Chapala.com Webboard

Returning US plated car to states

bezerk

I thought I posted this already but apparently not..

I have a car which we shall be driving back to US, it has been here for a long time..

Am curious is there really a reason to stop at border and have sticker removed etc. etc..or

why not just drive out, since we of course wil no longer be bringing US plated cars in..

Not an issue with deposit or such...bben here so long that it was a whole $37.50 I think at time of entry...

Any thoughts?

Some Mexican consulates check the aduana temporary import car permit records when people apply for residency. Some people applying for permanent residency have been turned down, until they go back and surrender the old paper permit and windshield sticker. If you no longer have the car, or the paper permit, or the windshield sticker, then it can be very difficult to cancel the old permit. Since the Mexican government is now using the old temporary import permits in ways we never imagined, none of us can predict what other future problems they could come up with for people who left Mexico without turning in the permit. It's easy and free to surrender the car permit at the border.

hmmm..good point..

Such a dilemma, so many issues, so many changes, so tired of it all. Not sure what to do, easier to just drive out, have paperwork and could probably take off sticker unless it falls apart so old..LOL...

hmm..

Once again, I take a pen to paper and repeat:

Why stop at the border to take care of your TIP?

Because it is law of the country we expats have chosen to live in.

It is not a matter of $37.50, or whether or not in some future date not "unregistering" your vehicle can come back to bite you in the ###, it is a matter of being a good resident/citizen and obeying the laws here as you would want USA/Canadian law obeyed as a citizen of those countries.

Once we choose which laws to obey and/or disregard, we open the door to (in extremis) anarchy.

Take the 30 more minutes, do the right thing, you'll actually feel better.

okay so if car is titled in husband and wife's name and one cannot go to border and only one drove it in, can other person legally take it out..

Next up, the right thing...yes I somewhat agree right along wiht the gun that has been placed against many foreigners heads that brought cars into Mexico with expectation of runnin them into ground...and then without any granfathering etc..the law changes..so just a lot of thousands of dollars later I have a Mexican plated car, actually 2 as a few years back I disputed with many that the best was to just buy Mexican thank goodness I did...

And to top it off I now have to bring a car out and sell it when I had many years left in this car, never would have brought in if had known this was around the corner as is the same for many others I believe.

Legal and feeling better and laws of this country...not going there with a ten foot pole.

Sorry if I sound rude but I am less than pleased with all this after all the time I have been in his country and such, as have many of us to have things change like this without regard to long timers.

Anyone you authorize to drive your car can take it out and remove the sticker for you. Stopping at the booth at the end of the lane marked "foreign vehicles" or as they've spelled it outside of Nogales, "foreing vehicles," takes about one minute unless there's a line. it would seem inappropriate to drive through the lanes for Mexican vehicles with US plates. You give her the original TIP form, she gives you a razor blade to peel the sticker off, she gives you a receipt which takes the car off your record associated with the pasport you imported it under. $37.50 was your original charge for the TIP, not a deposit, so you don't get anything back from that. If you had imported in or after Oct. 2010, then you'd get your $200-400 back ONLY if you'd done all the notifications correctly each time your FM3 expired and you renewed it. Since most people didn't understand the necessity or even how to go about this, most people lost their deposits unless they'd imported after they'd learned just what to do and had someone like Spencer take care of it for them or made the trip to Aduana to do it themselves.

Anyone you authorize to drive your car can take it out and remove the sticker for you.

While this is certainly true, if the owners of the car have already attained Permanente status, they will need to get an official Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) form to take the car on the road to the border as the car is now illegal.This is true no matter who drives it, owner(s) or designated driver. The form is free but one should probably use Spencer's services to obtain it since one can only get the permission in Guadalajara at SAT.

There are at least a couple of people who might buy your car in Ajijic and get it out of the country for you legally.

I like FHBOY's attitude. We made a choice to come here and we have the choice to leave. There are no guns at our heads forcing us to stay and obey the laws. If we decide to break them and we get caught, we'll get about as far with the authorities in our complaints as we did when we were kids protesting that it wasn't "fair". Nothing is fair. Otherwise, the whole world would be well fed, safe from harm and sheltered from the storms.

Thank you Rick, not permanent yet, the owners I mean, and have a few months, already bought replacement Mexican plated car...

Everyone's circumstance is different, some folks have newer cars they bought with intent of running them into ground in their retirement, not like a super lot of notice was given on this law change.

I see how we are to follow rules when we live in a foreign country but no matter if foreigners follow them in my country. I have been here far too long to waste breath argueing every point. Not saying life is fair, but some things are just downright unjust..so be it.

For some it is real easy to just leave as you state for others it can be a trial and tribulation, own homes, health issues what have you, might be best to not judge before knowing all of an individuals story.

I am sure the Mexican car dealers are just loving...the profit this brings them and attitudes that feel changing rules whenever is just fine...esp. when it puts tons of pesos in their pockets.

How many folks have already left per choice this country due to the new rules and changes, own a home, have it appraised lately? What about all the folks that left and if all foreigners left, restaurants, stores, maids, gardeners, lot of jobs gone...sometimes fair and just do not go together. Personally I think these changes have made an unfortunate impact to Mexico which will be felt in near future if not already.

So be it, I have gotten info I needed so than you, I will be sure to remove my vehicle before applying for my permanent status. Or get the required safe passage.

Oh one more ??..if only one of the 2 owners were getting permanent status and other is only a tourist, then safe passage permission must still be needed, is that correct???

Oh one more ??..if only one of the 2 owners were getting permanent status and other is only a tourist, then safe passage permission must still be needed, is that correct???

I'll take a shot....

The car was imported in only one name. If the person whose name is on the car permit (TIP) is the one NOT going Permanente, then the car can stay in Mexico legally and the spouse who goes Permanente can still drive the car legally. If this is not the case the car must leave (or not be driven) once the importer attains the Permanente status. The Safe Return documentation would be used in this case and either spouse (or another designated driver) can drive the car to the border and cancel the TIP.

Not related to the question, but..... to get the car off the computer records at the border the owner must provide the original TIP document, not a copy. Takes "5" minutes. If the original isn't available, and one only has a copy, be ready to spend about 4 hours at the border getting that straightened out.

Sigh, nope I brought the car over border and I am going permanent so the car has to go. Will try to remove the car before I go for permanent status, if not will get he safe return passage document and cancel the TIP...

WE have the original TIP and copies...so should be quick..

Thank you again..I think I have it fairly straight now..

so sad to see this car go, I just loved it, a 2005 Dodge Caravan with only 44,ooo miles on it, one owner and only long distance driving, maintained at dealer in Guad...thought I would run it into ground but guess not..

Think my son in states may buy it. so a mute issue, just gotta have time for them to drive it out, spouse and him or me and spouse..not sure health wise I can do such a long trip..

Anyway thanks all for your help...

Bezerk,

A 2005 Caravan is eligible to permanently import. If you are driving to the border (to deliver the vehicle to your child), and you still need a good vehicle to drive, then it is almost guaranteed to be cheaper to permanently import the Caravan you have, than to buy a vehicle here. There are good reliable fair customs brokers at Nogales and at Mexicali and Laredo. They can have all your paperwork ready for you to complete the nationalization in just a few hours, if you send them your papers in advance. You can also cancel the car's current temporary import permit during the same border visit. People using Oscar at Nogales have reported the lowest import costs. R

Thanks snowyco..I have already purchased a car, Mexican plated here. Frankly we are tired of all the hassles involved in shall I say being different so mexican plated now.

Sadly lots of money has been spent over the years with folks who are non-reputable etc..so who knows what to do or who to go to...

I suggested to hubby we nationalize car and sell it here, he says no just wants to be rid of all the headaches..does not want to find out months or years later something is not legal etc..I myself am ready for a breakdown with all this stuff...what happened to tranquility and peace here, maybe 15 years has taken its toll on me LOL..

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a question about taking my car out of MX. My FM 3 says one on the back, but I want to take my car back to the US for now. Also my FM 3 expires for this current year in the last week of Sept. 2013. Can I legaly take my car to the border, let my FM 3 expire and then (maybe one month later), return with the same car and just get a tourist visa for six months? I usually go back NOB every 4-6 months anyway. Thanks, Wayne

pdqpc,

Yes you can do as planned, but turn in your car's temporary import permit when you leave Mexico, and have Banjercito remove the sticker from the windshield. When you return to Mexico on a 6 month visitante permit, use that INM permit to get a new temporary import permit from Banjercito. Be sure to return only after your FM3 No Inmigrante expires. If you want to return before the FM3 expires, then surrender the FM3 to immigration before you apply for the visitante permit (or they can get you for having 2 immigration permits at the same time).

Thanks snowyco, that makes me feel a lot better. When I have the sticker removed, do I need to go inside to get my $400.00 deposit returned to my credit card. Also if I do need to do this, are they open 24 hours to do the paper work inside. I hope you can understand what I am saying! Thanks

Thanks snowyco, that makes me feel a lot better. When I have the sticker removed, do I need to go inside to get my $400.00 deposit returned to my credit card. Also if I do need to do this, are they open 24 hours to do the paper work inside. I hope you can understand what I am saying! Thanks

The act of turning in your TIP sticker in will get the deposit refunded.... assuming all else is OK with the status of your TIP.

While this is certainly true, if the owners of the car have started or already attained Permanente status, they will need to get an official Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) form to take the car on the road to the border as the car is now illegal.This is true no matter who drives it, owner(s) or designated driver. The form is free but one should probably use Spencer's services to obtain it since one can only get the permission in Guadalajara at SAT.

There are at least a couple of people who might buy your car in Ajijic and get it out of the country for you legally.

Rick S just bought our car and is leaving tomorrow morning to take it back NoB. Spencer made out a Power of Attorney for him to drive the car legally. He is a more than completely legitimate possibility for selling your car without having to drive north yourself. A very nice gentleman as well. Que te vayas bien, Rick! Adios Honda CR-V!

Archived