Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican economy in recession

Rony

So you don't find it odd that a colonia on the outskirts of a major city would have cybers on every street but no refrigerated milk in the stores?

Why don't you pay Toltepeceno a visit to check it all out ? Have a glass of milk together. I believe it. Makes sense, knowing CFE., I would not sell it in my store.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly I question your state of mind. What world do you live in where there is something to spoil in a ciber? Do you not get that? The stores make money on other things, the cibers make money on on internet (when there is electricity and phone service). There is no money to be made on spoiled milk.

YOU live in a priviliged area and think you know it all, but you really have no clue about the country you live in.

Why would I come here and lie to a bunch of people? It's sad that people like this are not even acknowledged.

Hopefully one day you will get a slap of reality, but I doubt it.

People were saying the same thing about me when I said trouble was coming just before it hit, laughing at it.

Any credibility you may have had went out the window when you lied earlier in the thread about what I said before.

Ah, toltepequeno. Misspelling my name childishly. We can both play that way cbviejito

So you don't find it odd that a clown like me thinks I know everything there is about people I hate? I've spent a lot of time beating my mex wife,my jibberish is fluent and I frankly don't see how anyone could find me credible

Why don't you pay Toltepeceno a visit to check it all out ? Have a glass of milk together. I believe it. Makes sense, knowing CFE., I would not sell it in my store.

I wouldn't pee on this guy if he was on fire. He's free to go through these pueblos here though, but he would never do that. It's easy to be a keyboard know it all tourist.

In toluca the electricity is more stable, the pueblos are different. Toulca is the capital and only has a population of half a million out of over 16 million. Places like valle de bravo have good service, but the rich from DF play there.

Exactly right, food at room temperature and many wait for soda to get to room temperature. Margarine and butter here does not melt like that up north.

You know, it hasn't been so very long that SuperLake and El Torito turned their refrigeration units off at night to save on electricity. Ask anyone who's been around at Lakeside for 15 or 20 years.

And think about why standard birthday party fare is cake and gelatina: some brands of gelatina will set up without being refrigerated, and many people still have no refrigerators at home.

And think about why it is customary to eat so many delicious Mexican foods at room temperature--things you might thing would be better chilled.

So many people from North of the Border think it's easy to 'get' Mexico--and ultimately have no clue of what's going on. There is much, much more to every aspect of life in Mexico than meets the eye. Vestiges of ancient customs persist in ways that you cannot understand after a short stint in Mexico, without speaking fluent Spanish, and without conversing with Mexicans of your own social classes and education. And even then...unless you let go of your first-world expectations and generalizations, you ain't gonna get it.

If it was me, I'd leave it alone. All you are doing is making his point about you. :)

Yup. Very easy to see through. Next will be another comment about 100 million mexican thieves or similar. Racism won't be far behind.

The best thing is for me to put him on the ignore list, I suggest since he refuses to believe in reality to do the same to me. That way we will both be happy.

Cibers on every street full of kids,but no stores selling cold milk,what a strange place...

Strange place, strange people. You can leave now, I'm sure your wife's quality of life would go up.

Time for ME to leave again, I leave you to the clueless like cbviejito. No point in posting this stuff with people like him and professor coons here.

YOU live in a priviliged area and think you know it all, but you really have no clue about the country you live in.

I've lived in a working class neighborhood in Guadalajara for the last 9 years.

Your calling me a racist would bother me if I thought you were playing with a full deck,but I don't,so it doesn't.

Your trying to fabricate a quote by me in which I supposedly say that I beat my wife is over the top and further proof of your mental instability.I guess that one slipped by the mods..

Adios

The OP was about Mexico and whether or not it was in recession which it clearly is not.

Definitely Mexico has poverty unlike any most of us have seen if we have not left North America. Lots of expats volunteer with those in need; we explore back roads, have Mexican friends and been to their homes. We know very well of the dirt floors, no running water, no sewage, hunger etc. It breaks our heart. So for those explaining this to others, walk gently but do not chastise if for those who are not aware are uninformed. This is a very different subject that "Is Mexico in a recession" as clearly for the first 6 months of 2013 it has the best performing GDP in North America and Canadians would have loved to see something similar. Over the past 5 years Mexico's GDP exceeded almost every other country in the world except for a handful .

If you see someone with no healthcare take them to Seguro Popular to sign up. if you know of someone with dirt floors enquire about programs to change this and many places have help with this. If you know of an employer not paying social security talk with the employer or employee and inform them of the employee's rights as IMSS, old age pension and affordable housing through INFONAVIT will change the life of poor Mexicans. Get involved and make a difference. Ranting will solve nothing.

You know, it hasn't been so very long that SuperLake and El Torito turned their refrigeration units off at night to save on electricity. Ask anyone who's been around at Lakeside for 15 or 20 years.

And think about why standard birthday party fare is cake and gelatina: some brands of gelatina will set up without being refrigerated, and many people still have no refrigerators at home.

And think about why it is customary to eat so many delicious Mexican foods at room temperature--things you might thing would be better chilled.

So many people from North of the Border think it's easy to 'get' Mexico--and ultimately have no clue of what's going on. There is much, much more to every aspect of life in Mexico than meets the eye. Vestiges of ancient customs persist in ways that you cannot understand after a short stint in Mexico, without speaking fluent Spanish, and without conversing with Mexicans of your own social classes and education. And even then...unless you let go of your first-world expectations and generalizations, you ain't gonna get it.

An article of note in today's El Universal:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/finanzas-cartera/2013/impreso/tener-vision-de-largo-plazo-105111.html

This article was accompanied by a chart--which I am unable to copy here--indicating that according to the WEO (World Economic Outlook), Mexico's economy has fallen from a 3.5% projected increase in GNP in October 2012 to a 1.8% predicted increase in July 2013. Every other economy on the world stage has also fallen, but most not quite so severely as Mexico's--its projected economic outlook has fallen by nearly 50% in the last 9 months.

Please read this article, which I posted up-thread. It DOES talk about Mexico's recession. You can believe it or not, it's your choice.

Why don't you pay Toltepeceno a visit to check it all out ? Have a glass of milk together.

Why would I want to have a glass of milk with some nut who fabricates fake quotes of mine in which I supposedly say that I beat my wife,you'll find it in post#15 on the third page of this thread,the guy is loony.

You and Hook em Horns might want to think twice about backing that horse.

The OP was about Mexico and whether or not it was in recession which it clearly is not.

Definitely Mexico has poverty unlike any most of us have seen if we have not left North America. Lots of expats volunteer with those in need; we explore back roads, have Mexican friends and been to their homes. We know very well of the dirt floors, no running water, no sewage, hunger etc. It breaks our heart. So for those explaining this to others, walk gently but do not chastise if for those who are not aware are uninformed. This is a very different subject that "Is Mexico in a recession" as clearly for the first 6 months of 2013 it has the best performing GDP in North America and Canadians would have loved to see something similar. Over the past 5 years Mexico's GDP exceeded almost every other country in the world except for a handful .

If you see someone with no healthcare take them to Seguro Popular to sign up. if you know of someone with dirt floors enquire about programs to change this and many places have help with this. If you know of an employer not paying social security talk with the employer or employee and inform them of the employee's rights as IMSS, old age pension and affordable housing through INFONAVIT will change the life of poor Mexicans. Get involved and make a difference. Ranting will solve nothing.

Go and tell your hooray story to the 80 000 completely malnourished children, just in the state of Jalisco, knowing that for the last years the poverty level has risen.

Do not cling on to one certain press , but open your horizon (Financial Times, a couple of days, had a similar article as the one that More Liana showed here) . Open your mind also about the figures..... if they would be correct,.... where is the extra GDP going to ? That is why, you should concentrate more on the underlying message, instead of the figures and definitions.

How come that, by now, I do not see your wonderful, miraculous GDP figures reflected among the poor people (quite the opposite !! ) ?? And this after the 5 years that you mention ???

By stubbornly sticking to the point of view of the rich establishment (investors, people with great personal financial interests and hiding the truth while keeping people dumb) you are helping to make a difference yourself (using your last words), but in a very negative way. You can not rebuild a country on completely lose foundations and you have not got a clue as to the damage that you are causing.

You are a smart person but you also have to realize that living in this country it is less about facts and figures but all about reading between the lines... a big cultural difference and the number one lesson about Mexico. Reading the webboards and talking to people, I notice that 95 % of expats are not capable of doing that or simply do not realize.

I know that I am not going to change your mind but hopefully someone else will see the light.

We are all learning and it is an intriguing journey to live in Mexico, but more importantly, you need the flexibilty, intelligence and willingness to do so.

Rony

Just plain curious here: How has this thread, nasty as it gets between two posters getting very personal, lasted so long on this forum? Mods on vacation?

For those who want an up front and personal look at poverty in the villages, the Feed the Hungry delivery volunteers get an enlightening experience. It certainly provided clarity for my husband and me. Not too many miles from a "Puebla Magica" and up a nearly unpassalbe road lay one village where all the young men were gone and no one was left except women, children and the very old. Some of them looked emaciated.

When we speak of poverty in the states NOB, it's not in the same league with Mexican poverty. It's strictly relative, but it's poverty in comparison to those higher on the economic ladder in that country.

Just plain curious here: How has this thread, nasty as it gets between two posters getting really personal, lasted so long on this forum? Mods on vacation?

Good question Gringal,my being falsly accused of being a racist and a wife beater by some lunatic would appear to be a violation of forum rules.

Granted, there is some interesting material being discussed in between the low blows, and I'd like to hear it.

I'd suggest to the posters involved that they discuss the actual issues of general interest like civilized adults and "take it outside" re their personal issues.

As far as "self editing" is concerned, once a person starts reading what turns out to be a personal rant, it's difficult to edit the flyspit out of the pepper.

A large segment of Mexican society lives totally outside the parameters of the economy as measured by GDP. Their lives don't change much, regardless of overall economic growth or retraction. In recent history, the biggest impact on their lives has been the transfer of communal farmlands to private ownership. This has forced a large number of people off the land and out of their traditional subsistance farming way of life. We are seeing the consequences of this throughout Mexico, as urban populations enlarge and rural populations decline. For many of these people, it is, indeed, a struggle to make the transition to living in the modern world and, statisically, they create a drag on the economy. Mexico has a long history of enduring periods of hardship and adversity. It will survive this one.

Rony you add to the rudeness and make it personal and angry. I feel sorry for you. I have a huge extended Mexican family and know many of the facets as well as most anyone.

We are involved with Mexicans at every level daily and know very well their plight. My wife and her brothers and sisters went to bed hungry many nights and 5 children in a small bedroom living in a 400 sq ft apartment with parents.

One uses GDP to compare current and past years within a country and relative to other countries. Mexico has always had this huge poverty and much is because of lack of education.

Archived