Chapala.com Webboard

Expired Visas

Ajijic

Please check your visa's expiry date. If it expires by one day the fine is over 1000p (in SMA) and rises based on length of expiration. It also means starting at year 1, proving income, a meeting with INM staff at their convenience and of course the regular visa fees. This means to qualify as a Permanent resident based on time, you have to wait 4 more years.

Note: the sequence of your expiration date is day/month/year. If in doubt please check your visa. Americans are use to month then day.

If your visa has expired by more than 55 days you must leave the country and apply for preapproval at a consulate.

When your visa is expired, your foreign plated car is illegal.

Locally they are fining people 2500 pesos if late, double from what they did before, it is kind of a joke as the fine is supposed to be related to the severity of the situation and clearly renewing a few days late cannot justify such a high fine but fighting it is more time and money.

Just curious, what is the normal period for renewing what used to be the FM3 I guess. When would you start the renewal process, so many months before expiration?

You can only start a maximum of 30 days before expiration.

You can only start a maximum of 30 days before expiration.

and from 4 years temporary to permanente ?

My visa expired early in August. I turned in my papers for Permanente to Chapala on July 11th. and they were accepted.

So my visa has expired thanks to immigration. I am still waiting for the call for finger printing.

I went into the Chapala office the first week of July and was told my papers would be ready Sept. 13th (Friday and a holiday weekend), but I was told I should check.

Well, I am checking every day and nothing has changed with the NUT document.

Sigh..................

Floradude,

Please do not worry. You applied at the right time and are now En Tramite, In Process, and the expiry date of your previous visa is no longer of any concern. Just keep monitoring your progress online with the numbers provided on the Tramite letter that you carry, instead of a visa. You can travel inside of Mexico with that letter, but cannot leave the country. To do that, you would need a letter of permission from INM, good for only 60 days out of country.

When the online status states that your document has been made, it will probably be ready for pick-up in a matter of days.

Archived