Chapala.com Webboard

how much time at border?

lobita

How much time should we expect to spend in Nuevo Laredo dealing with immigration, on the inbound trip?

We have already received our TIP by mail, and will be just stopping for our tourist visas -- and customs, if we get the red light.

It depends on day and time of the week. Early morning at the Laredo-Nuevo Laredo crossings is usually best; you can go online and check their up-to-the minute web cams for crossing times and estimates at the bridge. There's 2 lines to get into for passport and immigration stamps; the line was fairly long but quick-moving when I last crossed about 6 weeks ago on an early Saturday am.

• 2 weeks later...

Which Laredo bridge/crossing is recommended? I was told Columbia for their leniency; hubby is not carrying anything illegal mind you. He was thinking of crossing around 8 am but will watch the webcams. Is it easy to get on the correct route from the Columbia crossing?

Our load is fully documented and translated into Spanish. It has yard sale values, etc.

Hubby is bringing in a cargo trailer with our household goods and we don't have our Visas yet but he has our deed, marriage certificate, birth certificates and communications we have had with the Consulate in Canada.

Last week, we used Bridge I into Laredo and back to Nuevo Laredo. I was amazed how much quicker it was than Bridge II. I had to wait behind just 2 cars to cross over and miraculously, the Border Patrol Agent was actually courteous and pleasant. A FIRST for me in years!

When I returned to Mexico, it was a snap. I drove right up to the window, paid the minimal fee to cross the Bridge and was back in Mexico lickety split!

Valerie :)

Columbia is a snap and the connections are easy.

From I-35 south, exit onto the Columbia toll road about 20 miles north of Laredo (don't worry about the toll, it is unmanned and you won't get a bill). About 20 minutes from there to the crossing.

After the crossing, turn left onto the highway and follow the signs to Monterrey. Just watch the speeds carefully (there have been local cop hassles in the past in the area) until getting to the first checkpoint on the main highway, after that it is smooth sailing all the way.

So is it worth the time to go to the Columbia crossing?

Is it a 40-minute detour? 20 mins each way?

What if we checked the webcams http://www.ci.laredo.tx.us/bridgesys/cameras/bridge4cam.html and see that there isn't much traffic at bridge 1 or 2?

What I'm asking is, are the Aduana officials really more lenient at the Columbia (Laredo) bridge compared to the others?

And if so, it might be worth the detour.

I forgot to give my hubby the Mexican Pesos I had on hand. If Aduanas wants money for what we're importing, can he pay with a Canadian credit card or will it need to be cash? If cash, is there an ATM close by?

You will get lots of different opinions and experiences about which crossing is the best. The following is my personal experience with crossing into Mexico several times pulling trailers with household goods in them over the past couple of years. I have NEVER gotten off without having to pay some duty at the Nuevo Laredo crossings (both Bridge 2 and Columbia). My preference if crossing during daylight hours is Columbia because it is newer, less congested and easy to navigate through pulling a trailer. You also don't have to deal with the hawkers and city congestion in and around the Bridge 1 & 2 area. I would not recommend Columbia after dark - Hwy. 2 is kind of remote and scary at night.

My best success has been with the Pharr, TX crossing on the east side of Reynosa. I have been able to get a small cargo trailer loaded with household goods and tools, etc. through there without having to pay any duty (twice). Also, very similar to Columbia in layout and very little traffic. The tolls are also lower going via CD. Victoria to SLP. There are lots of very nice hotels in CD. Victoria and staying there overnight makes for an easy drive to GDL the next day.

First, you need to restate it on your list in US$. You are allowed a personal exemption of $500 US (if I recall correctly - may need to check into this). Well, if all goes well and they agree with your figures, subtract the $500 and you would be asked to pay 16% duty on the remainder (in this example about $2300 US x 16% = $370 US or around $4,800 MX. I have been charged on one crossing an additional $2,000 MX as a "brokerage" fee but I didn't completely understand what they were talking about. I did not use a broker but Aduana may have charged this anyway as a "nuisance" fee to allow me to self clear.

I have never tried to use a credit card - only USD or MXP. I nave not seen an ATM inside any of the crossings I have used. I prefer to obtain some pesos to travel with during the crossing because you never know what you are going to be asked to pay.

Archived