Chapala.com Webboard

Another way to deal with foreign plated cars

tomgates

A friend of mine, when renewing their visas, got a 4 year Resident Temporary for him and the Permanent for his wife. The car was in his name. We took his Visa paperwork, passport, and electric bill to the Aduana office at the airport (the one across from the Oxxo) and they knew what to do and he got papers that made his foreign car legal for the duration of his 4 year visa, and no fee to do this. Done in 20 minutes.

Tom, that will work, and I'd recently heard of that, so I did a spreadsheet and at the bottom line it was far far cheaper to just nationalize the darn car, the upkeep and maintenance on a wife at this time of life is - - - well? (and then I suppose you have to also consider why any lady would want to put up with me)

That's a biiiiig spread sheet. If you figure my cost to go to the border just to get a new Temporal, that's significant plus what I will still have to pay down here.

But, to cancel a Permanente is a chunk, then the travel to the border (unless you're Canuck coming down anyway) and then the new TIP (which should be refunded) plus minor costs are negligible and assuming you follow the law and drive back out it would be cheaper - but, only if you're here for 6 months, then out. And, that doesn't count any related Permanente benefits (if there are any).

Trust me, I've got spreadsheets for the spreadsheets and twisted and turned it every way but out - which is what I assume the DF did and we can't win, end of subject - period. Now, to remain Permanente, then the best option is to nationalize and be done with it until the next time they have a brain f--t and who knows?

That's a biiiiig spread sheet. If you figure my cost to go to the border just to get a new Temporal, that's significant plus what I will still have to pay down here.

But, to cancel a Permanente is a chunk, then the travel to the border (unless you're Canuck coming down anyway) and then the new TIP (which should be refunded) plus minor costs are negligible and assuming you follow the law and drive back out it would be cheaper - but, only if you're here for 6 months, then out. And, that doesn't count any related Permanente benefits (if there are any).

Trust me, I've got spreadsheets for the spreadsheets and twisted and turned it every way but out - which is what I assume the DF did and we can't win, end of subject - period. Now, to remain Permanente, then the best option is to nationalize and be done with it until the next time they have a brain f--t and who knows?

Last option sounds like the best, since only The Shadow knows what's going to happen....someday.

A friend of mine, when renewing their visas, got a 4 year Resident Temporary for him and the Permanent for his wife. The car was in his name. We took his Visa paperwork, passport, and electric bill to the Aduana office at the airport (the one across from the Oxxo) and they knew what to do and he got papers that made his foreign car legal for the duration of his 4 year visa, and no fee to do this. Done in 20 minutes.

I'm missing something. If he has a Temporal why did he need to take his papers to the Aduana office? Everyone I know who has a foreign plated vehicle and a Temporal, they haven't done anything different than get the Temporal just like with an FM3. His wife's permanante would one effect a vehicle that is in her name.

I'm missing something. If he has a Temporal why did he need to take his papers to the Aduana office? Everyone I know who has a foreign plated vehicle and a Temporal, they haven't done anything different than get the Temporal just like with an FM3. His wife's permanante would one effect a vehicle that is in her name.

If you don´t go to ADUANA your deposit is lost after your last INM document expired.

Then you have nothing to lose. I had one like that for 6 years, but turned it in 2 weeks ago to get a new Temporal and so paid my $300 deposit and now have to be sure I keep my Aduana notification up to date so I can get it back.

However, I did have Spencer get paperwork for the last two years to show I was "legal" and several times when I was stopped I just handed them the papers and they waved me on. And as soon as I get my new Temporal card he will prepare new papers for the car.

If the OP was stating how to keep a deposit that ranges from $200-$400 USD, then that doesn't compare to nationalizing a vehicle for up to $3000 USD. Even if you loose $400 by not notifying Aduana every year, the vehicle is still legal and losing $400 is cheaper than nationalizing. I still don't get the OP's original message.

Actually, now that I look at it, I think I misread his intention. I was going down the path of her Permanente making the car not legal and this was a way to legalize it through his Temporal visa and had nothing to do with nationalization - my bad. I believe his point is that with the husband being Temporal, all you do is report it to Aduana and that validates your change in visa status and approves the car. He has now locked down the legal status of the car for the duration of his 4 year Temporal. And that is what Spencer does and I will have him do for me as soon as my Temporal card comes through. With the new Temporal you can get 4 years, with the FM3 we had to renew each year and report to Aduana each year.

I tend to reluctantly agree. In my case I'm only here for another year, then back NOB for maybe a year and if/when I come back I'll do Permanente, nationalize and bend over and get the brand on my backsides - but not until then.

Savings (and lack of headaches) of not having to renew visa for 10 years - about $1,500 US. Cost to nationalize car - we paid about $1,700 US.

I wouldn't be comparing this to involuntary sodomy. Sounds more like just a little foreplay followed with a decent glass of Merlot.

Actually, now that I look at it, I think I misread his intention. I was going down the path of her Permanente making the car not legal and this was a way to legalize it through his Temporal visa and had nothing to do with nationalization - my bad. I believe his point is that with the husband being Temporal, all you do is report it to Aduana and that validates your change in visa status and approves the car. He has now locked down the legal status of the car for the duration of his 4 year Temporal. And that is what Spencer does and I will have him do for me as soon as my Temporal card comes through. With the new Temporal you can get 4 years, with the FM3 we had to renew each year and report to Aduana each year.

Man o Man, this is already giving me a headache. The car is in the husband's name. The husband is temporal and can legally have a foreign plated vehicle. One assumes the car was legally imported at the border and the car stays legal as long as his status is legal. He can lose the deposit but the car is still legal. The only downside to not notifying Aduana each year is he looses his deposit and can't get his deposit back.

I missed what the OP thinks is a new way to keep the vehicle legal. There is nothing new that I read unless I missed something.

That is one of the new good things, if you buy a 4 year Temporal, there is no change in status so your car is essentially "legal" as far as I can see.

So that is what this whole thread was about, the obvious that your TIP is good as long as your Temporal is good for one year or up to four years. Why is this new information? How is this a new way to make a vehicle legal?

Archived