Chapala.com Webboard

Maestro vs. Maistro

bdlngton

languages that survives are languages that are flexible and people come up with ways of expressing things and ways they feel are missing, I guess it is probably an exemple of a word that may become its own word down the line but is not recognized yet by the dictionaries and then maybe not,,..

According with the dictionary, there is only one word: maestro (teacher), also we use the same word as a qualification for some person that really knows how to do something, like the one that never fails answering in tennis, we say "wow he is a maestro". But, in Mx. we have "slang", so it is real common in most of this Country, to call "máistro" a mason that knows more than the simple mason (albañil), usually is the person that is in charge of the entire crew. Usually this men know almost the same as an architect but, they do not have the title, just the experience. And it is good to know for everyone all the words even if they are grammatically incorrect, but the words are real common for the every day conversations.... :)

Gracias, La Delfina! That was the explanation I was hoping for, not a reference to the dictionary. While "maestro" may be slang it is apparently commonly used.

Gracias, La Delfina! That was the explanation I was hoping for, not a reference to the dictionary. While "maestro" may be slang it is apparently commonly used.

'Maestro' is not slang.

Archived