Chapala.com Webboard

real rain might be coming

jaykay

A tropic depression is coming onshore on the East coast of Mexico as we speak (read). It's path should take it right over us here. It has a predicted path to do so. I don't know if I believe it will be a hurricane when it gets here, but it ought to bring a lot of water. It's present speed is 10 miles per hour. The hurricane center gives it a 70% chance of becoming a hurricane so it's in red. Man, could we use the water. If it hits here and fills those damns up river they will have to release the water. Nothing else will get them to do that.

I just saw (10:40 PM) that The National Hurricane folks have changed the depression to a tropical storm named Ferdnand, and it's strength has increased. When I first moved here I was told that most heavy rain came from the East, and anything from the Pacific side was a gift. It would be great to get both.

Curious, did it rain in Chapala last night??

We had a very heavy downpour with wind (Zapopan)about 630pm - my Dish receiver was out until 8pm

could still hear thunder rumbling for a long time over other parts of the city until 930- friend lives 2.5 miles away called me after 8pm and said wind was very strong and his street was a river and it was still raining....

Hard to believe Chapala is missing out on the rain -

Nope, I watched the clouds split biblical fashion and go S to Michoacan and N to you, we got nada. In fact, I didn't even close up the house when I went to bed.

I've been here through 5 rainy seasons and I see the lightening to the N of the mountains and have always said I'm going to jump in the car and at least drive to the top of the pass to see where it is - but, hasn't happened yet. And, this year there hasn't even been much of that.

Jaykay, you're mostly right, our normal season is fed by the easterlies, but this year they didn't develop so it's been a thin and odd year. Now, on occasion, we've had a storm off the Pacific coast that dumped up to 5" on us, but as you say, that's a gift. But, I've seen the "eye" of a Gulf storm pass over us with nothing at all. And mainly, our lake water comes from upstream.

Archived