Chapala.com Webboard

Bank of America new restrictions on transfers

JayBearII

I have a Bank of America account in the US from which I wished to make an online transfer to another US financial institution. I found that transfers of more than $1,000 are now prohibited unless I first get a "safe pass" for the transaction. A safe pass, which is a code, can only be given if you call on a cell phone or mobile app that is registered in your name in the US. So, those of us who have Mexican cell phones or Ipods or smart phones registered outside the US are out of luck--the transfer cannot be made. This bothers me a LOT because I would like to have the financial flexibility to make transfers. Otherwise, if for instance I have a hospital bill, I have to use a credit card and then pay back the credit card, or give them a US check, which will work, BUT I am mad as hell about having access to my money restricted in a way that bars me from accessing it when I am out of the US. I am sure Bank of America is fighting an uphill battle against fraud, BUT in my view their solution is unacceptable. I also do not like the idea that older people in the US who do not own a cell phone, smart phone or Ipad (there must be some left), are restricted in using THEIR money in THEIR Bank of America account. Geez, there must be a lot of money in Bank of America accounts owned by old codgers who are still using their old landline phones. They are the ones who saved their money and didn't spend it on cell phones and smart phones and Ipods!

Bank of America Safe Pass has been in effect for years, at least for as long as I have had my BofA account.

You can make multiple transfers in a single day, of amounts up to $999.99USD per transfer. It's not efficient for you--you do have to do the online transfers various times--but it's free and it works. I've done it several times.

After surgery, I was asked to remain in the hospital (at no extra charge) until my bill was paid in full. I contacted BofA on Skype and explained the situation. I asked that all restrictions be removed from my savings and checking accounts and I wanted unlimited access to my funds. After answering several personal questions to prove who I was, I was assured it was done. I paid the surgeons who saved my life and the hospital in full

transfering money from my savings and then paying with my debit card. Two weeks later I bought a new scooter and with an ace bandage girdle holding my guts in, I rode it. Then I put the limits back on my accounts.

boa_logo.gif
Privacy & Security
Search Bank of America
SafePass® FAQs
Report suspicious activity
  • In your email:
    To report a suspicious email that uses Bank of America's name, forward it to us immediately atabuse@bankofamerica.com.
  • On your statement:
    To report fraudulent activity on your Bank of America account, call 1.800.432.1000 or visit your nearest banking center.

its optional.

"A safe pass, which is a code, can only be given if you call on a cell phone or mobile app that is registered in your name in the US."

If that's true...........how could a Mexican resident who doesn't make trips to the U.S. accomplish having a U.S. registered cell phone, etc.?

I do business with a different U.S. bank that has a link to my Mexican bank. Simple transfers. Haven't been thieved on yet. So far.

boa_logo.gif
Privacy & Security
Search Bank of America
SafePass® FAQs
Report suspicious activity
  • In your email:

To report a suspicious email that uses Bank of America's name, forward it to us immediately atabuse@bankofamerica.com.

• On your statement:

To report fraudulent activity on your Bank of America account, call 1.800.432.1000 or visit your nearest banking center.

its optional.

It's only optional if you are making transfers that are under $1000 USD. $1000 or over, BofA requires you to have Safe Pass.

Bank of America Safe Pass has been in effect for years, at least for as long as I have had my BofA account.

You can make multiple transfers in a single day, of amounts up to $999.99USD per transfer. It's not efficient for you--you do have to do the online transfers various times--but it's free and it works. I've done it several times.

Not any more--it was called Safe Send. BoA rescinded that earlier this year. I found out when I tried send $ to my Santander account. You now have do a wire transfer for a healthy cost. Pissed? You bet. So I opened an account at Citibank which owns Banamex. Transfers between those banks --no problem.

Not any more--it was called Safe Send. BoA rescinded that earlier this year. I found out when I tried send $ to my Santander account. You now have do a wire transfer for a healthy cost. Pissed? You bet. So I opened an account at Citibank which owns Banamex. Transfers between those banks --no problem.

Safe Send was one thing. You're right, Safe Send is gone.

Safe Pass is something totally different. Safe Pass has been around for a long time and is still on BofA. See the long post above, the copy and paste from the BofA website.

Not if your income (in particular, SS or other retirement income) is from Canada or the U.S.

Deposited every month into my Mexican account. No problemo. :) If you are really serious about making Mexico your home, then you need to avail yourself of what Mexico offers and forget NOB stuff (if you are serious, and not just a word person). :)

Deposited every month into my Mexican account. No problemo. :) If you are really serious about making Mexico your home, then you need to avail yourself of what Mexico offers and forget NOB stuff (if you are serious, and not just a word person). :)

Good grief. After 32 years in Mexico and the acquisition of Mexican citizenship, native-level fluency in Spanish and a passle of Mexican friends, I'm not serious about making Mexico my home if I choose to have my pension check deposited to BofA? Give me a break.

Hmmm... I'll have to consider my investments in other countries, and quickly remove my funds from those, too. Geez.

I transfer funds frequently back home: gifts for kids, grandkids, and the like. I pay bills, such as Shaw Direct. And other things no one needs to know about. Can't do that in most U.S. banks, let alone from Mexican banks, just by sending an email transfer. So I have plenty of reason to bank where I see fit, and none of that has to do with where I live.

Archived