Chapala.com Webboard

Costco Returns?

DT22

So, I doesn't work? or it does??? I am now confused with the conflicting posts....

I own a business in the USA which gives discounts on lots of things and I was purchasing quite a bit at costco, plus it gives me 2% cash back, but that costs $110/year which I won't keep if it won't work in Mexico since I won't be using it if I only works in the USA.

:(

If it won't work here I will cancel that and just get the Mexico Card since it works in both locations.

How much is the basic/executive membership in Mexico?

@@@@@@@@@@@

Edited after reading above post

Yes your US card works fine for entry BUT NO, you do not get the extra 2% credit when shopping in Mexico. How do I know, because I ask for it every time I'm at a Mexican Costco and I'm told NO.

Oh, I'm renewing my Costco Exec membership card today in store 1 in Seattle. Yes I have a gift certificate worth $80.96 US sitting on my desk. But that only represents a 2% discount or return on the items purchased in the US and Canada. But not for those purchased in Mexico

And on the back of said certificate it says the US and Canada

So no you don't get the discount with a US card in Mexico, but you can enter and shop at Costco Mexico with the US card

And yes Mexican Costco membership cards cost less in Mexico than in the US

I just returned from 2 months in Florida. For what it's worth I could not use my Mexican Costco card at Costco in Ft Lauderdale Florida. Maybe different states have different rules.

You have to insist they allow you to use it, tell them you know it's valid, or ask for a supervisor to help out. They have to enter a "7" first (I believe) for your card to work and some clerks aren't familiar with that if they don't see many foreign cards. I've had no problems using mine in Phoenix as they see a lot of Mexican cards there...I learned about the special digit watching the supervisor instruct my cashier one time. The super even told me he'd had cards from Thailand and other remote countries pass through and all are accepted. In counterdistinction to Alfa's experience I've had no problems paying with a US based bank debit card or Amex credit card in the store or at the gas pumps in the US. They have never accepted any other type of credit card than Amex in the US....unless they've changed their policy recently.

By the way, you cannot maintain your US based Costco Amex card with 2% rebate if you switch your membership to Mexico where the annual cost is about 1/3 cheaper. They will cancel the card as soon as the membership expires. So if you buy a lot of goods in the US still while living most of the time in Mexico to make the 2% worthwhile, keep your more expensive US membership and use that card down here. Otherwise get a Mexican membership. I do not believe they offer any credit card rebate membership based here...at least they didn't when I inquired in 2010 when I switched over. I haven't checked into that since.

Yes sometimes the teller doesn't know that a 7 has to be entered with a foreign card.

Oh by the way. I did find a way to get a 2% discount in Mexico I simply had to pay in cash. (I did not get a discount when I used my US American Express Card in Mex)

I used my Canadian based Costco card in Mexico with no problems. Now, I have a Mexican based Costco Card. In ALL cases I have paid with a Canadian based Visa credit card without problems...in other words, I've used my Canadian based Costco card in Mexico and have paid with a Canadian based Visa credit card AND I've used my Mexican based Costco card in Canada and paid with my Canadian based Visa credit card.

I HAVE A US BASED COSTCO. membership and 2% rebate credit card

I received a 2% rebate on the card $72 dollars was not able to cash rebate in US, since I was in Mexico,

called Costco credit card, credited my account $72, when credit was posted two days later then asked them to mail balance on my account to me by check.

and will deposit the check in my intercam account.

Regular $55USD

Executive $110USD but you get 2% cash back and several discounts.

Thanks for correcting me. I know the $110 is correct, because that was what I was billed less my $80.96 US discount this morning at the 'Seattle Costco store just 4.1 miles from our Seattle condo. Why the discount? Because of the 2% I earned on purchases during the last year at a US Costco.

Now doing my math, not using the present spot rate of 13.3365 to 1, as quoted on yahoo, but only 13 to 1, the US general Costco membership of $55 US equates to (13 * 55 or) $715 pesos which is a heck of a lot more than the $450 pesos charged in Mexico for a basic or standard membership

We use our U.S. Costco card here in Mexico with no problem but pay cash here. Whether you have an account here or not, apparently they charge you more for stuff if you charge it.

That is absolutely true. But, since I get into Costco maybe three times a year, I often make purchases that are not on my list. The credit card is a convenience and, although they charge me more, it's worth it to me. As soon as the charge shows up online on my card, I pay it off. Normally, I shop through Lakesideexpress and pay cash. I prefer not to use ATM's that are unknown to me and that are not directly attached to a bank.

Archived