Chapala.com Webboard

Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Mexico

RVGRINGO

Regarding the folks who indicate that they have BC/BS covererage and that it has paid for proceedures in Mexico

Question does the company know that you "resided" in Mexico or do you give a NOB address and that you just happen to be visiting Mexico and have a medical problem.

Having the BC/BS coverage provided by your company is a good perk...

For myself, 5 years ago my company elected to cease offering the benefit and "helped" source for a different suplement insurance.

It was a can of worms and insurance companys asking for pre exisiting conditions etc and need to have NOB residence

So question is, are your fudgeing your place of residence for any suplementry insurance?

They did know I live in Mexico. Before I checked into the hospital I called BCBS and got permission for the procedure and they told me what they would pay and what I would pay. The bill was almost $69,000 and my share was $250.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the folks who indicate that they have BC/BS covererage and that it has paid for proceedures in Mexico

Question does the company know that you "resided" in Mexico or do you give a NOB address and that you just happen to be visiting Mexico and have a medical problem.

Having the BC/BS coverage provided by your company is a good perk...

For myself, 5 years ago my company elected to cease offering the benefit and "helped" source for a different suplement insurance.

It was a can of worms and insurance companys asking for pre exisiting conditions etc and need to have NOB residence

So question is, are your fudgeing your place of residence for any suplementry insurance?

The BC/BS Worldwide Blue Card does cover you when LIVING outside the US. But not all BC/BS policies include this benefit.

They did know I live in Mexico. Before I checked into the hospital I called BCBS and got permission for the procedure and they told me what they would pay and what I would pay. The bill was almost $69,000 and my share was $250.

Are those dollars or pesos? What hospital did you use? Did you use a Mexican preferred provider doctor? Does your policy have the Worldwide Blue Card coverage? I have not used my BC/BS Medicare supplemental policy here so I'm curious.

Are those dollars or pesos? What hospital did you use? Did you use a Mexican preferred provider doctor? Does your policy have the Worldwide Blue Card coverage? I have not used my BC/BS Medicare supplemental policy here so I'm curious.

You need to call your provider and get the particulars. I'm using dollars in my reply. I used San Javier Hospital which represents my provider. There are a lot of different BCBS policies depending on where you worked and what state you lived in. My advise is to look at your policy and get their telephone number and call them. When you find out what hospital they use go and preregister. Don't wait until you need them. My BCBS provider didn't actually service me. They have another company take care of international claims but they were very helpful.

Tom

Archived