Chapala.com Webboard

Deposit return from Aduana for imported car

blackie

We are awaiting our new Permanente status soon and will take our U.S. plated car to the states. What is required in getting our $400 deposit returned? Must it be returned at the same point of entry? I searched the web board but could not find an answer.

We are awaiting our new Permanente status soon and will take our U.S. plated car to the states. What is required in getting our $400 deposit returned? Must it be returned at the same point of entry? I searched the web board but could not find an answer.

Return anywhere. If paid by visa should see it in 3 days. If paid cash - after you receive the receipt from TIP booth take the papers to the cashier

"blackie" is correct about the time frame. As far as return anywhere, use to be only where you entered, but if you post this in the Immigration and Customs Thread, I bet you can find someone with first hand experience, and not a guesser like me. :)

If you return after expiration you will not get deposit back

Our imigrante expired on June 20th of this year. We applied for our Permanente on the 11th of June and still waiting. So, in essense, we are beyond the date our status expired. We plan to leave the day after getting our permanente. So the problem is that we will technically be beyond the expiration date but can't leave without special permission until we get our new papers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I was told you cannot notify them until you receive your new card. Since INM takes more than 30 days to turn around a renewal, many of us have lost our deposits due to no fault of our own.

I was told you cannot notify them until you receive your new card. Since INM takes more than 30 days to turn around a renewal, many of us have lost our deposits due to no fault of our own.

There is no "Catch-22". You received poor advice. You get several comprabantes (documents that prove your point) during the immigration application process, that prove you have a valid application being processed. Customs (aduana) and Banjercito do accept solicitations (letters) requesting to extend the expiration date of your "permiso de importación temporal de vehículos" (temporary import permit), as long as you supply, on time, the appropriate information on yourself and your car, including: copies of your passport, your car registration and license papers and title, plus the comprabante or comprabantes that show your Número Único de Trámite (NUT) and possibly the second comprabante (from the bank) that shows that you have paid this year's visa fees. Since February, Aduana Distrito Federal definitely accepts this procedure, and they notify Banjercito in time to protect your deposit.

There is no "Catch-22". You received poor advice. You get several comprabantes (documents that prove your point) during the immigration application process, that prove you have a valid application being processed. Customs (aduana) and Banjercito do accept solicitations (letters) requesting to extend the expiration date of your "permiso de importación temporal de vehículos" (temporary import permit), as long as you supply, on time, the appropriate information on yourself and your car, including: copies of your passport, your car registration and license papers and title, plus the comprabante or comprabantes that show your Número Único de Trámite (NUT) and possibly the second comprabante (from the bank) that shows that you have paid this year's visa fees. Since February, Aduana Distrito Federal definitely accepts this procedure, and they notify Banjercito in time to protect your deposit.

I respectfully disagree based only on my personal experience. What you are saying may be your understanding (as well as mine) on how it is supposed to work - but in practice, it doesn't work. The advice I received on this came from Spencer at Intercasa directly and I trust his knowledge. Upon entry to Mexico while "in Tramite" I presented all of my documents consisting of the letter from INM Chapala as well as payment receipt for my renewal to an INM desk at Pharr/Reynosa and was told that it was not acceptable, that only the original Resident Temporal would be accepted. The INM agent at the counter at that crossing was presented with the paperwork including the NUT#, etc. but would not even take the initiative to look it up on his computer.

Denied entry, TIP was no longer valid and deposit lost (for now). Spencer is still trying to recover the TIP deposit since all of the notifications were done within the appropriate time windows.

You need to do the notification with the new document in hand so they know how long the TIP will be good for. Oftentimes the new immigration card has the wrong issue date so we put in a declaration, receipt for when renewal was done as well as a printout of the history at immigration to support the date mentioned in the declaration. I am working with the new tax ombudsman agency to get refunds but they are slow in studying the issue.

You need to do the notification with the new document in hand so they know how long the TIP will be good for. Oftentimes the new immigration card has the wrong issue date so we put in a declaration, receipt for when renewal was done as well as a printout of the history at immigration to support the date mentioned in the declaration. I am working with the new tax ombudsman agency to get refunds but they are slow in studying the issue.

I respectfully disagree based only on my personal experience. What you are saying may be your understanding (as well as mine) on how it is supposed to work - but in practice, it doesn't work. The advice I received on this came from Spencer at Intercasa directly and I trust his knowledge. Upon entry to Mexico while "in Tramite" I presented all of my documents consisting of the letter from INM Chapala as well as payment receipt for my renewal to an INM desk at Pharr/Reynosa and was told that it was not acceptable, that only the original Resident Temporal would be accepted. The INM agent at the counter at that crossing was presented with the paperwork including the NUT#, etc. but would not even take the initiative to look it up on his computer.

Denied entry, TIP was no longer valid and deposit lost (for now). Spencer is still trying to recover the TIP deposit since all of the notifications were done within the appropriate time windows.

Did you do the request for extending the expiration date well before the actual expiration date?

Did you file the request for extending the expiration date directly with the Aduana Distrito Federal office?

Was the request made before or after late February, 2013?

Our personal experience with over 10 different friends in other parts of Mexico is that if you made your request with all the necessary documentations and comprabante, and sent it to Aduana Distrito Federal after March 1, 2013, then they have approved the extensions. Local denials by local Aduana offices may be another example of local Mexican government offices exercising their local discretion. We even have 3 friends who applied for their temporary resident cards back in January, and also applied for temporary car import permit extensions in January, ultimately being given expiration date extensions by DF, but those approvals were not issued until May and June.

We send to the local office in Guadalajara who forwards to Mexico, sending things to Mexico is a bit costly and they do reject alot of mail, presenting locally we can a stamped receipt which helps to prove it was turned in on time as they frequently lose things in Mexico, locally here in Guadalajara they do not deny renewals, only Mexico City has done that.

Archived