Chapala.com Webboard

Internet Speed

I live 2 1/2 blocks west of the Plaza. I have the TelMex 389p/month plan, the lowest, and I consistently get a 25ms Ping, 3.12 down and .31 up. I have the old white Thomson modem. My net never seems to go down, ever. Maybe I'm lucky. I live 50m off the street so the phone line to my casa is a joke, but something is working.

Telecable just a few months ago ran new lines up and down Aquiles Serdan, BigRig you should get a great signal from them in this neighborhood.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you people have "high speeds" compared to us. Rancho del Oro special service: 2.45 mb/s download; .257 upload; ping 450 ms. And that's better than a month ago with upload speed of .03!

Some of it depends on where you live, none of it seems to be adequate.

Denver

Something is broke between your Street and mine.

I paid cable $402 installation today for 10 mb service. I talked to the tech, who happen to be in the office and he guaranteed me, I would receive 10 mb where my house is located. He said he would install it Monday Morning and I could cancel the service if I didn't get the 10 mb. I get two Months Internet for free since I also got The min TV service.. I didn't want the TV part , but over all, everything is cheaper for the package.

Telecable has 4 internet packages

5 Mbps $200.50 al mes

8 Mbps $301.50 al mes

10 Mbps $402.00 al mes &

15 Mbps $503.00 al mes

I got my results from http://www.telecable.net.mx/ for Ajijic.

Perhaps you are also including your costs for one of the TV packages.

EDIT: I couldn't link to that page by left clicking on the above URL. Rather I had to enter same on a new page

Has anyone who gets TV on Dish here seen the Dish advertisements from Dish Satelite Internet?

Is it possible to get it here? I know that those of us who get Dish TV get it through some "special magic way" so don't know if that would work, but was wondering since they say you can get it anywhere in their ads.

Of course my Dish goes off if it even looks like rain and I cannot get my premium channels after 5 pm but it would be good during the day.

Are you thinking about Dish USA TV and internet? With internet they can tell where you are so if it is Dish USA which you are not allowed to get in Mexico, you cannot get Dish internet.

I can't find that Dish Mexico offers internet.

Are you thinking about Dish USA TV and internet? With internet they can tell where you are so if it is Dish USA which you are not allowed to get in Mexico, you cannot get Dish internet.

I can't find that Dish Mexico offers internet.

Dish Mexico is marketed by Telmex. Maybe they mean Telmex's DSL

Telecable finely installed my Internet yesterday afternoon. They came to my house only 4 days later than they said they would.

I paid $402 for instalation of 10 Mb on Saturday and they said it would be installed Monday before noon. They arrived Thursday afternoon.

The good part is, I'm getting 4.6 Mb. Not anywhere near the 10 Mb I'm paying for, but my Magic Jack works great and I can use Netflix.

I'm going to call them about not getting the 10 MB and if they cannot do anything about it, will just pay for 5 MB .

Telmex is still around .8 MB , but I'm going to keep them both for several months.

Oops, maybe I have 8mb, but in any case it dropped last month. Actually I've got both and I'm picking up a new router next month that will balance the two for not only better speed, but continuity if one or the other goes down - and telecable has become a bit flaky lately.

I'd like to know about that router when you get it, if that's alright; could be helpful to some I know.

............ I'm getting 4.6 Mb. Not anywhere near the 10 Mb I'm paying for,.........I'm going to call them about not getting the 10 MB and if they cannot do anything about it, will just pay for 5 MB ......

That will be a wasted trip and simply frustrate you, as you are paying for HASTA 10 Mb; which means UP TO 10 Mb.

It's a two edged sword with Telecable, I was paying $402 for 8MB and for over a year it was that or better and rarely out - then lately I noticed they actually cut my price to $302 - but, for example, it went off yesterday at 2pm and is still offline. So, cost and speed mean little when you get nada.

Infinitum technical support is centred in Mexico City. 01-800-123-2222. The guys here at the Ajijic office know squat about service, and from what I've seen over the years, could care less. The support staff in the D.F., after some training, are generally top-notch and very pleasant to deal with. I must talk to them once a week in the down-season, so I've got a few calls under my belt. Sure, you get a loser every so often. Then you just call back and get someone else. They will not stop until the situation is resolved as best as it can be, even to the point of sending technicians.

What I'm saying, then, is do all the work through Mexico City if you want anything accomplished other than exchanging your modem.

Mike, thanks for the tip. I called Mexico City yesterday when my internet speed was approximately half what it should be up and down. Today, the local service guy called and less than an hour later I was back up to speed. I found the people in Mexico City to be very customer oriented, very helpful and with excellent English language skills. Last time I had a problem about a year ago I dealt with the local people and visited the local office many times. It was three weeks before I saw a service guy who then fixed the problem in an hour. So three weeks wasted simply because I didn't start the process by calling Mexico City

Just checked my lowest priced Telmex plan down here in Vallarta and am getting 23 down and 7 up, no it's not a mistake and I didn't forget a decimal point. Telmex tells me fibraoptica is coming all over the country and we were one of the first streets. As always in Mexico, patience, patience, manana!

Mike, thanks for the tip. I called Mexico City yesterday when my internet speed was approximately half what it should be up and down. Today, the local service guy called and less than an hour later I was back up to speed. I found the people in Mexico City to be very customer oriented, very helpful and with excellent English language skills. Last time I had a problem about a year ago I dealt with the local people and visited the local office many times. It was three weeks before I saw a service guy who then fixed the problem in an hour. So three weeks wasted simply because I didn't start the process by calling Mexico City

Rock on!

Just checked my lowest priced Telmex plan down here in Vallarta and am getting 23 down and 7 up, no it's not a mistake and I didn't forget a decimal point. Telmex tells me fibraoptica is coming all over the country and we were one of the first streets. As always in Mexico, patience, patience, manana!

I would love to see a printout of what the 23 down is. That could be real slow or real fast. Why not go to www.speedtest.net and show us the results. It shows the results in terms better understood. I shall go there now and show you what I'm getting. I'm supposed to get up to 5 Mb/s down by maybe 0.7 Megabits/sec, I don't remember the upload speed. But this is what I am getting.

2920169091.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2921288588

I'm not smart enough to be able to cut and paste what you have there but it let me "save and share results" and this is what appears so maybe you can open it and maybe not. I believe it showed 32 down and 6 up but maybe I'm reading it wrong. Ping was 36 I believe. This one is closer to what I usually get.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2921384552

I'm just guessing here but if Telmex indeed intends to go nationwide with fiber optic they probably have made a decision not to put much money or manpower into upgrading the current system but for PR reasons would never admit that. Just my brain thinking about things it has no reason to do!

I would love to see a printout of what the 23 down is. That could be real slow or real fast. Why not go to www.speedtest.net and show us the results. It shows the results in terms better understood. I shall go there now and show you what I'm getting. I'm supposed to get up to 5 Mb/s down by maybe 0.7 Megabits/sec, I don't remember the upload speed. But this is what I am getting.

2920169091.png

BTW, Pete, you are one of the nicest, most polite and friendly people I ever had the pleasure of meeting during our 7 years at Lakeside. You always helped me and everyone else who came in to Rod's internet place and I later learned you did it pro bono. The last time I saw you was a couple of years ago in Dr. Garcia's office while waiting for my wife and you came in and weighed yourself for the receptionist. You spoke to her in good Spanish and she really appreciated it. All the best to you.

Thank you for the kind words, pappysmarket . What you posted suggested that you were getting the speeds that the speed tests showed. It's just that I had no idea that one could get that high of an internet speed in PV.

Congratulations. Oh, 30 Mb/sec down is faster than what I get in Seattle as well. You've got wonderful speeds. Sure I could pay more per month in Seattle and apparently get up to 75 Mb/sec in my building, if the advertising proves true. But I'm quite happy with the up to 20 Mb/sec down that one gets from Comcast.

• 2 months later...

I live 1.1 Km from where the telephone line connects to the internet and pay $599 per month which means I should be getting up to 5 megs down by I don't remember what up.

I entered my modem and discovered that my settings are

Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]:

764 / 6.013

And I'm getting about 85% thereof or

2904378935.png

which is exactly what I am paying for. It's been that fast since the settings in my modem were updated about two years ago.

So not only is it important to know what you are paying for, but to see what your settings are in your modem.

And no I don't stream that much. Maybe they gave me the correct high settings because I have not been streaming. Who knows

What is the URL that you use to look at your Infinitum modem? I'm assuming that you access it via a browser.

I am up (way up) in Chula Vista Norte with a brand new HellMex installation and I cannot even get 1 Mbps. I can only muster a measly 0.7 Mbps. I will probably call the tech support in Mexico City, but I don't know if they can do much to help. The guy who installed the line told me that I was just too far away from the switch to expect very much bandwidth, but I was hoping for at least more than 1 measly Mbps! :-/

I also have a IUSACEL BAM 3G device that allows me to pull down 2-6 Mbps depending on how busy the network is. We can not get cable in CVN, so I guess this is the best I can do until such time that we get 4G or fiber at Lakeside. Even if we get fiber, it will only come to the fraccionamiento's front gate, from there is will still be the standard HellMex line up to the casa. But I am betting that we would still see a BIG bump if/when "fiber happens."

I have considered laguna.net, but that option has a very high entry cost ($350 US) just to find out what you might get, and like the satellite signal I suspect that it might drop significantly or completely during a moderate to heavy rain.

Sigh. Seems like there's a business opportunity here for someone who might find a way to fill the data void.

Archived