Chapala.com Webboard

Good Pots

The nursery that is in west Ajijic, on the carretera mountain side, behind the newish Italian restaurant Hosteria del Arte had a LOT of pots a few months ago. All kinds of shapes and sizes. Worth a look if you haven't already been. A couple of years ago I needed a very large pot and bought one at the shop/cooperative outside Chapala. Just north of town on the Chapala/Guadalajara highway, west side of the road.

Just bought a very large pot, just East of Joco, on the Lake Side. Cannot vouch for level of quality. My plants are happy.

I bought pots at this place years ago, kept them outside in the elements and I haven't had a problem with any of them, plus he is very reasonable.

We buy ours at the one in San Antonio. The one I'm thinking of shares the location with a transmission shop. Don't know where they do transmissions - I've only ever seen a vast array of pots and lawn decorations there, but the transmission sign is very prominent if you look to the back of the establishment. The pots are very durable outside, great designs and priced very nicely.

In Chapala take the right hand lateral across from Sorianna. Then I think the second right turn up. Half way down the block on the right is a pot place with his own kiln. He makes stuff for sale and to order. The orchid groups have him make the pots with holes up the sides for drainage. His stuff lasts!. You also need to buy some of that tar like black paint at Prisa. Tell them you want it for the insides of pots. Have the gardener put on a coat inside, let it dry and then a second coat. Your pots will last much longer.

I believe the pot shop with the auto repair in the rear is in Riberas. It's a couple of doors down from Cafe Morgana and the pet shop. I buy most of my pots from her and stop buy often to see what she has that's new. Lots of cute patio decor and some water fountains.

It's always a fun visit.

Buy the Talavera type. High fired and very durable. They are not cheap but will last for years.The cheap terracota ones are fire with a rustic wood kiln and the clay stays unvitrified which it too soft to stand the weather and any minor bump.

I believe the pot shop with the auto repair in the rear is in Riberas. It's a couple of doors down from Cafe Morgana and the pet shop. I buy most of my pots from her and stop buy often to see what she has that's new. Lots of cute patio decor and some water fountains.

It's always a fun visit.

Beside where the transito office used to be. They get all their stuff in Tonala and similar places, and their prices are excellent, considering where they are located. Not worth driving to Tonala for the same thing. I have copa de oro and similar large items growing in mine for years now.

Archived