Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic non functioning traffic lights

sm1mex

i seem to remember from a few months ago the chief of transit police told lcs members he would pay out of his own pocket to replace the bulbs !! some hope !!

That sounds like a very generous offer until you consider the fact that most of the money in his pocket comes from mordidas.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheap bulbs can burn for a very long time, but turning them on and off, as in a traffic light, is what kills them quickly. Bulbs that will tolerate frequent cycling are very expensive and probably not readily available when needed. So, maybe we would be better off petitioning for the removal of the traffic lights and the use of traffic cops at various intersections, as needed. That worked well in the past and could work again. But, would they work for tips? The municipality is broke, as usual. In Spanish, traffic lights are semifores; remember when they actually were? The cop just rotated the pole 90 degrees.

The last time I saw Hector, he looked haggard.

In Spanish, traffic lights are semáforos. Just saying.

Many of us remember when there were no more than two lights; one in Ajijic and one in Chapala. Life was good. Nobody griped.

That is still two more than in all of San Miguel a city of 75000. Bulbs never out, no one dead, zero maintenance costs, no complaints and I know of.

For some paradise = street lights. Reminds me of Joni Mitchell's song: .. they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

That is still two more than in all of San Miguel a city of 75000. Bulbs never out, no one dead, zero maintenance costs, no complaints and I know of.

For some paradise = street lights. Reminds me of Joni Mitchell's song: .. they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

You are ignoring a few facts, "Ajijic" from San Miguel. There is no way of comparing the two areas' layouts. How about admitting those lights on the periphery, where the real traffic actually happens? :huh:

h

You are ignoring a few facts, "Ajijic" from San Miguel. There is no way of comparing the two areas' layouts. How about admitting those lights on the periphery, where the real traffic actually happens? :huh:

Gringal formerly of SMA please tell me of one traffic light even on the periphery? Lets see ... mmm.. maybe if you count Dolores Hidalgo, Celaya, Queretaro, Comonfort as being on the periphery all at least many miles away as I can not think of a traffic light that is closer. And as to layouts... streets that cross each other at intersections seems comparable including the busiest streets such as Calle Ancha de San Antonio, Libramento Jose Manual Zavala, Boulevard de la Conspiracion, Real Salida a Queretaro all of which carry more traffic than the carretara through Ajijic or Chapala or between.

Just before most intersections are small topes.

Of course Gringal .... if more landlords paid SAT maybe we would have traffic lights but I doubt it. :018:

The point is their are are other ways to control traffic proven in other parts of Mexico. As RV noted at one time there were a total of two. And for those who say pity the mayor ...geesh ... this problem has gone on for years based on my memory) so nothing new.

Take most out; put in small topes before intersections and relax.

Aren't the streets in San MIguel all one way?

I had to exit by the donut shop Saturday where the street light is out, I waited a long time for a break and it just didn't happen, so I figured if I stuck my nose out in thje street someone would stop for me, nope, they went around me until finally someone stopped to let me out. This is terrible but what do we do. I try to avoid Ajijic.

Who cares about San Miguel? We don't live there, we live here. Having visited San Miguel, it was certainly my impression that public maintenance is better there and in Guanajuato state in general. The Chapala government has been incompetent and corrupt as long as we've lived here and I'm told long before and we shouldn't expect it to change any time soon. They aren't going to do anything for anyone outside of Chapala itself and for the money spent, the services there wouldn't win any prizes either.

Comparisons may be fun but they won't solve problems like this.

The Delagado is doing all he can about stuff like this but he neither has the money or the man power to fix traffic lights. Short of approaching this in the same way we're dealing with other unprovided municipal maintenance that we all, Mexicans and expats alike, pay taxes for, there are not a lot of options. We either come up with a way to keep these maintained ourselves, or they aren't going to be. It really is just that simple.

Traffic lights or no, you have to drive here like you are super defensive and paranoid at all times. That is how you survive. I am thankful I've been a motorcycle rider for decades, that definitely teaches one the fine art of motorized paranoia. :)

No big deal. Just approach the intersections cautiously and be prepared to yield. The only ome that is really necessary is the one by Walmart.

I remember when a couple from Canada were crossing on a green light walking. They were killed when struck by a car that could not see the red light because it was not working.

I remember that. But anyone who drives and only pays attention to the lights, not what's around him, isn't driving. He's aiming.

I remember that. But anyone who drives and only pays attention to the lights, not what's around him, isn't driving. He's aiming.

A few days ago, we approached the stoplight near Panino's from the side street. Full out red light going East/West. We had the green, and started to pull out when a Chapala bus, speeding, ran the light and scared us into the next century.

Basically, don't count on those lights to be of much help. CYOA. O for OWN.

There is no way for us to control the traffic light situation. This is government bureaucracy and political infighting as it has always been and always will be. None of us can force a solution here. The traffic lights will continue to work or not work in ways and for reasons we can not understand. We need to take all precautions for our own safety and the safety of others. We can not control government functioning here but we can control how we drive and walk.

I find it interesting that we complain about the few traffic lights yet ignore the many,many solar powered lights on the entrance to Chapala. Talk about overkill.. I seems the city made somebody rich. There are enough lights for a Hollywood musical. Besides the awful lights in the city itself. Whoever presumes to be the design consultant .......... is nuts.

There is no way for us to control the traffic light situation. This is government bureaucracy and political infighting as it has always been and always will be. None of us can force a solution here. The traffic lights will continue to work or not work in ways and for reasons we can not understand. We need to take all precautions for our own safety and the safety of others. We can not control government functioning here but we can control how we drive and walk.

It sounds like the Land of Oz, or Willy Wonka, or Rainy with Meatballs, except without the fun bits.

Many of us remember when there were no more than two lights; one in Ajijic and one in Chapala. Life was good. Nobody griped.

You don't suppose there's a bit more traffic now that then? Of course, I could be wrong. In those days was it bumper to bumper mid-day during the week and all weekend, like it is now? Ya think?

Archived