Chapala.com Webboard

Perry's Fish n' Chips!!!!!

localguy

My wife and I took her friend went there today. All three of us thought the fish and chips were great. Didn't try anything else.

The waiter that everyone is talking about didn't show up for work to day. Perry was running the place by himself.

I'm sure it will take him time to get reliable help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading the decent reviews about this place, we tried it today. Wish we hadn't. Everything on our plate was incredibly greasy and had a funky taste. It came out piping hot but the heat did nothing to hide the greasy feel, nasty taste and texture. With the other choices available locally, such as Lake Taco and Maganas, I don't see how he's going to make it unless people in the neighborhood want a place they can walk to. A full order is 2 pieces of fish, a half order is one piece, and at Lake Taco a full order is usually three to four pieces with a ton of fries. BTW, he has a new waiter that's fairly nice, and the owner himself waited on us, so I have no complaints about the service, just the food.

I notice in lots of fish restaurants, usually the little joints, that the fish has a dusty taste, seriously, like dust or dirt. Not much on the web about it, but it appears to mean that the fish is not fresh. Or as someone described, like potting soil.

Here's another: "The solution is to take the the fish back to the store. That muddy taste is a result of bad pond management by the fish farmers. Two different chemical compounds are responsible for the flavor and places like Costco and Whole Foods shouldn't be selling muddy tasting fish. Here's the scientific explanation:

"The off-flavor phenomenon is most commonly associated with periods of high water temperatures, high fish stocking densities and heavy feeding regimes which are common under today's production techniques as opposed to the conditions found in the early years of the industry."

"Two chemical compounds, Geosmin and 2-Methylisoborneol (MIB), have been identified as the cause of a majority of off-flavor incidents. Geosmin and MIB are secondary metabolic products of some species of bluegreen algae and actinomycete bacteria. MIB causes a flavor to be imparted to the flesh described as "musty" or "lagoon" and geosmin results in "earthy" or "woody" flavors."

Read the whole report at http://www.uaex.edu/aquaculture/fsa/fsa9051.htm

Interesting. I did not find the fish bad on so many levels. I thought it was tasty, although for sure it had that potting soil taste the first bite or two. So I'm not sure I can understand your description...

Well, hubby and I tried it today and we both thought the fish, chips and onion rings were great. Not greasy at all. The batter on the fish and rings was absolutely perfect; not overly thick and fried to perfection. The fries were a tad bit greasy, but I kind of like that, especially when the potato flavor really stands out like Perry's did. Coleslaw was excellent. I also tried the clam chowder and loved the diced potatoes in it and the creamy texture.

Perry, himself, is a hoot and he's handling the whole operation alone right now, but looking for a cook, and a waitress that speaks English.

If Cafe Magaña is your go-to place for fish and chips, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't try Perry's at least once.

All in all, an excellent meal and we will definitely go back and bring friends!

Well, hubby and I tried it today and we both thought the fish, chips and onion rings were great. Not greasy at all. The batter on the fish and rings was absolutely perfect; not overly thick and fried to perfection. The fries were a tad bit greasy, but I kind of like that, especially when the potato flavor really stands out like Perry's did. Coleslaw was excellent. I also tried the clam chowder and loved the diced potatoes in it and the creamy texture.

Perry, himself, is a hoot and he's handling the whole operation alone right now, but looking for a cook, and a waitress that speaks English.

If Cafe Magaña is your go-to place for fish and chips, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't try Perry's at least once.

All in all, an excellent meal and we will definitely go back and bring friends!

Amen!!!

Heidi and I with a friend ate at Perry's today and, as usual, everything was excellent! I had fish tacos and both Heidi and Doreen had fish and chips. Nothing was greasy. He's really improved the appearance of his restaurant. All I can say is that it's great fish and chips without the attitude!

Rick

Five of us went to Perry's on Thursday night and had very good fish and chips all around. After another table of 4 patrons left, we were the only customers and had a chance to chat with Perry. The full order of fish and chips is 2 very generous pieces, served with fries; the half order is one piece, with the same fries. Beverages currently are limited to an assortment of sodas, but it is my understanding that the variety will expand. In addition to the fish and chips, Perry offered a chili (not tried) and was out of his clam chowder, which other posters have reviewed. We did try the onion rings as an appetizer (the large rings, not shoestring) and they--as the fish and chips--were served piping hot. Had no complaints at all about the tasty and meaty fish (a ratio of more fish than batter), the oil was clearly fresh, and neither the fries nor the onion rings tasted fishy, so he appears to be diligent about keeping the fryer oil separate. Malt vinegar as well as white vinegar are on the table, along with catsup.

Parking on the street in the village is, well...pretty much as looking for side-street parking on any street in Ajijic: sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Our two vehicles parked reasonably close, so that wasn't an issue for us that night.

We'll go back when our next fish and chip craving strikes. Perry is (currently) serving daily 11-7, closed on Sundays.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Perry's. Had a very nice meal. Clam chowder was especially good tonight since Perry told us he had to by fresh clams in Guadalajara yesterday and shuck them for the chowder. We each had a half order of fish and chips, pleasantly surprised, light, crispy battered fish, excellent fries and some nice homemade onion rings. Perry was very friendly, he acted as cook and server, the food came out fast and was nice and hot. Malt vinegar on the table is great and anyone who serves Heinz ketchup can't be a bad guy. We live a block away, so parking is not an issue, we will definately go back.

anyone who serves Heinz ketchup can't be a bad guy. We live a block away, so parking is not an issue, we will definately go back.

Note to other restaurant owners.... Most gringos are quite pleased to see Heinz ketchup on the table rather than another brand. It makes a big difference. My wife is reluctant to return if the funky translucent substitute ketchup is served. On a similar note, I have never seen a gringo put ketchup on their pizza...

Ack, back home it's common practice to put bulk ketchup in Heinz bottles. Probably the same here at many places. And of course that translucent stuff isn't really ketchup; it's a type of salsa. You get it in shrimp cocktail and the link. You can make your own with ketchup and 7-Up.

Note to other restaurant owners.... Most gringos are quite pleased to see Heinz ketchup on the table rather than another brand. It makes a big difference. My wife is reluctant to return if the funky translucent substitute ketchup is served. On a similar note, I have never seen a gringo put ketchup on their pizza...

But the high school kids in Vermont pour ranch dressing on it!

Carol

Brazil recently banned some batches of Mexican Heinz ketchup because they were found to contain rodent fur.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23777310%C2'>

Actually the Heinz ketchup here doesn't taste or look the same as the Heinz ketchup in Ontario (can't speak for elsewhere). Luckily I don't like ketchup but it's great that Perry has malt vinegar on the table.

Heinz recipe for Ketchup is totally different for the product made in Mexico. You can, in GDL buy US Ketchup and most likely at the new gourmet food store next to HSBC across from Walmart (They also have an incredible store on Terranova in GDL and another in P.V. The Mexican product is far sweeter...........but so is Coca Cola which is made with cane sugar in Mexico and a huge volume is shipped and sold in Chicago to satisfy the tastes of the significant Mexican population.

Archived