Chapala.com Webboard

How do I donate to the fund for Agustin the owner of Viva Mexico to help with his angioplasty?

Lucky23

A few days ago I read a post that shared that Agustin was rushed to Guadalajara and had to have an angioplasty. The post had a good amount of information. I recall it saying that friends of Agustin were hoping to raise about $80,000 pesos to help him (& his family) as he has to cover expenses of the event as well as miss work, pay for replacement staff while he recovers and someone needs to be paid to do the some of the volunteer work Agustin did for Operation Feed (driving to Guadalajara to the Abastos, loading and unloading hundreds of pounds of rice, oatmeal, beans & such to feed the hungry).

I can not find the original post with the specific contact information. I did a google search and found the information below but it links to a dead page.

Viva Mexico - Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara - Chapala.com Webboard

www.chapala.com ... Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

3 days ago - 1 post - 1 author

Viva Mexico - posted in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara: To the friends of Agustin Most of you are aware that our dear friend Agustin Vazquez was ...

Can someone please post the contact information (email) of the people for this fund raiser?

I'll PM the OP with the contact information. I don't believe Agustin asked for help, but friends wanted to make a goodwill gesture.

I believe the money wasn't to cover the surgery expenses, but to cover the operating and extra labor expenses of the restaurant while he's recovering. Excess funds would be distributed to operation feed.

A few days ago I read a post that shared that Agustin was rushed to Guadalajara and had to have an angioplasty. The post had a good amount of information. I recall it saying that friends of Agustin were hoping to raise about $80,000 pesos to help him (& his family) as he has to cover expenses of the event as well as miss work, pay for replacement staff while he recovers and someone needs to be paid to do the some of the volunteer work Agustin did for Operation Feed (driving to Guadalajara to the Abastos, loading and unloading hundreds of pounds of rice, oatmeal, beans & such to feed the hungry).

I can not find the original post with the specific contact information. I did a google search and found the information below but it links to a dead page.

Viva Mexico - Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara - Chapala.com Webboard

www.chapala.com ... Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

3 days ago - 1 post - 1 author

Viva Mexico - posted in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara: To the friends of Agustin Most of you are aware that our dear friend Agustin Vazquez was ...

Can someone please post the contact information (email) of the people for this fund raiser?

The original post was deleted because someone's name and phone number were posted without their permission. Even though your intention is good, please be careful what you post including information about someones medical condition that they may not want made public.

It is always sad to hear that someone like Augustin of Viva Mexico is sick and has incurred medical expenses.

He is valuable member of the SJC community, business man and will be remembered for his response to the humanitarian crises that took place a few years back in SJC

Having said all that, dare one ask why he was not enrolled with the IMSS or Seguro popular or self insured?

Albeit he went into a private hospital, but the cost for his treatment seems high.

About 18 months ago Puerta de Hierro presented a local seminar and showed the cost of Angioplasty procedure $4,700usd.

This seems to be a wakeup call for members of the Lakeside community to review how they want their medical situations taken care of. Could you come up with 80,000pesos.? It would make a big hole in my pocket

Perhaps, Lakeside7, you could start another thread expressing your comments, concerns and questions about preparing for medical emergencies. That would leave this one to address the concern of the OP which is how does one who wishes to help Agustin do so.

To BWhite48 and others:

Okay, let me slam you as no one else has. IMSS or Seguro Popular won't cover his lost time at work and the need for someone else to take over the Operation Feed duties that he was in charge of. You comment, to my way of thinking, was very insensitive. Maybe you have never gone to Viva Mexico or met Augustin otherwise I think you might want to retract your comment.

Other comments on this post are worthwhile considering, especially the ones related to being prepared for emergencies like this. If you don't have either private insurance, IMSS or Seguro Popular, then you had better have a lot of money in your bank account.

The comment about the cost of an angioplasty costing $4,700 US; when you do the math using 13 pesos per USD, you are not far away from the $80K mentioned in the first post, and as mentioned further in the post, a lot of that was to cover non-medical costs, once he is out of hospital.

Gracias d&d for the information

I know we can't save or help everyone with medical emergencies .... but Agustin is that rare bird that has given so much ... I also believe that Agustin has not asked for help ... He is a person with pride and integrity.

Since I have the people's contact info feel free to PM me if you would also like the contact info.

d&d is exactly right. The hospital bill is paid and it is my understanding Augustine is resting comfortably at home. However, he will be resting comfortably at home for awhile. He would be appalled at some of the comments on this thread. The money is for non-medical expenses and to continue Operation Feed. And Augustin has certainly not asked for it. This is for people that would like to help. Augustin has given so much to all of us. It is time to give back to him. I wish some of you would be a little more sensative when people need help. We all will at one time or another.

I responded to the original poster who said they (I guess two people) were coordinating a collection in Agustin's behalf. I got an email back from a man who said his wife would be contacting me by phone to accept my donation. I also said that I hoped that Agustin's family knew that there was this collection going on, since it would ease their worries. He said he thought so. That was vague.

After his email to me, I never heard further.

I greatly admire Agustin in his efforts to help others. In the past, we've contributed to these causes. We also think that Agustin runs a terrific restaurant. It's a pleasure to go there.

I think I will wait now and contribute something to Agustin personally for whatever group he chooses. I find what is being posted about a collection and who is doing what confusing.

Ironically, this morning my husband became a patient of the same cardiologist who treated Agustin. Tomorrow he'll have a pacemaker put in.

Lexy

The best help might be an upsurge in business at Viva Mexico. I think we will have dinner there tomorrow!

The new garden area and new kitchen are great and the service is exceptionally good.

I recently had a lamb chamorro that was really a nice surprise. They often have specials that are not on the menu.

It is always sad to hear that someone like Augustin of Viva Mexico is sick and has incurred medical expenses.

He is valuable member of the SJC community, business man and will be remembered for his response to the humanitarian crises that took place a few years back in SJC

Having said all that, dare one ask why he was not enrolled with the IMSS or Seguro popular or self insured?

Albeit he went into a private hospital, but the cost for his treatment seems high.

About 18 months ago Puerta de Hierro presented a local seminar and showed the cost of Angioplasty procedure $4,700usd.

This seems to be a wakeup call for members of the Lakeside community to review how they want their medical situations taken care of. Could you come up with 80,000pesos.? It would make a big hole in my pocket

Puerta de Hierro definitely does not charge 4,770usd for Angioplasty, my partner has been under their care four times and we never left below 30,000usd.

We just returned from eating at Viva Mexico and had a chat with Augustin. He was in the restaurant for an hour yesterday and a bit longer today, eating a healthy salad. He looks good, is cheerful and following the orders given by his doctor.

Augustin is back in Viva Mexico, cleared to work by his doctor. The new addition with an open courtyard is lovely and cool. Just ate there today and the food was wonderful. So stop by, have a meal and say hello. He does get tired so may not be there the whole day.

The best help might be an upsurge in business at Viva Mexico. I think we will have dinner there tomorrow!

The new garden area and new kitchen are great and the service is exceptionally good.

I recently had a lamb chamorro that was really a nice surprise. They often have specials that are not on the menu.

Bingo, RV Gringo! Agustin a friend to many of us and a very, very giving person. His restaurant is one of the few that have consistently good meals, and some are down right exceptional. Recently I had chilis en nogada at a high end Mexican restaurant in Taos, New Mexico. It was a poor excuse compared to what Viva Mexico serves up!

Carolyn, I cannot believe he is up and working. He isn't programmed to take it easy. At least not that I've ever seen. Does he have a death wish?

Puerta de Hierro definitely does not charge 4,770usd for Angioplasty, my partner has been under their care four times and we never left below 30,000usd.

Did you miss the thread about negotiating the price with hospitals? The cost is not set in stone and if you tried you might get a huge discount from what you have been paying.

Bingo, RV Gringo! Agustin a friend to many of us and a very, very giving person. His restaurant is one of the few that have consistently good meals, and some are down right exceptional. Recently I had chilis en nogada at a high end Mexican restaurant in Taos, New Mexico. It was a poor excuse compared to what Viva Mexico serves up!

Carolyn, I cannot believe he is up and working. He isn't programmed to take it easy. At least not that I've ever seen. Does he have a death wish?

He saw a cardiologist on Saturday who did some tests and said he could go back to work. He asked, "Right now?" and the doc said yes. So he asked me to drop him off at the restaurant, and I did. He is still tired and sore but says he feels much better in the restaurant talking to friends than at home brooding. They won't let him in the kitchen so he doesn't have a lot of pressure to cook, and the food is still great. Business was off while he was out so please stop by and have lunch or dinner (closed on Thursday). I was there today and at 3pm it was nowhere near full as it usually is on a Sunday.

He saw a cardiologist on Saturday who did some tests and said he could go back to work. He asked, "Right now?" and the doc said yes. So he asked me to drop him off at the restaurant, and I did. He is still tired and sore but says he feels much better in the restaurant talking to friends than at home brooding. They won't let him in the kitchen so he doesn't have a lot of pressure to cook, and the food is still great. Business was off while he was out so please stop by and have lunch or dinner (closed on Thursday). I was there today and at 3pm it was nowhere near full as it usually is on a Sunday.

Jaysus! He still worries about stuff. Give him a week and he'll be back in the galley unless they chain him down. Tell him Sunny said to take it easy!!! I'm not back down there until late October.

Archived