Chapala.com Webboard

Importing a vehicle while driving from Canada to Ajijic

Archibald

This is my first post and I hope to get information that will help me make a decision about importing a car.

We received our permanent resident cards on March 25th. We flew back to Canada on March 29th. Consequently, we left our 2002 Chev van in Mexico with Ontario plates. We are now deciding whether to fly down and nationalize that van when we return in November or to drive down our 2007 Chev van with Ontario plates and nationalize it on the way in Laredo. If so, we would get a retorno seguro and bring the 2002 van back to Canada in April. The “logic” is that the 2007 van is in better shape and will last longer.

We have many questions about bringing the 2007 van down? Is there a broker in Laredo who can be trusted? Would there be much difference in cost (2002 or 2007 van)? Can prep work be done ahead of time so we don’t spend days at the border? Should we stay in Laredo or Nuevo Laredo? Do the Ontario plates stay on the van until we get Jalisco plates? How do we get insurance? Has anyone done this yet? Any suggestions appreciated.

Archived