Chapala.com Webboard

Need some information about Libraries

solajijic

I would like to talk with a professional librarian over lunch or early dinner. I have some questions about how library systems are structured and various other library administrative details. SEnd me a PM with how to reach you via email. Thanks.

Thank you to the poster who called this morning and was able to answer my questions. Primarily I wanted to figure out who had the administrative responsibility for contracting with Amazon for ebooks for a small independent library.

Our small town suburban community was able to support an independent library with property millage issues on the ballot. It did not participate in the County-Metropolitan Library system but it did participate in the State Library system. This gave them access to the county resources via the state but without having to contribute their resources to the continguous suburbs which did not have an adequate tax base to float their own library millage issues.

Where would the cost plus responsibility lie within the system for contracting for ebooks? The librarians I could talk with this past summer during a visit weren't able to give me anything other than an overview of the way ebooks work from the library point of view.

I had not realized that after I chose my library book and went to check it out that I would be sent from my library website to Amazon Kindle books to take the book out for 2 weeks by downloading it into my library website account and then onto my Kindle via USB connection. All of this straight from Amazon, just like when I purchase a book.

So the library does not necessarily own the books. It pays a fee for access and then a usage fee per title when the title is taken out electronically. When 5 people are on the waiting list for a title the library is given access to a second electronic copy. Each library account has a wishlist where you are encouraged to list the books you want to read. The program keeps track and when a varying number of people request a book it is then made available. Very efficient.

So thanks for calling me this morning and answering my questions.

Archived