Chapala.com Webboard

Need help with iPad

grammajuana

I did the suggested up-date on my iPad the other day, and when I was finished, it would not recognize my password. After trying it several times, it locked. I hate the thought of taking it to the Apple store, wherever that might be.....if there is someone here at Lakeside that could figure out how to unlock it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I might call?

Thanks Gracie, but I can't get into the iPad to CHANGE the password without the old password. Now the iPad is disabled. I tried the online help, who instructed me to try to boot from another computer, but that didn't work either, and they suggested the Apple Store, which may be the only answer. But possibly someone on this site is a repair person or knows of one who is familiar with iPads. I think there might be a place in Riberas. I'd like to exhaust my options here before heading to the city.

I did the suggested up-date on my iPad the other day, and when I was finished, it would not recognize my password. After trying it several times, it locked. I hate the thought of taking it to the Apple store, wherever that might be.....if there is someone here at Lakeside that could figure out how to unlock it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I might call?

I have sent you a PM. I just helped someone with this problem over the weekend.

A hard reset may work, although I cannot test without an iPad here. Then a factory reset. These instructions are available on the Web. The factory reset will wipe out any installed apps, but will also wipe out the password.

It might also be worth trying their online help, which can step you through a password reset without knowing the original... usually involving secret questions you answered before.

A hard reset may work, although I cannot test without an iPad here. Then a factory reset. These instructions are available on the Web. The factory reset will wipe out any installed apps, but will also wipe out the password.

It might also be worth trying their online help, which can step you through a password reset without knowing the original... usually involving secret questions you answered before.

The hard reset doesn't work for this issue. I tried it and no luck! The problem is with the passcode that is only known to the owner of the iPad. Apple cannot help reset this. They can only help reset a lost Apple ID/iTunes password. I talked to the Apple help desk over the weekend and they said the only way to do this is through restoring the iPad. This consists of disconnecting the iPad from iTunes, turning it off, then holding down the Home button and reconnecting to iTunes all the time holding down the Home button until the iTunes (not the Apple logo) icon appears on the iPad. At that point the restore process will start. It can take quite a while as the OS has to be reinstalled and the iPad restored from the last backup.

Hold down the start button and the other on button at the same time for several seconds.

Unfortunately this does not resolve the problem. That is what is known as a "hard reset" which is like turning off a computer completely and then restarting it. What is needed is a factory reset as I and ComputerGuy have said. Also see Apple web site

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

The Tech Center in Guadalajara Centro can open & let you have a new password

I assume you are referring to the Passcode, i.e. 4 digit number that you need to unlock the iPad. This is certainly worth knowing, though I wonder what steps they take to make sure that the person who brings the iPad in is the true owner.

When you say the "Tech Center" can you provide the location, please? Is it Plaza TecnoCentro or is it a store in the Plaza de Tecnologia?

The method that I and ComputerGuy have recommended should work. And Apple tech support has confirmed this. But if not, then maybe this is the other option. Thanks

Archived