Chapala.com Webboard

Lack of Rain

GaleM

Jet stream over North America is much further south than normal this year, easterlies are weak. Maybe you saw the story a couple days ago about a record low high temperature in Atlanta?

This pattern has pushed high pressure into the Gulf of Mexico, blocking our moisture flow much of the time. Notice the almost total lack of tropical activity this year?

A few weeks ago, there were reports that the Arctic "summer" was only half as long as usual. It could be a very chilly winter up north and we would be affected as well.

According to the meteorological historians, the little ice age in the Middle Ages coincided with a very sever drought in the U.S. Southwest and Mexico. This was the drought that drove the cliff dwellers out of their homes and down to the shores of the few remaining running rivers.

Moisture is trying to push back in at the moment but very weakly. You can watch it here:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/flash-avn.html

Perhaps Giltner will weigh in here. He's a meteorologist.

the rain seems to have been patchy where it falls. theres been plenty in guadalajara , flooding and lots of damage. just outside guad. travelling to lago de moreno the fields are soaked and streams nearly bursting their banks. i have travel frequently to tamaulipas and they have had lots and lots of heavy rain recently. chihuaha has had seriously flooding as well this summer.

interesting article in informador today saying over the past few days the lake has actually lost 2cm.over the past few days.

not a good sign, but the weather will do what it wants to do.

Every year we visit the waterfalls in El Tepalo, unfortunately this year, it was all dry.

There hasnt been much rain this year, and I am concerned for the lake level for the upcoming year.

I remember when it used to rain every night and you could fall asleep listening t the rain drops , not this year.

With all the rain elsewhere, seems to me some of those many dams could release a little bit of water so that the lake level could rise a bit?

Or is it really just politics and ignorance that they keep the lake at such low levels (capacity now about 32% currently) that the water that now goes to Guadalajara's 2.4 million people contains highly concentrated levels of mercury and arsenic.... do you think they filter that water?

In fact, as has been discussed here a number of times, the amount of water going to GDL amounts to a few inches per year. Diversion for irrigation and evaporation is where virtually all the lake's water goes.

I see no indication that this pattern is going to change this year. I think we are in for a really low lake by the time next May rolls around. Better start thinking in terms of a decade ago when the lake ended a mile from the north shore.

the rain seems to have been patchy where it falls. theres been plenty in guadalajara , flooding and lots of damage. just outside guad. travelling to lago de moreno the fields are soaked and streams nearly bursting their banks. i have travel frequently to tamaulipas and they have had lots and lots of heavy rain recently. chihuaha has had seriously flooding as well this summer.

interesting article in informador today saying over the past few days the lake has actually lost 2cm.over the past few days.

not a good sign, but the weather will do what it wants to do.

In the past 9 days we've had 3 storms here in the city-with enormous amounts of rain- a weekend ago - in area of Expo& World trade Center Towers huge storm brought down 35 huge trees, ripped large pieces of acrylic decorative sheets off the World trade center towers, HSBC had their glass doors smashed by flying objects etc-plus flooding in underground garages-both storms occurred about 630pm - what a mess with all major streets flooded---

here at my house we had hail larger than marbles pummel us for 15 minutes ripping my beautiful garden plants to sheds-

last Mon another huge storm -my street was 8 inches deep of running river and hail size of frozen peas-again during rush hour

This week several days dry and hot - Sunday small storm at 4am - just enough to water garden

Weather reports say tonight and tomorrow 60% chance of rain - hopefully

it is a shame, the rain this year, barely, just 1 month rain or less.....:(

Little rain in much of the central highlands. For example, SMA .5" in August. 15" for the year. Some of Lake Chapala's water is fed from rivers in this part of Mexico.

Guest verchiel

I think the rain isn't falling because the lake has told the sky that she doesn't want to swallow all the plastic that rinses down when it rains. When the people stop tossing plastic everywhere, then the rain will fall.

3/4 of an inch today in Puerto Vallarta since last night but has been dry here also most of the summer. A good hard rain for about an hour this morning and a little right now. Very little thunder and lightning.

It''s been raining off and on here in Zapopan since 2pm - fairly hard for 20 min- then steadily until 430 - stopped- now steady rain again - friend called from his office on the 14th floor of the GWTC not raining there, but he could see storm clouds of rain in my area near Andares - maybe it will drift south later

Lots of storms in Guad but it never gets to Chapala. Yesterday started in Guad in the afternoon was heavy on Lazaro Cardenas but when getting to Patria just sprinkles. Lots of nasty potholes and many people are damaging their tires.

Archived