Chapala.com Webboard

New Guadalajara INM Chief Continues Conversation With Local Expats

Ricardo Vera Lira, the new chief of Guadalajara’s Instituto Nacionál de Migración (INM), led a presentation to clarify the new immigration laws to an audience of approximately 40 expatriate attendees on the evening of Thursday, August 22nd at the Instituto Terranova school in West Ajijic. Also in attendance was Chapala INM chief Juan Carlos Galvan, along with a handful of other INM representatives. See attached photo.

After a welcoming introduction, Vera turned the microphone over to Doris Mitchell of the Guadalajara INM, who, in English, delivered an hour-long presentation on the various new immigration laws and visas, followed by a lengthy question-and-answer session. This approach seemed more effective than previous local meetings with INM officials, which were conducted in Spanish with English translators. The remaining communication misfires were largely the result of some expats’ failure to formulate clear questions, ignorance of even the basics of the new immigration laws, persistence in airing their personal experiences and grievances, and even at one point rising to the front of the audience to conduct a mini-presentation on their own experience nationalizing their car, which was irrelevant to the topics being addressed.

The INM staff was gracious and helpful in their responses, even volunteering to intervene in specific cases. They stressed that, although their role was primarily one of enforcement of the national immigration laws, they saw the need to also be advocates on expats’ behalf to the larger federal immigration community. They noted the concerns expressed in this meeting for that purpose.

The most pressing area of concern was the higher income requirements for the new immigration visas. Members of the audience predicted an increasing economic slump because expats are selling their homes and leaving because of the new laws. The higher income requirements for the new visas are exacerbated by the new requirement that the only way to continue living in Mexico on a Residente Temporal visa indefinitely is to return to the country of origin and qualify for the new higher income levels when applying for a new visa. Being “grandfathered” into a Residente Permanente visa is also seen as problematic because of the restriction of Permanentes not owning foreign vehicles. Many expats therefore feel that they will hit a legal wall after four years as a Residente Temporal that they can’t afford to climb, and that they must return to their home country or find another country with immigration laws that better fit their needs.

The meeting was also visited by LCP Jaime Nicolás Padilla Ramos, a cabinet member of Chapala’s Mayor Joaquin Huerta. He stated, on behalf of the mayor, that he wants to check if it’s possible for all the mayors of the region to send a letter to the federal congress to try to reduce the immigrants’ income requirements. He will try to do that during the next few months when they have their official meetings. The mayor’s office recognizes that Lakeside needs its retirees to stay to help grow the economy.

post-31162-0-48629800-1377364321_thumb.j

I was told by someone in attendance that they stated that home ownership could not be used to qualify. This seems to be a direct contradiction of what the Mexican embassy in Washington D.C. has on their website and also a direct contradiction of the requirements from the San Antonio, TX, Mexican counsel that were posted on this board.

Can anyone clarify this?

I'm sorry someone didn't bring up the huge delays in getting new visas. I'm working on 5 months now, still no visa though it does appear there is finally some progress. That's a little ridiculous IMO. And I'm not alone in this situation by any means.

Mainecoons - Do you know why there is a permissions problem viewing the photo I attached? I'm not allowed to see it, either.

Regarding the long delays, a coujple people did bring that up. They said they'd get the peoples' names and help find out why there were those delays. I suppose it could be because there's a new chief (Lira). They did say they're making some changes.

The new chief of the Guadalajara INM office is Ricardo VERA--his mother's maiden name, Lira, is not used to address him or to refer to him in print.

The Chapala INM chief is Juan Carlos Galván--he apparently did not use his mother's maiden name at the presentation.

Gracious goodness, such a severe and direct lesson in Mexican naming conventions? I'm sure many of us are guilty of not understanding the proper etiquette for proper Spanish names, but to make such an issue of it here? I have a (now) friend from the Netherlands, his name is XXX Ten Broek, so silly me, I assumed his "middle" name was "Ten" - of course a faux pas, but the point of this post was information from the new INM person, not how delinquent we may be, or expert that we may be, in understanding proper Spanish naming conventions.

Mainecoons - Do you know why there is a permissions problem viewing the photo I attached? I'm not allowed to see it, either.

I assume it's because they don't want attachments but don't know how to turn off the attach option. Attached files take space they claim they don't have. Probably went in the bit bucket

Gracious goodness, such a severe and direct lesson in Mexican naming conventions? I'm sure many of us are guilty of not understanding the proper etiquette for proper Spanish names, but to make such an issue of it here? I have a (now) friend from the Netherlands, his name is XXX Ten Broek, so silly me, I assumed his "middle" name was "Ten" - of course a faux pas, but the point of this post was information from the new INM person, not how delinquent we may be, or expert that we may be, in understanding proper Spanish naming conventions.

Sorry that I offended you, giltner68. It just seems to me that foreigners would have a lot more credibility and get a lot farther if everybody learned to address people by their actual names. I suspect I wouldn't know to answer if someone addressed me by my mother's maiden name.

I'm not offended, but you were a bit tough on the OP of the comment. As I said, it's awkward for some of us. I dealt with environmental engineers some years back and many were from E India and their names were often different from what I expected. I often make mistakes here and am mortified when corrected, but the people are gracious and forgiving and that's how I learn - the hard way. Now, if we could just get a bit of attention from the folks in charge by any name? - as I mentioned, I emailed both Laredo and San Antonio consulates and received polite responses from both, apparently being N of the Rio Grande makes a difference.

If people are to live in Mexico they should have a clue about the structure of last names and call people by their proper names. Moreliana´s post is helpful for people who do not know about it . The least people can do is call the official by their correct names.

Gracious goodness, such a severe and direct lesson in Mexican naming conventions? I'm sure many of us are guilty of not understanding the proper etiquette for proper Spanish names, but to make such an issue of it here?

Give it a rest. She was just pointing out the proper way to address people here in Mexico. It's confusing to a lot of expats who live here, and I'm sure some appreciate the correction. If you want to be snide about it, that's your problem.

To be further detailed: The OP was correct to write the full name, Ricardo Vera Lira, at the onset of the post as the formal full name was being used introduce the gentleman in his official capacity. The "error" was in making the informal reference to him as "Lira" later in the post, just as it would be "error" to orally address him as Senor or Comandante Lira. (It's good for our brains to continue making those kinds of distinctions!)

The new chief of the Guadalajara INM office is Ricardo VERA--his mother's maiden name, Lira, is not used to address him or to refer to him in print.

The Chapala INM chief is Juan Carlos Galván--he apparently did not use his mother's maiden name at the presentation.

If you don't know this, you need to. A rather big faux pas in this country.

Thanks for the reminder, More Liana!

I assume it's because they don't want attachments but don't know how to turn off the attach option. Attached files take space they claim they don't have. Probably went in the bit bucket

I think you're right. The only way to attach a photo here is detailed in one of the pinned threads at the top of the Ajijic/Guadalajara section.

Regarding the long delays, a coujple people did bring that up. They said they'd get the peoples' names and help find out why there were those delays. I suppose it could be because there's a new chief (Lira). They did say they're making some changes.

One Mexico Expat:

You are using an attachment feature to insert an image into a post - and I would guess that the attachment feature doesn't support images - which is why there is a permissions problem. My suggestion is that you go back to your post, and edit it and use the insert image function - which is designed to insert images in a post - not attach them. (the 11th icon on the bottom row - move you mouse slowly across them if you can't figure it out - an the icon will display image)

If you don't know how to insert an image - a post has been pinned to the webforum on how to do this - here is the link if you can't find it - http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=32112 as the image must already be on another website.

Thanks for posting the information.

Archived