Chapala.com Webboard

Opthamologists in the Lake Chapala area

brianway

I know of two opthamologists in the area, one at Dermika and the other on the corner of the Carretera where the old post office used to be. Does anyone know of others that come here and do you have any recommendations. Would prefer having someone here check my eyes rather than going to GDL and I prefer ophthamologists over optometrists as some of my family members have had serious eye problems in the past. Thanks.

An opthamologist comes every Tuesday to the Ajijic Clinic. Dr. Vargas examined my eyes last Tuesday. 600 pesos. I thought he was quite thorough and I liked him.

Requires an appointment at the Ajijic clinic for the day Dr. Vargas comes. He operated on both my eyes at the Puerto di Hierro hospital and also has an office in Guadalajara. Very thorough. Speaks English.

I will stand behind my previous recommendation of Dra. Monica (the Opthamologist) at Dermika. She has all the right equipment to check your eyes, your retina and the pressure in the eyes.

If I was going to need eye surgery...I'd go to Guadalajara.

Luz at LCS she is good and free!!

Luz is a nice person and does a good job prescribing glasses, but for serious eye problems which may be requiring surgery at a first class facility in Guadalajara, I think it's best to go to a qualified ophthalmologist who practices there.

I went to Luz when I thought I just needed better glasses, but after an examination, she recommended seeing an ophthalmologist she refers people to. My family doctor recommended Dr. Vargas, who had done surgery on him with excellent results, so I went there.

Absolutely go to Guadalajara. There are several specialized clinics with excellent facilities and staff.

I use Clinica Santa Lucia and Dr. Enrique Roig, a retinologist with offices at Puerto de Hierro, who uses Santa Lucia for much of his surgery.

Dr. Guillermo Avalos is the oftalmologo who sent me to him for my detached retinas.

Absolutely go to Guadalajara. There are several specialized clinics with excellent facilities and staff.

I use Clinica Santa Lucia and Dr. Enrique Roig, a retinologist with offices at Puerto de Hierro, who uses Santa Lucia for much of his surgery.

Dr. Guillermo Avalos is the oftalmologo who sent me to him for my detached retinas.

The Eye Surgery facility (and probably at other hospitals there as well) at Puerto di Hierro in Guadalajara is very impressive: spotless, very efficient and they have good anesthesia options for chickens like me. (EYE surgery........YIKES :o ) So, definitely go for someone who uses a Guadalajara hospital. I found it a great convenience to have Dr. Vargas for the follow up visits since he came to the Ajijic clinic once a week. His office there is well equipped.

I have heard many stories that are less than desirable about Oftalmologicos Lakeside. For the past 14 years , I have taken many people to Dr Avalos in Guad. Some of these people have had serious eye problems determined by other Doctors & wish to continue treatment. They have alll said Dr Avalos is very, very good. Some have beleived they had serious problems(from Doctors Lakeside) and found that prior diagnosis was incorrect.

333.641. 0972

333,614. 5727

I saw Dr. Vargas a little over a month ago at the Ajijic Clinic. I called for the appointment on a Saturday and saw him the following Tuesday. It was time for my annual exam, but for a week or so before my visit, I was experiencing numerous floaters. He did a very thorough exam. There was a small horseshoe tear in one retina. I went to the opthalmology tower at Puerta de Hierro hospital in Guadalajara a couple of days later where Dr. Vargas did laser surgery to make the repair. His regular practice is there; he is just in Ajijic on Tuesday afternoons and evenings. I saw him again in Ajijic the following Tuesday for a follow-up check. As someone else mentioned, the exam was 600 pesos. The laser surgery was 5500 pesos with 950 pesos (I think) going to the hospital and the remainder to Dr. Vargas.

I believe him to be very competent . If my retina problem would have been more extensive, I would have asked him for a referral to a retinologist. However, my problem was well resolved and I will continue to see him for my annual eye exam or any other problem that may arise.

Dr. Humberto Ruiz comes to the Integrity Clinic in Plaza Interlago behind the Pemex station on the libramiento. Telephone (376) 766- 5154. He also has an office on Manuel Acuna in Guadalajara which is quite easy to get to. There is a optometrist at the Guadalajara office who also speaks English and there is no charge for her services if you have seen Dr. Ruiz.

• 5 months later...

Archived