Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration Updates - August

Intercasa

Well it seems as if the rumors are coming true. We have had many problems recently with the residente permanente applications.

Chapala has been taking 4 months plus to review applications with bank statements. People complained about this so we started sending files to Guadalajara and they are faster.

No good deed goes unpunished and Guadalajara has rejected many applications and not even received them saying they didn't think the person's signature matched their passport, we even had to physically bring people there to sign in front of them to prove they really signed the application. Next they decided they wanted to see everyone's original passports and once again rejected applications.

Now they want proof someone is receiving a pension (not just bank stmts) and is retired. How can we prove someone is not working apart from their word? How do we prove extraterrestrial aliens don't exist (apart from the ones working on residente permanente files at immigration in Guadalajara)?

We now advise all people to renew as temporary and then right away for for permanent if they want to avoid being rejected and losing prior years due to the lag time in processing leading to the old document expiring.

Also there still exist differences between the offices, it is so crazy as each file needs to be analyzed to determine where we send it and for some sent to Guadalajara we have had to make a few trips due to people not signing close enough to their passport signature.

There are still mistakes being made which we can appeal and win however the appeal process takes months and in the meantime you are trapped in Mexico and cannot leave the country.

No but I will also add that if you got a travel letter they will not give you the new card until you turn it in with both entry and exit stamps both within the 60 day time period.

Any news/rumors on the "points" system that is supposed to be published in the Diario? Would the failure to publish provide grounds for an amparo? And, what's with the consulate that used real property ownership of a certain value to qualify an applicant?

I think they don't like how easy it is to become permanent except if you have lived a while in Mexico. I have seen all kinds of crazy behavior by the consulates, it is a real mess and nothing seems to be getting better, we fight and beg and plead daily and do our best, some people get lucky, other time for the majority things work out ok and others have bad luck or get someone on a bad day.

No but I will also add that if you got a travel letter they will not give you the new card until you turn it in with both entry and exit stamps both within the 60 day time period.

Thanks Spencer,

I do not have a travel letter. I am staying put here until I get my card!!!!

These are part of the reasons why we went thru the Mex Consulate in the US to get out initial res.perm. stamped page in our passport. The remainder here in Mex. should be pronto..ie..photo and fingerprint for the R.P. Card..All the financials have been shown to be in order, etc. There is no valid reason why the card should take 2-4 months. Especially when we pay for expedited service. This is truly stressful when you are waiting to close on the sale of a home. I think the best alternative is to apply in an out of the Gringo meca area where they aren't overwhelmed as they are lakeside and Guad. ""My venting while I while away the days,weeks and months awaiting my "CARD" .......

It is a nightmare and we go and beg every day, some stuff is easy but they seem to like to punish people getting permanent but with patience it will be the last time anybody needs to deal with these folks except us who love punishment.

These are part of the reasons why we went thru the Mex Consulate in the US to get out initial res.perm. stamped page in our passport. The remainder here in Mex. should be pronto..ie..photo and fingerprint for the R.P. Card..All the financials have been shown to be in order, etc. There is no valid reason why the card should take 2-4 months. Especially when we pay for expedited service. This is truly stressful when you are waiting to close on the sale of a home. I think the best alternative is to apply in an out of the Gringo meca area where they aren't overwhelmed as they are lakeside and Guad. ""My venting while I while away the days,weeks and months awaiting my "CARD" .......

The operative words are "should be." Don't be surprised if you end up being 'surprised' by INM. I don't think you can simply apply wherever you want to in Mexico (i.e., outside a Gringo area); you have to be a resident in the purview of your local INM office. So, either Chapala or Guad for most of Lakeside.

Sounds like you await the permanente to avoid taxes on sale of your home. Lucky you; few homes are selling and one hopes the delay in getting the permanente does not spoil the deal. Buena suerte!

Just curious, why do you think INM is such a mess in Guad and in Chapala? Both are in the State of Jalisco and here in PV where we are also in the State of Jalisco there are virtually no problems dealing with INM. What do you think causes the difference between your area and ours here in PV? Just wonderin.

Just curious, why do you think INM is such a mess in Guad and in Chapala? Both are in the State of Jalisco and here in PV where we are also in the State of Jalisco there are virtually no problems dealing with INM. What do you think causes the difference between your area and ours here in PV? Just wonderin.

I haven't heard other facilitators make the same complaints. It could be some bureaucrats are giving one facilitator a bad time.

The operative words are "should be." Don't be surprised if you end up being 'surprised' by INM. I don't think you can simply apply wherever you want to in Mexico (i.e., outside a Gringo area); you have to be a resident in the purview of your local INM office. So, either Chapala or Guad for most of Lakeside.

Sounds like you await the permanente to avoid taxes on sale of your home. Lucky you; few homes are selling and one hopes the delay in getting the permanente does not spoil the deal. Buena suert

You can apply elsewhere by using a local address. Be there 8 days later for finger prints. A person can be designated to pick it up for you 3 weeks later or make a trip. Manzanillo applicants are reporting 8 to 10 days for whole process

You can apply elsewhere by using a local address. Be there 8 days later for finger prints. A person can be designated to pick it up for you 3 weeks later or make a trip. Manzanillo applicants are reporting 8 to 10 days for whole process

Is that true for non pensioner applicants that are applying before they have been here 4 years, on the last visa? It sounds like the problems are with people who are applying using financial records, particularly investment income. There are other problems, as Spencer pointed out.... nit picky things, but it sounds like the serious road blocks for those applying for permanente with financial documents.

Is that true for non pensioner applicants that are applying before they have been here 4 years, on the last visa? It sounds like the problems are with people who are applying using financial records, particularly investment income. There are other problems, as Spencer pointed out.... nit picky things, but it sounds like the serious road blocks for those applying for permanente with financial documents.

Lots of people move between renewals and simply record a new address with no proof required at least in SMA. If less than 4 years and wanting PR visa INM wiithin Mexico are told to only accept pension sourced income and nothing else. Requires 6 months of bank statements and letters from pension source. Often they must both be translated. Remember their is no point system allowing these other incomes to be considered.

I know of no where in Mexico having the issues experienced at lakeside / Guadalajara.Geesh it has been 9 months and they are still having these issues. This is beyond a competence issue but have no clue what it is.

Someone in that agency doesn't like expats and they are using their position to harass them. That should be pretty obvious by now, particularly when people in other areas aren't being subjected to this.

I don't think it is a dislike of expats because Mexican facilitators are not having this problem. Maybe it is a prejudice against foreigners who are earning money that could be earned by Mexicans?

I am in Chiaipas and just saw a friend who got is visa in two and a half weeks down in San Cristobal so the system is not messed up everywhere but then we do not have many foreigners either so the work load is nothing like that of the offices in Guadaljara or Chapala.

Lots of people move between renewals and simply record a new address with no proof required at least in SMA. If less than 4 years and wanting PR visa INM wiithin Mexico are told to only accept pension sourced income and nothing else. Requires 6 months of bank statements and letters from pension source. Often they must both be translated. Remember their is no point system allowing these other incomes to be considered.

I know of no where in Mexico having the issues experienced at lakeside / Guadalajara.Geesh it has been 9 months and they are still having these issues. This is beyond a competence issue but have no clue what it is

In the past the Chapala and Guad INMs wanted proof of residency address in form of CFE or TelMex bills, or a lease if the utilities were not in the name of the applicant. Realize rules may be different in SMA where you live.

Archived