Chapala.com Webboard

regional differences

lobita

Occasionally the accepted local term for something is different from what my generic Spanish-teaching materials suggest -- for example, Pimsleur says 'castellano', but I'm pretty confident that the word I want in Mexico is 'español'.

First question: what do Mexicans call people from the United States? Again, Pimsleur wants 'norteamericano' -- but wouldn't that apply to Mexicans as well?

Occasionally the accepted local term for something is different from what my generic Spanish-teaching materials suggest -- for example, Pimsleur says 'castellano', but I'm pretty confident that the word I want in Mexico is 'español'.

First question: what do Mexicans call people from the United States? Again, Pimsleur wants 'norteamericano' -- but wouldn't that apply to Mexicans as well?

In casual conversation I usually hear ''Americano''. ''¿De dónde eres?'' ''De E.E.U.U.'' ''Ah, tú eres americano''. I don't think I've ever heard the word ''estadounidense'' used ever, whether it be polite or casual conversation. I'm sure there are some uptight Mexicans who may be offended by the use of ''americano'', but luckily I've never met them.

The politically correct among us will say that Mexicans are ''americans'' also. But most of my Mexican friends don't give a damn about being ''politically correct.'' With my good friends, I'll hear ''güero'', ''gringo'', ''gabacho'' etc.....Sometimes preceded by the ubiquitous ''pinche''.

But save that kind of stuff for good friends.

What All Day said. In general, Mexicans aren't nearly as uptight about this stuff as we sometimes are. Estadounidense is proper, but Americano is what I hear mostly. About the only place I use Estadounidense is when I'm dealing with an official or in a government office, or when I'm meeting someone for the first time and am being very careful. It's easy to dance around by saying, "Soy de los estados unidos".

Among friends, I get guero a LOT, but I don't think that necessarily identifies my nationality (?). As far as I know, Estadounidense is non-gender-specific, but guero/guera would change depending upon gender.

Among friends, I get guero a LOT, but I don't think that necessarily identifies my nationality (?). As far as I know, Estadounidense is non-gender-specific, but guero/guera would change depending upon gender.

Güero and güera refer to fair-skinned people in general. Mexicans also use it referring to other Mexicans. Just the other day I was talking to a friend of mine who said her sister was 'la güera de la familia''.

You´re correct about ''estadounidense'' being gender neutral.

Even Our Lady of Guadalupe is frequently simply called "La Morenita".

There are different words for different shades of skin color; some are 'official' designations used on various kinds of paperwork, while others are popular usage. For example, a person with skin the color of café au lait is often called trigueño/trigueña. A very, very light skinned person's skin can be referred to as blanco/a--or as has already been posted, you might refer to the person as el güero/la güera.

My mother in law is affectionately referred to as "Tia Morena" , due to her freckles?, even though her skin is only very very lightly pigmented (much lighter than even lightly tanned northern european Americans). My brothers in law and sister in law call my family Americanos, and they call our daughter's American husband el güero because he is a very pale white German American guy.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes estadounidense is the proper word, too proper for Mexico. If you're with a Mexican person who's looking for a fight there is only that one word. Just about every name we think we have for ourselves can be offensive, especially americano. In such cases I find it best to be fully. Call yourself a guacho, or gabacho, or fuereño.

Aren't Mexicans estadounidenses too?

Don't most Mexicans refer to US citizens as americanos or norte americanos,when they're not using the terms gringos or gabachos?

I've heard the term guacho,but it wasn't being used to refer to gringos.

Aren't Mexicans estadounidenses too?

Don't most Mexicans refer to US citizens as americanos or norte americanos,when they're not using the terms gringos or gabachos?

I've heard the term guacho,but it wasn't being used to refer to gringos.

Like watch-o, northern expression for Gringo, or at least Sonora and there abouts.

Yes a picky local could call you on calling yourself a united statesman. Trying to choose the right term is like the logic used when you lock your door .. you know that if they want in a locked door won't stop them. If they expect to be offended they will be no matter what you say.

And then there's the geography issue .. locations are not defined for one and all. For some there's no such place as Central America, anything North of The Panama Canal is North America. Brazilians don't want to be Latin Americans, and on.

NAFTA helped us define where Mexico is located.

Soy del otro lado is a very good phrase for an American. Have no idea what the plight of a Canadian is, or even if they have one.

Archived