Chapala.com Webboard

NAFTA Car Nationalization

JRPJR

Before returning to the States a couple of months ago we had made arrangements with Karen at S&S Auto to have our NAFTA car "nationalized". The week before last our property manager gave Karen the money to start the process. We returned to Ajijic Friday night and called Karen today to see how things were progressing only to be told that she has done nothing as the procedures have been changed and she does not know what the new process will be nor does she know when she will find out. We have already begun the process of applying for permanent resident status so we find ourselves in a real bind concerning the car.

Has any one used anyone but S&S to help them nationalize their car or alternatively take the car to the border (US plated car) and sell it for them.

You can check Aduana's web site with only your VIN.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx

Then click "Por Vin" and enter VIN.

I am not sure how Karen was doing this but ours were slowed down. Maybe she is also going through Mexicali as an amparo does exist there allowing a virtual process. Aduana took major vacations in July. The Federal government replaced many staff at some Aduana offices in July and new forms and procedures implemented.

.... or alternatively take the car to the border (US plated car) and sell it for them.

There is at least one person Lakeside who is buying cars outright, then taking them to the border himself to try and resell. Shoot him an email and see if he has a solution for you. cornking1 AT Yahoo DOT com

Go down to the airport and see Marta at SECORP. Simple and easy.

I wrote it all up and posted it a couple of months ago.

it just amazes me that anyone would consider driving 1400 miles to the border and back, pay for the tolls, gas, food and lodging and waste at least 3 days when they could drive to the airport and get it done.

I would get a full written contract for any nationalization services as there are still scams out there and one person gave money to a person in Joco who then used someone mentioned here and they have no car nationalized and no money returned and each party points the finger at the other.

If you try to save a penny your going to loose a dollar. Be smart and go to the border and get it done right. Take a little time and go for a ride. It is not like we don’t have the time. It will take 2 days and it will be over. You will save money and your mind. Relax and go for a ride.

If you try to save a penny your going to loose a dollar. Be smart and go to the border and get it done right. Take a little time and go for a ride. It is not like we don’t have the time. It will take 2 days and it will be over. You will save money and your mind. Relax and go for a ride.

You can get it "done right" with a broker at the airport. We have run enough cars thru there to know that it works and we have checked to make sure all is legal.

I ran all the costs and it cost me about $200US more to run it thru the airport than what it would cost to make a border run.

If I had wanted to go shopping, I'd have done a border run but I figured that not driving for 2 days was worth more to me than $200.

Since it is finally finished, one of my friends got a 40 year old Morgan nationalized. Took 3 months, a ton of paperwork and was not cheap, but SECORP managed to get it done.

I am hearing from what I believe to be a pretty reliable source that more changes are in the works and that after October it is possible that I will be able to import/nationalize my 2009 vehicle. Has anyone else heard these rumblings?

According to the NAFTA agreement, 2009 cars will be able to be nationalized late in the fall. Not sure if the date is Oct or Nov.

The agreement states that each year, cars 2 years younger will be able to be nationalized. Right now, 2007 is the youngest.

The roll over date, I think is Nov 1.

Marta at SECORP can probably tell you. I think her e-mail is aasecorp@live.com. I've lost her card and that is from memory.

If you search my posts, there is a post with how to go thru the airport and her e-mail is in that post

While in Nuevo Laredo this week, our Broker told us that they are planning to stop Nationalizing cars older than 2006 and they will go up to 2008 and 2009 perhaps by the end of the year.

Valerie :)

While in Nuevo Laredo this week, our Broker told us that they are planning to stop Nationalizing cars older than 2006 and they will go up to 2008 and 2009 perhaps by the end of the year.

How can they do that, aren't the types of vehicles and their age in the NAFTA treaty and won't the U.S. and Canada have to approve any changes?

Joco, I don't know how they can do that. I'm just reporting what the Broker in Nuevo Laredo told me this week. He says they are raising the fees/impuestos on the older cars to discourage the Nationalization and by the end of the year they are going to significantly limit and then stop the importation/nationalization of older cars. He said they are only going to allow cars in the 2006-2008, possibly 2009 time frame to be Nationalized starting Jan. 1, 2014.

Of course, I cannot say for sure this is accurate but I can tell you that this is what he and several other Brokers standing around the "Nationalization Car Lot" told me. It's an amazing bit of business to witness and participate in, LOL!

I would like to see Spencer reply to this. It seems rather strange that they would stop nationalizing cars older than 2006.

I would like to see Spencer reply to this. It seems rather strange that they would stop nationalizing cars older than 2006.

It was probably said to get more business, trying to make people think they needed to do it now rather than later. I think the vehicle's age is part of the NAFTA agreement and not something that can change on a whim.

jrm30655 That would be such a relief even if we had to park the van for a few weeks. Do you have any idea, if costs stay the same, how much it would be to complete the process of nationalizing? I need to prepare.

I did a 2006 Jeep/4 wheel drive/6 speed which all added to the cost.

I spent right around $3000US w/plates

Our 1998 Honda Accord cost $1450 USD. This included the Broker's "service" fee of $200 USD. Happy to pay it and waiting 'til September when we have our appt. for the Jalisco plates.

We just processed a 2004 Ford Explorer in SMA which never left the owner's property and it was 26000 pesos ($1950). 2006 Jeep Liberty was 28,900 ($2160) again without leaving property.

In some places one can get plates and registration in 3 hours such as San Luis Potosi. Unfortunately in SMA it takes 2 months once the owner has pedimento and factura.

I looked up NAFTA and this is what I found:

Used Cars

Canadian restrictions on used cars from Mexico will be phased out over ten years starting 2009. Mexican restrictions on used cars from Canada and the United States will be phased out over the same time period.

so it appears that by year 2019 no more used cars.

Used Cars

Canadian restrictions on used cars from Mexico will be phased out over ten years starting 2009. Mexican restrictions on used cars from Canada and the United States will be phased out over the same time period.

Daisy I read it the opposite in that by 2019 there will be not restrictions on taking cars to and from Mexico. This does not mean there won't be emission and safety standards and there is a fee, so not a freebie. What I believe will happen is one can bring cars into and out of Mexico in the same way as Canadians can import used cars into the US and Americans into Canada. I have a vehicle that was registered in Canada and the US. Currently any vehicle with a just few miles is considered "used" in both countries.

I suspect Mexico will have to raise the standards regarding emissions and safety for Mexican bought vehicles to go north permanently. Almost all cars for example made in Brazil and sold here do no not meet those standards. Whereas Canada and the US have almost identical requirements.

Used Cars

"restrictions.....phased out..... in simple English means there will be no more restrictions. Duh. Whether it happens or not waits to be seen. By the way, there are no restrictions on importing Japanese-made cars between the US and Canada. This is purely a Mexican thing, and has nothing to do with NAFTA-wide regs.

Archived