Chapala.com Webboard

Any foreign-plated cars actually impounded yet in Lake area?

qt9998

If you or someone you know has actually had their vehicle impounded, it would be good to know the details.

I've searched the Forum but can't find anything other than advice to get the car out of Mexico or nationalized.

A friend of mine had her relatively new SUV impounded in GDL when they went to get their Jalisco plates. She, too, was a victim of the Tio Corp scam. I think it stayed in the Impound Lot about 3 months. She had to pay a daily rate for the "service" and was lucky to get it out. She had her Retorno Seguro immediately and drove it North of the Border ASAP.

Valerie :)

A friend of mine had her relatively new SUV impounded in GDL when they went to get their Jalisco plates. She, too, was a victim of the Tio Corp scam. I think it stayed in the Impound Lot about 3 months. She had to pay a daily rate for the "service" and was lucky to get it out. She had her Retorno Seguro immediately and drove it North of the Border ASAP.

Valerie :)

Let's be clear in that they went to Renta for plates and registration and documents were phony.

I suspect the OP is asking if someone was driving, stopped and vehicle confiscated and may I add for what reason.

Confiscated or impounded because you have Residente Permanente visa and your vehicle import documents "expired" with your FM2 or FM3.

If no one has had their vehicle impounded in Lake area, has anyone been threatened by police and responded with mordita??

• 4 weeks later...

So no vehicle impounded yet in Lake area?

Spoke to Parker Insurance and they have not heard of any.

Maybe the Residente Permanente visa is or will be considered like an old FM2 and Article 106 will still apply,

or maybe vehicles imported before the law went into effect this year will be grandfathered in,

and only vehicles imported since would be affected.

Spencer, have you considered this?

Archived