Chapala.com Webboard

Exiting and re-entering with Permanente?

ibbocat

By air: fill out the small part of the FMM at the INM window, get it stamped, turn it in at the counter when you check in when leaving Mexico. Save the larger part and fill that out when returning with that flight's info, write "RESIDENTE PERMANENTE" in block letters across the top, put your card # in the space provided, and leave the local address box BLANK.

By land (driving or walking across the border and returning the same way): do nothing

Driving out but returning by air: do nothing when leaving, but fill out the larger part of the FMM you get on the plane when returning, tear off the smaller stub and discard it.

Flying out but returning by car: fill out the smaller stub at the airport, do nothing upon re-entering at the border.

There was a recent posting about needing to document each and every border crossing for avoiding capital gains on sale of a house or if applying for Mexican citizenship, yet the officials at the border would refuse to stamp the poster's passport when crossing by land. Further clarification on that statement would be appreciated from someone in the know.

I will soon publish forms with examples of how to fill them out to avoid issues.

• 2 weeks later...

snowbird time is fast approaching. I would greatly appreciate (as I am sure many other travelers would) if you could find time to post the promised FMM examples. Mil gracias in advance.

Snowbirds come in as tourists and leave as tourists. If they have a resident visa they do the same in reverse. Not very tricky

I have been spending 6 or 7 monthe here every year since 1987. Have owned a home since since 1998. Have had an FM3 since 1998and changed to Residente Permanent this year and there are many others like me. Not all snowbirds are the spend a few weeks or months here to get away from the worst of winter wherever they spend the rest of the year. Dont paint every part-timer with the same brush

Archived