Chapala.com Webboard

Exceptional Tacos Al Pastor!

LakeViews

Exceptional Tacos Al Pastor!

The best tacos Al Pastor that we have found lakeside are in San Juan Cosala.

The tacos are cooked fresh by Miguel and Maximiliano at their taco stand from 6PM - 11PM every day, sometimes earlier. We have tried many taco places and these are the best by a wide margin. Miguel and Max do a good business and are quite friendly.

Not only are they the best tacos Al Pastor that we have found, they are among the most affordable at only 7 pesos apiece. We eat 8 tacos, share a soda and the cost is only 66 pesos for the whole meal! Both of us happily fed for $5.50 USD. The tacos come with your choice of fixings - cilantro, salsa, lime, radish, grilled onions and nopales. I ask for poquito salsa. They have other taco choices that include chorizo and carne asada but the Al Pastor tacos are the best.

The tacos are served piping hot and the money is handled only with a gloved hand.

We have eaten there a couple dozen times and have never had any issues.

If you are looking for a great meal at an affordable price we would encourage you to adventure out to San Juan Cosala, only 3.2 miles (7km) from Ajijic. There are two tables to sit at or ask for your tacos to go.

The taco stand is located at #227 Carretera in San Juan Cosala.

(#227 is actually the blue building next door )

It is on the lakeside of the Carretera. This is the intersection where Porfirio Diaz meets up with the Carretera. Porfirio Diaz is the street that continues on to the San Juan Cosala town square 4 blocks away. The taco stand is located in front of a building that is painted red and white with several Coca-Cola logos - as one can see in the photos below. It is well worth the adventure!

2m4t02h.jpg

and they are!!!! :o

This gets my vote for the most useful, as well as by far the most mouth-watering, restaurant review in memory on this forum. Bravo!

There is also an al pastor place on Pepe Guizar in Chapala close to Soriana that is open only in the evenings (like 90%+ of taco places everywhere in Mexico) but I haven't made it there yet. Sadly nothing anywhere near Ajijic or San Antonio as far as I know. When they are good tacos al pastor are truly the supreme tacos, that's for sure.

Sr. Ericurmudgeon, tacos al pastor are 'shepherd style' pork tacos, closely related to lamb shawarma from the Middle East. Here in Mexico, tacos al pastor are made of thinly sliced marinated pork that is stacked on a vertical spit and grilled to each customer's order. Look upthread at LakeViews' photos and you'll see the spit, stacked with the pork in the shape of a trompo (top). Tacos al pastor are almost always grilled with a whole pineapple at the top, so that as the meat grills, the pineapple grills also. Its juices run into the meat as it cooks, and the pastorero (the guy who cooks the pork) deftly flicks slivers of pineapple into your tacos just before handing you your plate. Good tacos al pastor are really heaven on a plate, and LakeViews' photos look scrumptious.

Another wonderful place for tacos al pastor is Taquería Los Alteños, Av. Cubilete 806 in Chapalita (Guadalajara).

Look here, toward the middle of the article, for a photo I took of a pastorero in Mexico City: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2013/08/home-cooking-traditional-mexican-food-just-like-mam%C3%A1-used-to-make.html

No beans?

Not usually served on tacos al pastor. Generally you'll see a variety of sauces you can choose from, chunks of fresh limĂłn to squeeze over the tacos, minced onion, chopped cilantro, and a couple of other condiments to decide on.

Frijoles de la olla (freshly cooked whole beans in their pot likker*) are often available where tacos de bistec are prepared, and they add a wonderful touch to your tacos.

It's just wrong to have to write about this before breakfast. Now my stomach is growling and there's not a taco to be had. On the other hand, the tamales y atole guy will be on the corner in just a little while...that might do it.

*Pot likker: a southernism used to describe the liquid in the bean pot once the beans are cooked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived