Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing Jalisco driver's license questions

Mainecoons

Jaja. My teacher's brother is the other teacher at the school and they commute from Guadalajara, but the brother does the driving so I don't think the insurance is as inssue in their case, but yes, good question.

Whether or not you can apply as much as two months prior to expiration, I don't know and I don't see that information on the movilidad website. There is, however, a contact e-mail address on the site so you could try asking by e-mail.............or even phoning one of the Guadalajara offices.

• movilidad@jalisco.gob.mx (I think that was it, may not be correct, it's on the site)

38192425, 38192426

Why don't you just go to the Chapala office and ask. That's what I'm going to do about renewing my Nayarit license to the Jalisco version.

I can tell you that we renewed our Nayarit licenses three months early without complications...just plain didn't want to deal with the aggravation on top of the move here. Life is so easy in some States.

I think you mean Banamex. And I'm pretty sure you can go to the bank first so long as you have the correct account number and know the amount you should be paying, depending upon whether or not it's a new license, a renewal, etc. But either way. If you pick up the slip at Tránsito first, it has all the info you need on it.

I will ask there too but if I do not like the answer, I will go to Guadalajara.for answers, Travis you should say bad joke..

Actually, when I was describing my renewal experience to my Spanish teacher, I initially did use the phrase "bad joke". He said burla was an even better way to describe it. This then led to how to best translate the word sleazy into Spanish... :lol:

OK, I just completed the process. There was a lot of incorrect information on here, on both this thread and a previous one. Including some from me.

To begin, you must go to the license plate/car registration office on Degollado FIRST with your old driver's license. There you pay them 383 pesos and they give you a piece of paper. to take to the driver's license bureau. Do NOT go to Bancomer. This office is on the south side of the street about a block before the street dead ends into the main street that the railroad station is on. It is small and poorly marked, you'll need to look carefully for it.

After paying your fee and getting your receipt, go to the end of Degollado, turn left, go one block, turn left again. That puts you on the one way street heading west that the license renewal place is on.

As Julie posted, it is on 405 Flavio Romero, north side of street, just before Acapulco. I had no problem parking very nearby. It is in a red brick building on the corner.

OK, now here is where there was a lot of incorrect information on the previous thread.

Bring the following:

Your passport and a copy of the photo page.

Your curp paper and a copy of it.

Your Mexican visa and a copy, front and back, of it.

A Telmex or CFE bill and a copy of it.

Your old driver's license

The receipt you just got on Degollado.

If you have all of these and go first to Degollado, this process will be pretty fast.

You cannot start with Bancomer. I just tried that. :)

This is true. Probably because it's the wrong bank. :) You can, however, start at BANAMEX.

(I don't know if you're confusing the two banks or what, but you keep saying Bancomer, and the correct bank is Banamex. Regardless, using the bank is only easier if there's a long line at the Recaudadora, and vice versa. On any given day, and that sort of thing. Overall, renewing is easy. You just need to bring the right junk and let them do their thing.)

bmh, I'm going to start a "sleazy" thread in the Spanish forum. jajaja.

Well, if it is Banamex, that is more wrong information that was posted on previously his board. Thanks for the correction.

However, it is very easy to go and pay at the car license plate office. The two offices are very close together and parking very near either doesn't appear to be a problem.

You're correct. If you bring the right "junk" and copies it is pretty easy.

One interesting final note, I didn't see the usual mordida suspects in this office at all. It seemed like there's a whole new crew. Perhaps the higher ups finally did clean house on this office in response to a lot of complaints from the "customers."

When we were there the Gordito cop that drives the pickup and pulls everyone over to inpound their vehicles was in the office, walking around all puffed up, he stopped and looked at us and I just smiled, he didn't really care for that cause we were renewing and he knew he couldn't get any money out of me as usual.

I think he is conducting the driving part of the test.

Jajaja. Yes. But at least that particular creepy sleazy clown has a sense of humor about it.

When he asked me if I was there for a license, I said, "Yes." Then I waited a few seconds, and just before he could launch into his offer to assist me, I added, "Pero necesito renovarla y nada mas."

He laughed.

Another one for you Travis, how do you say creepy in Spanish. Once we now how to day creepy and sleazy in Spanish we can describe our transito force..

Here's a great description from a book I'm currently reading:

''Es un lugar siniestro, una tétrica versión mexicana.......''

We got our CURP on the spot in a government office just outside the entrance to a Soriana in Manzanillo. It took 5 minutes start to finish. So how can you be waiting for a CURP?

When I went to the Municipal Office in Chapala, where the issue the CURP, I was told that they they only issued them to Mexican's at that office. If we were ex-pats, we could get them in Guadalajara. I walked around the corner to Spencer's office, and they got it for me at the immigration office in Chapala. It took less than a week. I may have been able to do it myself there as well, but Spencer only charged 200 pesos, which was well worth not having to take a number and check back numerous times.

Again, thanks for all the help. We bought our new Mexico car today, a 2012 Honda CRV. I hate like heck to give up my 2006 mint CRV with 48K miles but the new one really is a beautiful ride. We'll be taking the 2006 out to sell it to my brother in law and spouse will apply for permanente while we're out.

Shortly, we should have all this wrapped up.

We were contacted by a fellow in Colorado who saw my post on this board. He flew down here to buy our 2006 Honda CR-V and paid us up front after a friend of his had checked our car out for him. He is happy and we are happy. We found a 2011 Toyota RAV-4 that had never been sold by the dealer, just used as a demo then driven by company exec's. So we bought it as the original owners. It is just like new and has a bumper-to-bumper warranty until 2019. We saved a ton of money and are really happy with the "new" car. Now we're waiting for the Residentes Permanentes to come through.

PS: I loved our CR-V but the RAV-4 kicks butt on acceleration.

Archived