Chapala.com Webboard

ScotiaBank Branch Recommendation?

Ezzie

What's the advantage of using an ''exchange house" to transfer funds? I simply have my US Bank wire the fund to my Mexican bank. Why the extra step?

Cost (at least in my case). The Canadian banks charge mucho dinero for a wire transfer to a Mexican bank account. On XE's website you can do your own EFT's at no cost. It is fairly simple to use once you have registered and set up the bank account information and can debit your account automatically. The funds usually take about 3-5 days to land into the recipient's account. You can set this up for any recipient that has a bank account almost anywhere in the world. I use it to pay my landlord, purchased a car, medical payments, etc.

Cost (at least in my case). The Canadian banks charge mucho dinero for a wire transfer to a Mexican bank account.

The online exchange house I use does charge a $22CAN wire fee to move the money to my Mex. bank acct. But what an exchange house does is buy and sell foreign currencies. They generally give good exchange rates and it gets wired in pesos so the bank here does not charge any conversion fees or have the opportunity to give a poor exchange rate.

I see nothing wrong with using an ATM forever. My Mother was here for 15 years almost and she used it when she needed it. She didn't carry big wads of cash around, just what she needed. She did all her banking via Scotia Online for everything else. Why is that ridiculous? And the ATMS used to run out of money, but then buying a phone used to cost $1,500 U.S.... Why stand in line at a bank when you don't have to?DEbit card you never have to stand in line

Again, If you are living in this country for years, own a house and have a Permanente or new FM3 Visa- why wouldn't you have a Mexican Bank Account- It's only common sense--- What are you afraid of???- last week peso hit 13.59-or higher You can make money by converting dollars to Pesos-just like major American Companies who invest dollars by the the millions to get the conversion rate.

If you have a Mexican Bank Debit Card you don't have to stand in line at the bank- you can use it at Bank ATM's, Costco, Farmacia Guad.plus many other stores and you always have a record of your transaction- At Bancomer - I have a Preferred customer card- they have a special line for Preferred and you always go first to a cashier no matter how many people are in line

WALMART- use your debit card to pay for your purchase and they will offer you cash back- with my card I can get up to 2,000.00 mxn along with my purchase- My Mexican Credit cards are accepted by Doctors, Dentists, Costco and any other store in Mexico and the USA-When I go to the US and rent cars - I have a Mexican Drivers License - so I use my Mexican Credit Card -Just like American or Canadian Cards, If you pay your balance every month - you don't pay high fees.

I learned when I lived at lakeside that paying in cash- makes no sense and people are often cheated and you have no redress Time to move into the 21st century- Superlake finally did...last time I was there, they took my debit card... no more cheating on change

Not having an account here makes me "afraid?" And "paying in cash makes no sense?" Wow, what planet are you from, my friend? I was so in debt back home on credit cards. Now here I use nothing but cash, and I am a very relaxed man.

Archived