Chapala.com Webboard

That new chicken place in S.A. beside Romeo y Julieta

ComputerGuy

It's not often that I don't give a place a second chance. When they opened last week, they were advertising their chickens at $75 pesos with the trimmings. This turned out to be a very short-lived promo. I was there today at 1pm: high time, maybe even a little early, right? Well, the prices have jumped, but okay... I can live with that.

What I can't live with? The scrawniest, driest little damn bird I ever saw. I should have known when they took it out of a cooler, all chopped and ready to go, instead of from the rotisserie (which has its back to us, so we cannot see what's cooking, if anything).

This is no way to introduce yourself to the community.

It looks like these folks will be short-timers in that location. Not only does Tony's have the most succulent rotisserie chickens around (their Chipotle barbeque sauce is excellent), but just East of there next to the Coca Cola plant is some of the best grilled chicken anywhere. Here's the description from my local food blog:

"Dusty Chicken"****: not its real name, as you might guess, (it's Pollos El amigo Don David) but this is the grilled chicken place on the Carretera immediately west of the Coca Cola plant before the traffic light. The best grilled chicken in the area, with excellent roast potatoes and onions and fresh tortillas. 97 pesos for a chicken with sides, 50 pesos for a half chicken that's perfect for two. They've been here since 1990!
Take-out only, gets going around 12:30 p.m., comida business only, open every day. The tamarind-based marninade, uniquely cilantro-y salsa verde and hardwood charcoal give this chicken and others like it you will see all around Mexico wonderful flavor.. Addictive and with the excellent service and consistently skilled cooking these folks really deserve your support.

Archived