Chapala.com Webboard

Is this just some temporary wave of neurosis over INM changes?

snowyco

I have been surprised by levels of petty stuff that has been popping-up on expat forums since the INM changes and PRs with imported car hassles arrived a year ago. The gunk has been cropping up faster than weeds in a well watered garden. Groups of select people seem to be jockeying for some imagined positions, as immigration experts(?), as customs experts(?), as car import experts(?), and for nonexistent "top dog" spots. It seems like petty jealousies and people's personal gunk are erupting so regularly, that they are becoming regular and even dominant themes on web-boards in Mexico, stuff that has not been on my radar for decades. Without actively thinking about it, I suspect I have previously, subconsciously, imagined that most people on expat forums had matured beyond this stuff.

Over the past year,(since the INM changes and imported car hassles?), it seems like a lot of people have been reverting to some old "High School" mentalities, replete with teen-angst over getting everybody else to conform, and putting a lot of personal energy into "who's-really-popular" (this week), "who's-friends-with-whom", "who's pissed-with-whom", "who's teacher's-pet" (moderators-pet?), "who is teacher upset with" , "who is liked by everyone " , "who are the out-casts" , "who are the cool kids" , "who are The Losers"

Other people seem to still be all about "who are people in your clique ?"

Others are all about zinging or bringing down whoever has dared to stick their heads above the rest of the crowd?

Even the moderators on some boards are jockeying for position.

Have people been slipping by into High School mentalities, putting on their Letterman's jackets and Cheerleader outfits, flexing, posing, and strutting, ?

Did someone accidentally flip the channel to "Happy Days" ?

or have I just lost my mind?

Richie C.

I read this and another local (to Lakeside) web board and have no idea what you are talking about. Both are filled with helpful information and people reaching out to assist others. Certainly there are petty arguments and obvious personality clashes as well as a small cast of the usual grumpy characters found everywhere--here and in what we call "real" life. They are a small percentage of the population on the boards and in the communities here. Sounds as though your post is a story you are telling yourself about select threads you read.

Yucalandia Steve if you lived it maybe you would have a different opinion. Clearly, some albeit in small numbers are leaving; others have homes for sale and wish to leave; some are having to do whatever to make their vehicles legal. All of this causing great stress and unexpected financial burden. This is confirmed by the most recent meeting with the Jalisco INM chief in Ajijic.

In addition, those selling are not sure even which visa is required to avoid paying a huge ISR tax.

Or, imagine, you go to a consulate and get preapproved for a Permanent Resident visa. You enter Mexico with a 30 day car permit. You slowly discover after the fact your car is illegal. You may have even just bought it. No one told you to try and ask for a 180 day permit which some pre-approved PR visa holders are getting. Then what the heck do you do? Your world is upside down to say the least!

Or your income is SS or CPP / OAS Canadian equivalent and your car is one you trust and have had for some time. You now must become a PR after 4 years and you are to get the car out of Mexico before doing so. Of course, you could have left Mexico and apply again at a consulate but your income is $1300 a month. You can not qualify!!!! On a side note it is surprising how little income some have yet they manage and I applaud them. I suspect up to half the expats would not qualify with a threshold of $1900 / month for a single person.

Your post is in the least is insensitive and the other words I can not use.

And please do not send PM's to others with negative comments about me behind my back as you have done and of which I have copies.

Yucalandia Steve if you lived it maybe you would have a different opinion. Clearly, some albeit in small numbers are leaving; others have homes for sale and wish to leave; some are having to do whatever to make their vehicles legal. All of this causing great stress and unexpected financial burden. This is confirmed by the most recent meeting with the Jalisco INM chief in Ajijic.

In addition, those selling are not sure even which visa is required to avoid paying a huge ISR tax.

Or, imagine, you go to a consulate and get preapproved for a Permanent Resident visa. You enter Mexico with a 30 day car permit. You slowly discover after the fact your car is illegal. You may have even just bought it. No one told you to try and ask for a 180 day permit which some pre-approved PR visa holders are getting. Then what the heck do you do? Your world is upside down to say the least!

Or your income is SS or CPP / OAS Canadian equivalent and your car is one you trust and have had for some time. You now must become a PR after 4 years and you are to get the car out of Mexico before doing so. Of course, you could have left Mexico and apply again at a consulate but your income is $1300 a month. You can not qualify!!!! On a side note it is surprising how little income some have yet they manage and I applaud them. I suspect up to half the expats would not qualify with a threshold of $1900 / month for a single person.

And please do not send PM's to others with negative comments about me behind my back as you have done and of which I have copies.

What he said.....

Huh?

I do live here. I had to get permanent residency. I had to change cars. Not sure at all about what you are talking about, since your claims don't fit me. I follow and participate in 6 different forums from here to Cozumel and I just describe what I have been reading on web-boards around Mexico since the INM and Customs rule changes. Some people have rolled with the changes, gotten their permits and changed or imported cars. Others have gotten really frustrated, blaming others, blaming the Mexican government and complaining loudly and often about how they don't understand the changes, especially those who had been writing a lot of internet advice as self-styled immigration and customs experts giving advice that did not work and did not fit the Immigration law published in 2011. The people who have responded maturely and calmly were not critiqued, because the post above is only about people who act like teen-agers reverting to High School mentalities. I don't support immature high schoolish behavior. Rather than becoming stuck with some Archie, Betty, Veronica, Reggie, and Jughead models, I think we can do better. Richie

Did anybody else cheer Mexico's 15:14 victory over a very good US team to become the 3'rd best baseball team in the world? What a nail biter.

The people who have responded maturely and calmly were not critiqued, because the post above is only about people who act like teen-agers reverting to High School mentalities. I don't support immature high schoolish behavior. Rather than becoming stuck with some Archie, Betty, Veronica, Reggie, and Jughead models, I think we can do better. Richie

I don't know how to break this to you but nobody cares what you support.

Mega dittos to that.

Mega dittos to that.

Joco, Mainecoons, Ajijic: If you re-read the original post, I only see "some" Canadians and Americans acting immaturely over things we all have to deal with. I do not say that all Canadian and American foreigners in Mexico are behaving childishly. Why support and defend gossiping, whining, and selfish self-centered behaviors by a noisy and persistent few?

We can do better.

Richie

Joco, Mainecoons, Ajijic: If you re-read the original post, I only see "some" Canadians and Americans acting immaturely over things we all have to deal with. I do not say that all Canadian and American foreigners in Mexico are behaving childishly. Why support and defend gossiping, whining, and selfish self-centered behaviors by a noisy and persistent few?

Yes, they are not all bad. But the bad one give a bad reputation, but surely they had that reputation in their country. To bad for the good one like you and me. ha ha

Yes, they are not all bad. But the bad one give a bad reputation, but surely they had that reputation in their country. To bad for the good one like you and me. ha ha

Joco, Mainecoons, and Ajijic: Petty personal bitterness and anger spilling over onto web-boards drags it down for everyone else. As the title says, these waves of childishness and neuroses may be temporary.

Patience, tolerance, persistence, and humor solve a lot more problems than complaining and gossiping.

We can do better.

Richie

Joco, Mainecoons, and Ajijic: Petty personal bitterness and anger spilling over onto web-boards drags it down for everyone else. As the title says, these waves of childishness and neuroses may be temporary.

Patience, tolerance, persistence, and humor solve a lot more problems than complaining and gossiping.

We can do better.

Richie

Steve, I wonder if Mainecoons can ban you then you can go back to your Yuka site and irritate whoever shows up over there, if anyone? You started a thread meant only to be insulting. No one has posted anything complaining about the INM rules. That is something you made up entirely only to provoke and insult.

You must not know why Steve starts threads like this. It is only to start fights.

So, who believes that because we now know what snowyco considers proper behavior and what he will support, those he finds unacceptable will change their personalities and how they relate to the world?

Come on, snowy, people are people. They are who they are just as you are who you are. From some of the other comments made here, I take it not everyone "supports" your behavior either. I suspect the likeliness of you taking in their criticism and making changes in your behavior is as likely as people reading your post and having an epiphany.

Steve, I wonder if Mainecoons can ban you then you can go back to your Yuka site and irritate whoever shows up over there, if anyone? You started a thread meant only to be insulting. No one has posted anything complaining about the INM rules. That is something you made up entirely only to provoke and insult.

Just sayin...I think it is posts like this he is referring to...just sayin. :)

Just sayin...I think he is referring to the fact that sometimes ( I will admit that in the last 3 months it had improved greatly) when someone posted here contrary to "popular" belief, there has been a "rush" to post negative things about that poster, often with "petty" comments. It had been like you may remember from H.S. when the nerd was pushed around by the "in crowd", when he was just asking a simple question or made a comment different from others beliefs. I believe he is wondering why "in our golden years" some of us have resorted to those tactics, when we should have left that far behind. I contend that some of us have always maintained those feelings, just that with this means we have an anonymous way to express our true selves and can hide behind these screen names, without repercussion. :)

Since nothing whatsoever is accomplished by having a tantrum and acting out..............it's just plain irrational at any age, young or old. BTW, some of those high school nerds ended up wealthy in later life since they used their brains instead of their voices or fists.

The only behavior anyone has a "right" to examine and judge is his or her own. And........if you're not entirely sure about what you're talking about, do everyone a favor and don't offer advice.

Personally, my heart goes out to those who wound up in the position of having to leave Mexico when they thought they would live out their lives here, and to those for whom moving here would have allowed them to have a better life than they could afford to have as retirees in the States or Canada. We don't hear much of anything on here from them, do we?

Did anybody else cheer Mexico's 15:14 victory over a very good US team to become the 3'rd best baseball team in the world? What a nail biter.

As long as you root for your country of citizenship, I have no problem with that. Otherwise,... :)

I rooted for the USA ! Am not a Mexican citizen. I can, however, cheer/applaud/congratulate the winner. :)

Just sayin...I think this is the type of comments he is referring to...(the H.S. mentality) just sayin ! :)

Look Jim, AKA Snowyco, AKA Steve, what is your problem? You wake up and decide to post a rant about what you think is proper behavior and it is out of the blue and in relation to nothing? Starting this thread about how you think people should behave is obnoxious.

Look Jim, AKA Snowyco, AKA Steve, what is your problem? You wake up and decide to post a rant about what you think is proper behavior and it is out of the blue and in relation to nothing? Starting this thread about how you think people should behave is obnoxious.

I am not the OP, nor Snowyco, nor Steve, nor do I try to rant. I am just sayin that in my interpretation of what the OP is sayin, your comments seem to be what he is describing. I can't help it if the shoe fits. :)

I am not the OP, nor Snowyco, nor Steve, nor do I try to rant. I am just sayin that in my interpretation of what the OP is sayin, your comments seem to be what he is describing. I can't help it if the shoe fits. :)

Don't blame Joco for the paranoia. Yes, I did give Yucalandia permission to copy and publish my post here in Chapala. Yucalandia Steve read it and got my permission, so the post is published here and on Yucalandia. Joco is mistankenly convinced that you are Steve, and I am Steve, and. Some people create multiple IDs on Chapala, so maybe they assume that Steve must also have multiple IDs here on Chapala.com. Richie :)

Archived