hotel, the Sunset Marquis, on the north-bound side of 85 and we pulled into that. Yup, it's a no-tell motel but a really pretty and clean one. They were a bit puzzled when we said we wanted to stay all night but in the end, asked us for the double the 8 hour rate (800 pesos) and that worked for us. In our hour-long excursion among the roads of northern Monterrey, I had not noticed any other hotels, and we were tired. So here we are - it's got internet access and food service. All cash, of course.

Could you give more details please. I'm not sure where you're talking about. Did you have trouble because you left the hyway to go into Monterrey? I'm going that way in a few weeks and would like to avoid trouble.

"85 south, just a bit past the bypass road.."

This confused me a bit at first but then I went back and read carefully. The poster is talking about 'going into' Monterrey.... not taking the bypass around the NW side of Monterrey as we all do. This does not pertain to 85D south from Laredo nor the bypass around Monterrey.... only if one is going into Monterrey for some reason (motel, eat, etc)

Archived