Chapala.com Webboard

brought to you by the letter X

lobita

Hay: there is, there are, pronounced EYE (what you see with)

Ay: expression of surprise or dismay, pronounced EYE (what you see with)

Allí: there (as in a place, "Búscalo allí'--look for it there.) Pronounced ah-EEE, with elision.

Hay: there is, there are, pronounced EYE (what you see with)

Ay: expression of surprise or dismay, pronounced EYE (what you see with)

Allí: there (as in a place, "Búscalo allí'--look for it there.) Pronounced ah-EEE, with elision.

I was referring to the misspellings in many signs you see,like (ay menudo),for example.It seems to be one of the more frequently misspelled words along with words that contain the letters b&v.

I was referring to the misspellings in many signs you see,like (ay menudo),for example.It seems to be one of the more frequently misspelled words along with words that contain the letters b&v.

I know.

What you do with X's depends on what part of the country you're in and what the language is of the word you are pronouncing. For example, neither OXXO or PEMEX are even words: OXXO is a brand name and PEMEX is an acronym. Nonetheless, they are pronounced the same all over the country (as far as I know), using standard Spanish pronounciation. On the other hand, Xochimilco is a Nahuatl word meaning 'place where flowers are sown'; in Nahuatl, an 'X' at the beginning of a word is pronounced like 'S'. México is also a Nahuatl place name--obviously, it is the name of this country. The 'X', because it comes in the middle of the word, is pronounced like an aspirated 'H'. Ixcaret, on the other hand, is a Maya word, the meaning of which is either 'small inlet' or completely forgotten in the mists of time. The Maya pronounce the 'X' as 'sh'--a sound which doesn't exist in Spanish, but which does exist in Maya.

So you are right: it can be confusing, since depending on where you are, the sound of the letter changes.

The Spaniards used the letter X for shounds they did not have. In French Basque we call the house etchea in Spanish it is etxea, they do not have the soft sh so they used the X, same in Maya the town Temax is pronounced temash . I think t is one of the mystery letter, unless you know where the word comes from , X can be pronounced different ways.

The 'h' is always silent in Spanish...

There is also a silent U after a G before E or I to make the G hard, such as in guitarra. If you want the U to be pronounced in the GUE or GUI combination you put a dieresis over the U--that's the two little dots, call an umlaut in German, I believe. Like the word guero. There should be the two little dots over the U but unfortunately I don't know how to do that on the keyboard I am on right now as there are no number keys to the right to do ALT commands.

The umlaut (or dieresis) is used above the u when the u is sounded in the combinations of güi or güe. Without the umlaut, known as la diéresis or la crema in Spanish, the u would be silent, serving only to indicate that the g is pronounced as a hard g rather than similar to the j. (For example, guey with no umlaut would sound something like "gay.") Among the words with umlauts are vergüenza, shame; cigüeña, stork or crank; pingüino, penguin; and agüero, prediction.

Archived