Chapala.com Webboard

What would you have done?

Jistme

When I answered the phone to a Spanish-speaking woman who was crying hysterically. I said " No Espanol señora, can I help you? She could not stop crying, and I was

at a loss as to what to do.

Finally a Spanish-speaking man came on the phone, and I asked if he understood any English, but I couldn't understand his reply. Finally I had to say No comprendo" and hung up.

I've been thinking about this strange phone call, and can't make any sense of it.

Was it a wrong number, or someone calling randomly? Very puzzling, and quite troubling.

I would say it was a scam but since you did not understand Spanish it fell flat on their faces. If the woman was with a man why would she be calling rather than the man who would have made more sense and since you said you did not understand Spanish , they would have understood it was the wrong number so they would have hung up.

My neighbor had a woman crying called her claiming she was he daughter and unfortunately it went down from there, there are a lot of that type of scam going on.

Agree. I´ve had someone call my phone several times looking for a certain person and getting quite angry andd abusive when I try to explain it is the wrong number. Someone told often these types scam calls are run by prisoners with cell phones. If its not clear to me what the call is about in about 15 seconds, I hang up.

I googled it in English and Spanish, it's a scam. Top 5 in Spanish. A recording of a woman or child crying hysterically ( maybe that's why she didn't respond to you? ) , someone else takes the phone and tells upu that your relative has been kidnapped, in a horrible accident bla bla...

No hablo el espanola is the next best thing to just hanging up. For sure you can relax about it.

We periodically get calls from financial institutions (Walmart and Bancomer) looking for people we don´t know who gave our phone number to get their credit, and who owe them money.

At first we tried to reason with them, explaining that we have had the same number for more than 12 years (we are in the phone book), and nobody else lives here, etc., etc. No luck. They insist that we must know this person since our number is recorded next to their name. Duh.

It´s not a language thing.

We found out that if we are to be removed from their call list we have to send by e-mail all our identity info (Passport, proof of address, etc., etc) SURE. Like I´m going to send you all this stuff over the Internet?

Now we just hang up, don´t answer (we know their numbers basically) and go on with our lives.

I got two of these calls once, with a woman crying hysterically first, then a man came on saying (in Spanish) that this woman needed ransom money for a kidnapped family member . I knew immediately that these were the scam calls I'd read about, so I pretended I didn't speak Spanish and hung up. The "no-call" list won't help with these calls, but hanging up works!!

Archived