Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to Puebla

stoneleigh

I've driven one route several times taking Hwy 15 to Morelia, then continue to Toluca where there is a new cuota going up the mountain to DF. Bear right on Constityues and then another angle to Observatario. You'll be able to get on the periferico Camacho taking note to get into the left lane almost immediately so that you can catch the exit to Miguel Aleman which is the periferico that heads toward the airport. The name changes to Viaducto Rio Piedad which passes the airport until you hit Zaragoza which is the main highway to Puebla. This route normally takes about 9 hours to get to Puebla.

Some years ago they opened the Arco Norte bypass swinging above Mexico City off Hwy 15 at Atlacomulco de Febela. This route seems to bypass central DF completely putting you on the same Puebla highway as the route using Aleman.

You can Google Arco Norte and then look at it as well as Google Maps to make a decision.

One time I had a Garmin to "help" me get through DF. Instead of looking at signs I watched the Garmin send me the wrong way. Fortunately I saw Aleman and was able to exit, make a U turn and get back on track.

There are day issues driving through DF based on your license plates, time of day and day of week. You need to check the rules to make sure you pick a good day.

There is a site that lists tolls which will at best be an approximation. It has been posted here many times. Rutas Punto a Punto.

I've driven one route several times taking Hwy 15 to Morelia, then continue to Toluca where there is a new cuota going up the mountain to DF. Bear right on Constityues and then another angle to Observatario. You'll be able to get on the periferico Camacho taking note to get into the left lane almost immediately so that you can catch the exit to Miguel Aleman which is the periferico that heads toward the airport. The name changes to Viaducto Rio Piedad which passes the airport until you hit Zaragoza which is the main highway to Puebla. This route normally takes about 9 hours to get to Puebla.

Some years ago they opened the Arco Norte bypass swinging above Mexico City off Hwy 15 at Atlacomulco de Febela. This route seems to bypass central DF completely putting you on the same Puebla highway as the route using Aleman.

You can Google Arco Norte and then look at it as well as Google Maps to make a decision.

One time I had a Garmin to "help" me get through DF. Instead of looking at signs I watched the Garmin send me the wrong way. Fortunately I saw Aleman and was able to exit, make a U turn and get back on track.

There are day issues driving through DF based on your license plates, time of day and day of week. You need to check the rules to make sure you pick a good day.

There is a site that lists tolls which will at best be an approximation. It has been posted here many times. Rutas Punto a Punto.

Hoo boy, there are so many errors in this post re road names that I don't know where to start. Following these directions will get you lost for sure.

Take the Arco Norte, it is fast and simple and will get you where you want to go without all the hassle of trying to follow so many twists and turns in this enormous and traffic-bound city.

The best piece of advice in the above post is regarding 'Hoy No Circula', the program of anti-pollution rules which applies to both Mexican and foreign license plates. Here's a link to the information: http://www.sma.df.gob.mx/verificentros/index.php?op=inicio&opsubmenu=hoynocircula

If your car has foreign license plates, pay close attention: you are not permitted to drive it in the Distrito Federal OR in parts of the State of Mexico from Monday through Saturday from 5AM to 11AM. This is clearly stated in the page I just linked to. You WILL be stopped if you try to drive the Arco Norte. You WILL be fined. Friends who did not know this recently left Mexico City at 5AM on a Tuesday morning and were stopped on a highway heading out of town, the officer tried to impound their car or make them pay 2500 pesos as their fine, and they finally convinced him to accept 1000 pesos and let them drive on their way. You do not need this sort of delay or expense as you travel to Puebla.

Have a great trip.

We drive to Puebla about twice or three times a year, do not bother with crossing Mexico city unless you want to go there. Take the Arco Norte a little north of Atlacomulco direction Tula Queretaro after your pass Tula take direction Puebla, it is a 6 or 7 hour drive. .

I do not keep tract of the toll but the prices are in the Guia Roji.

You do not have to worry about the Hoy no circula when taking the Arco Norte so it is a great plus.

We have never been stop on the Arco norte and do not know anyone who has. It does not go through DF so I do not see why the DF rules would be enforced unless some cop was hungry. We drive it a minimum of two times a year sometimes 4 and have Mxican plates if that makes any difference..

The post says they were stopped on a highway heading out of town that is not the Arco Norte. I have friends who go back and forth to Oaxaca on a monthly basis they have never been stopped, friend who go back and forth to Puebla and so far so good...

By the way the Arco Nore has a site and their site say NO APLICA HOY NO CIRCULA so that is the answer there is no hoy circula rule on the Arco Norte.

You can also call them if you have question. I think they say the toll from Atlacomulco to The Puebla exit is 360 something and another 3 or 400 hundred pesos to get there the tolls are around 600 and 700 pesos for a car.

Arco Norte isthe way to go wether you come from Queretaro or Guadalajara.

My friends were heading for Querétaro, on the Arco Norte. The information they gave me, that they were stopped ON the Arco Norte was incorrect. They were actually stopped before they got on that highway.

I apologize for confusing the issue. Bmh is correct, Hoy No Circula does not apply to the Arco Norte.

Archived