Chapala.com Webboard

Tamal withdrawal

bdlngton

I have been in tamal withdrawal every since the Hole in the Wall closed. I have tried some other tamales but they do not have the flavor the Hole in the Wall ones had. The ladies told me that they might sell out of the homes of one. I left them my phone number but have never heard from them. Does anybody know if they are selling out of a home or have reopened in another location? If so, where and when?

I haven't noticed whether the lady that sells them in front of Farmacia Guadalajara is still there in the evenings or not. If so, hers are as good as I have enjoyed locally.

I haven't noticed whether the lady that sells them in front of Farmacia Guadalajara is still there in the evenings or not. If so, hers are as good as I have enjoyed locally.

Does anybody who lives in Ajijic know if she is there and, if so, when? I don't live close enough to be driving by every evening to hope to catch her there.

There's a woman at the Tuesday market with spinach and chicken tamales - the spinach is in the masa. I think they're great, so silky and subtle; the ones at Farmacia Guadalajara are good too as I recall.

(The very best are the ones my sister-in-law's mother makes, but I guess that doesn't help you)!

• 2 weeks later...

We just tried the delicious tamales "Colibrí" after 7 pm. in Av. 16 de septiembre # 10, almost in front of Efrén Gonzalez workshop.... we recommend them....

We just tried the delicious tamales "Colibrí" after 7 pm. in Av. 16 de septiembre # 10, almost in front of Efrén Gonzalez workshop.... we recommend them....

I tried the ones in front of El Colibri shop (where they do embroidery and dress-making) and while they were good they did not have the same flavor as the ones from Hole in the Wall. I brought some home and put them in the freezer but I'm still looking for a tamal that makes me go WOW!.

Best tamales in town are in front of Farmacias Guadalajara in JOCO! There are two vendors, the one that is on the opposite side of the street! She grinds the meal herself!

That's rather far to drive from Riberas. Are they always there or only at certain times on certain days? My maid's mother brought me some from some vendor in Joco and I thought they were flavorless.

Try Mercedes and Josephina's tamales on Satudays at 7 PM in front of their house on 16th of September in the block west on LCS. They make them every Saturday and all the mexican neighbors there line up for them. Really are good.

Yes, that is the location mentioned previously, in front of Colibri. Mercedes and Josefina are sisters who own Colibri and make and sell tamales on Saturday nights. As I said before, their tamales are okay but I am still looking for some that are as yummy to my palate as the ones sold at Hole in the Wall before it closed. Maybe I'll purchase a few at the Monday Market tomorrow and try them again, although I've eaten them in the past and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe over time I'll be able to forget what the Hole in the Wall ones tasted like and grow to like others.

Archived