Chapala.com Webboard

Oakwood theft suspect may be in Mexico

adafromhavana

There are some bad people here. I have asked two friends, one who was beaten and robbed, to post photos and descriptions of the perps on this website and mexconnect so others will not be victims. They are too afraid. All you can do is tell people, don't let people into your lives without thoroughly checking their backgrounds. Con artists are charming and expert liars. When you meet really broke people, who are young enough to still be working and making much more money in the US....you gotta wonder why they are here looking for jobs.

I would hope they would post on lakeside crime.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people that knew her in the racket club knew the house she was house sitting. Apparently she got wind that they were finding out about her criminal past. Since she is using her real name someone got suspicious and google her.

She asked someone in the racket club that wasn't aware of her predicament for a ride to Ajijic at 6am.Sunday Sept 8th. The person dropped her off near colon with her suitcase. Since then three people from the racket club have seen her in Ajijic.

My wife and I had dinner with Teresa last Tuesday at GO restaurant after I sat next to her at a fiesta at the Raquet Club the Saturday before. She wanted to house sit for us so we wanted to get to know her a little better first. Something wasn't right....her story was inconsistent and her retiring at 48 sounded somewhat strange...particularly since she said her boyfriend Chuck (later found out to be Charles Estes in Georgia) had send her here to look to a place to retire without him accompanying her. The next day I just googled her name and residence in the states and found out all of the information about her fugitive status, and advised other Raquet Club residents. I immediately called the Oakwook police department and spoke with the detective on the case. At present they are trying to locate her and have her extradited back to the states. She is very friendly and not shy about opening a conversation with strangers, but the detective told me that even if you pay for dinner with a credit card she will look at the card and memorize the numbers......including R&T numbers and account numbers on a check if given the opportunity. Once she is in your home all of your personal finances will be compromised. She also wanted in Mrytle Beach for the same offenses.

My wife and I had dinner with Teresa last Tuesday at GO restaurant after I sat next to her at a fiesta at the Raquet Club the Saturday before. She wanted to house sit for us so we wanted to get to know her a little better first. Something wasn't right....her story was inconsistent and her retiring at 48 sounded somewhat strange...particularly since she said her boyfriend Chuck (later found out to be Charles Estes in Georgia) had send her here to look to a place to retire without him accompanying her. The next day I just googled her name and residence in the states and found out all of the information about her fugitive status, and advised other Raquet Club residents. I immediately called the Oakwook police department and spoke with the detective on the case. At present they are trying to locate her and have her extradited back to the states. She is very friendly and not shy about opening a conversation with strangers, but the detective told me that even if you pay for dinner with a credit card she will look at the card and memorize the numbers......including R&T numbers and account numbers on a check if given the opportunity. Once she is in your home all of your personal finances will be compromised. She also wanted in Mrytle Beach for the same offenses.

Thank-you! for sharing the information with us. It will help us be aware of yet another criminal in Paradise. Hope they locate her and extradite her ASAP!

It is amazing the results you get from googling peoples names and especially lakeside!

I spoke to Juan Carlos Galvan Esparza, the new head of immigration at the airport and they are looking for Ms. Owens. If you have any information about her whereabouts, PM me and I will pass on the information to him. The Chapala police comandante also has her picture and is looking for her.

For years the local folklore has said that many people come here on a tourist visa and then just go off the grid. If you don't go through immigration again, rent, ride the bus etc. It would be pretty easy, unless like this lady the law is after you. I would not be surprised now that the amounts of money for immigration have gone up, the couples thing is gone, and owning your home doesn't get you anything, if more honest? people don't start going off the grid as well.

I have been in the US with a friend but reading the posts. When I saw her photo, my brain said, "Oh, hi!" and when I read about her being from Georgia, my brain said, "She didn't have an accent." After consulting my brain, whose files are not always as available as they used to be, I discovered that I had encountered her in the library at LCS, where she was asking passersby about housesitting jobs, and I subsequently spent about 10 minutes with her, suggesting that she post her credentials online. I remember being disappointed that she did not post, but of course she did not have any credentials to post! She was friendly but struck me as a hardened, possibly battered, woman down on her luck. I guess my attitude is that it costs nothing to be friendly, but one has to be wary and NOT automatically believe what people tell you. There are many people here who are not all that they say they are--most are just suffering from a desire to be more than they are ("border promotions") but some are real frauds. I have been here 8 years and I have picked my friends carefully--and people allowed access to my house are thoroughly vetted before they ever touch a key--AND I keep the good stuff in the safe, so if someone comes in to repair something, they do not have access to my cash or my jewelry or my important documents. I know most of you do the same, but I am posting this for newbies and anyone who is living in lala land.

As many have pointed out, when you see a foreigner here who is of working age, I always question why someone of this age is in such a low-wage place. There are legitimate reasons for many. But, even those raise my suspicions until they have proven themselves.

The same holds true for Mexicans with fluent English with NOB colloquialisms. Maybe deported for immigration reasons, but maybe for some other less innocuous reasons. I have seen many Gringos get taken merely because they were delighted to have a bilungual helper -- without taking the time to get to know the helper better before trusting the helper with access to their house.

Trust -- but only after verifying.

P.S. There are always exceptions to the rule. These are just generalizations, as there are also people like me for whom there is no explanation! :)

Good advise AquaP, points taken. I am quite young by lakeside expat standards and also happen to have a degree in law and society. I would point out that economic position is a greater indicator for criminality than age. What leads to criminality is largely a structural contradiction of having the need for money but having none without a way to make money. Your point about this area being a low wage area highlights this issue and hints at the underlying economics of criminality. If an expat can afford to buy a home in the area they are more likely to have enough money for the other needs in life. If one already has enough money for a nice life the need for criminality is reduced. Moving here was a downsizing adventure that has allowed an early retirement for my wife and me. We are the exception to the age rule. Computers can also allow some people a good income wherever they may reside. Earning trust is valid tip for anyone. Your points are well stated, and hint at the true underlying economic conditions that lead to criminality. Age does play a role in the economic equation, ie the likelihood of accumulating enough money to live off of so soon, and a longer life expectancy. But it is the economics that define the model.

As many have pointed out, when you see a foreigner here who is of working age, I always question why someone of this age is in such a low-wage place. There are legitimate reasons for many. But, even those raise my suspicions until they have proven themselves.

Trust -- but only after verifying.

I am a woman a few years younger than the person this thread is about and have been following some of the comments on this thread with interest. I have traveled much of the world in the past 25 years and in most places I was just another expat/traveler but here I have felt the need to explain myself numerous times and a few people have probed into my private finances in ways that would have been considered quite rude back in the USA. I like it here for the same reasons most people do, the friendly locals, the great climate and numerous other reasons so often cited. I have no interest in working here, so the "low wages" are of little interest to me except for the fact that I am currently trying to hire someone so the low wages actually benefit me.

I hope that the mere fact that I am younger than most does not automatically make me "of questionable intent" to the most of the people I meet here!

There's reason to believe this woman is sneaking into open homes. An elderly friend, living in San Antonio Tlayacapan, told us this morning that she found a woman intruder in her bathroom yesterday reading her New York Times. Our friend was so shocked that she went back to bed for 2 hours, by then the woman was gone. Reading an English paper I thought to ask her if the woman had red hair? She said, "yes!" I asked her if she was about my age or older, I'm in my 40's, she said, "yes." There's no reason to believe she would return to our friend's home but obviously the goal is to catch this woman and beware, lock up your homes. This concerns me for others as jrandkimbly wrote, "the detective told me that even if you pay for dinner with a credit card she will look at the card and memorize the numbers......including R&T numbers and account numbers on a check if given the opportunity. Once she is in your home all of your personal finances will be compromised. She also wanted in Mrytle Beach for the same offenses."

Thats freaky... She wants in your home / purse any way she can get there. A few neighbors told me that she knocked on their doors looking to start conversations, become friends, and to gain entry back when she was in the RC. The police, immigration, and the residents in the area are aware of this lady. If she stays here it is only a matter of time before she is caught and extradited...

I am a woman a few years younger than the person this thread is about and have been following some of the comments on this thread with interest. I have traveled much of the world in the past 25 years and in most places I was just another expat/traveler but here I have felt the need to explain myself numerous times and a few people have probed into my private finances in ways that would have been considered quite rude back in the USA. I like it here for the same reasons most people do, the friendly locals, the great climate and numerous other reasons so often cited. I have no interest in working here, so the "low wages" are of little interest to me except for the fact that I am currently trying to hire someone so the low wages actually benefit me.

I hope that the mere fact that I am younger than most does not automatically make me "of questionable intent" to the most of the people I meet here!

I oozed into retirement, in my early 50s. I know that feeling of having people say: "You are too young to be retired!". What does that mean, exactly? You can retire when you have the means to support yourself without working. I guess that the term would indicate that you have worked at some time in your life.

I know a number of people who retired in their late 40s/early 50s. These are not the people who I wonder about...... its the ones who are really pounding the cobble stones looking for work. If you need money, have little or no savings, and you are of an age where you can still work.... it makes sense to stay NOB and work on earning, and saving for retirement.

There has to be some very compelling reason to go to a foreign country when you have few prospects and little, if any, cash. Trying to get a job here, especially if you have few skills in demand, is going to be tough.

We are all different in the ways we automatically respond to an intruder. I have an alarm by my bed that makes a shockingly loud noise, I have the police on automatic dial, and my only concern is that I tend to be confrontational, so I have to caution myself to not over-respond. It is possible that going back to bed, allowing the woman to escape, was better than confronting her, if the homeowner was not capable of defending herself.

JaybearII

I agree. We should all have plans. I too have what I believe to be very good plans. But I would worry very much about the person whose only plan is to go back to bed for two hours. Therefore I hope I misunderstood or misread what was posted about this poor older and defenseless lady. (no I haven't reread what was posted)

There's reason to believe this woman is sneaking into open homes. An elderly friend, living in San Antonio Tlayacapan, told us this morning that she found a woman intruder in her bathroom yesterday reading her New York Times. Our friend was so shocked that she went back to bed for 2 hours, by then the woman was gone. Reading an English paper I thought to ask her if the woman had red hair? She said, "yes!" I asked her if she was about my age or older, I'm in my 40's, she said, "yes." There's no reason to believe she would return to our friend's home but obviously the goal is to catch this woman and beware, lock up your homes. This concerns me for others as jrandkimbly wrote, "the detective told me that even if you pay for dinner with a credit card she will look at the card and memorize the numbers......including R&T numbers and account numbers on a check if given the opportunity. Once she is in your home all of your personal finances will be compromised. She also wanted in Mrytle Beach for the same offenses."

If there was an intruder, hopefully someone will assist this elderly person in creating a fraud alert for all her credit/debit cards, checking accounts and any other accounts with monetary funds.

I would guess that something is also missing - jewelry or something that can easily be sold - and that should be sufficient for her to file a denuncia with the ministerio.

Again, hopefully someone can help her do that - At least that would get the ministerio engaged (hopefully) in trying to find Teresa. For information on what she would need to file a denucia - http://lakechapalacrime.com/mainmenu/minist.php

The most important thing would be the immediate cancellation of all credit and debit cards - if not already accomplished.

Over the last 3 years I had a whole bunch of them knocking on my door, looking for a job through my free employment project ( http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/ ).

- One American lady (53), without papers, sleeping on the Chapala malecon (until a nice Mexican family, with 4 children, gave her a home)

- another American lady in her thirties, with a baby, and on drugs, going from one place to another for hand outs (and lots of stories). We bought her groceries and all (baby diapers,...etc), until we found out that she was another con artist (also looking for work). She had me fooled in the beginning..... tears + baby and abandoned by her husband ( so she claimed )

- some people might still remember the American Indian, who ended up at the Red Cross, after having been beaten up (child molestor in the US). Since he did not have anybody here, Red cross people contacted me about him (looong story too).

- and several others

95 % of the expats who come to me, looking for work here, will not work for the local wages (mostly talking about caregivers/maids/restaurant staff) and after a while they give up. Only 1 or 2 will actually get a well paid job (upto US standards) here.

On the whole, 1 % of the job seekers in my databank are non Mexicans.

Rony * Faster and more employment is part of the solution *

http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/

Over the last 3 years I had a whole bunch of them knocking on my door, looking for a job through my free employment project ( http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/ ).

- One American lady (53), without papers, sleeping on the Chapala malecon (until a nice Mexican family, with 4 children, gave her a home)

- another American lady in her thirties, with a baby, and on drugs, going from one place to another for hand outs (and lots of stories). We bought her groceries and all (baby diapers,...etc), until we found out that she was another con artist (also looking for work). She had me fooled in the beginning..... tears + baby and abandoned by her husband ( so she claimed )

- some people might still remember the American Indian, who ended up at the Red Cross, after having been beaten up (child molestor in the US). Since he did not have anybody here, Red cross people contacted me about him (looong story too).

- and several others

95 % of the expats who come to me, looking for work here, will not work for the local wages (mostly talking about caregivers/maids/restaurant staff) and after a while they give up. Only 1 or 2 will actually get a well paid job (upto US standards) here.

On the whole, 1 % of the job seekers in my databank are non Mexicans.

Rony

I had no idea that there were that many. I worry about the lonely elderly. It is important to keep an eye out for your neighbors. Con artists look for elderly people who may appear a little confused and less confident. Its easy for someone to get extra money from them, or an offer of a place to stay. I hope they catch this fugitive. What a horrible thing to do, scare an elderly woman like that.

I heard that she was in lower Chula Vista in a casita last week. Immigration officials came to the house at 9 pm and she had already gone.

Someone alerted her to this web site ................. so if you have any sightings of her (police are looking for her and all have photos) please call the Policia. Remember too she might try to change her appearance.

Today I saw a woman while driving past lower Chula Vista that looked like Teresa Owens. Except she had bleach blonde hair. I was in my car. So it was difficult to check out her nostrils. She was walking a small dog. I saw her around 11am. Then on the way home around 1:30pm I saw her again around the same area.

I wonder if she bleached her hair. Does anyone know?

Archived