Chapala.com Webboard

My "handle" Kookielendmeyourcomb...

Funny, I was signing up AGAIN, after taking a hiatus, and the phrase just jumped into my head....there you have it, I adored Ed Byrnes...he was gorgeous when I was a teen. But I was talking to others, and I guess I never really thought about it.....half the people I know never ever heard of "77 Sunset Strip", Kookie, his hair, or his comb. Nothing else, just thought it was interesting. And it's a quiet Sunday, and I seem to be on a writing messages roll.

I have liked your name. Thanks for letting me know where it originated. I don't know who you are and stopped trying to figure out who was who on handles because at one point I realized it was better not to know.

Funny, I was signing up AGAIN, after taking a hiatus, and the phrase just jumped into my head....there you have it, I adored Ed Byrnes...he was gorgeous when I was a teen. But I was talking to others, and I guess I never really thought about it.....half the people I know never ever heard of "77 Sunset Strip", Kookie, his hair, or his comb. Nothing else, just thought it was interesting. And it's a quiet Sunday, and I seem to be on a writing messages roll.

I remember Kookie and his comb well. I loved him too. There was even a song that had the line "Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb." Here's the video of him with Connie Stevens on American Bandstand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT9QZBGyXjU

I have been downloading episodes of 77 Sunset Strip. I cannot find ep. 1, but ep. 2 clearly showed how different the show was when it first started. Ed Byrnes was barely in the show; he was originally the valet at the place. And the opening shots of the street traffic are amazing, as they show how seriously unbusy the area was compared to years later. And Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was actually acting, something he decided was not necessary when he took on a later role in The FBI TV series. What a hoot. This was the coolest show around.

Question: did 77 Sunset Strip spawn Route 66, or the other way around?

Kookie, it begs the question "Where are they now?"

Peggy Lipton was the blonde who made up the trio, can't remember the black guys name, are they all still acting, or have they gone on to the 'Happy Hunting Ground" ? Maybe Oprah knows!

peggy Lipton was in the Mod Squad not 77 Sunset Strip. She was married to Quncy Jones, music producer.

Peggy Lipton was the love interest in a huge political scandal in '09. Michael Cole still does the odd bit of acting and has all his hair. Clarence Williams III went on to star in various schlocko movies, but with age became a fairly respected actor in movies and TV. He's even in the new movie The Butler, but I last saw him the the TV series Memphis Beat.

Joyful.... this forum is a goldmine of information, no matter how obscure. Thanks for the correction re. "The Mod Squad"..it's all coming back now!

Still loved that Ed Byrnes..the coolest guy back in the day.

I loved Ed Byrnes so much....had such a crush as a kid....my dad actually took me to Warner Bros (we lived in L.A., stars at stoplights, supermarkets, wherever....common as people in the biz)...to meet him and have lunch in the commissary. I thought I'd gone to heaven. But the Mod Squad was pretty great. Thanks for that.

Archived