Chapala.com Webboard

Going to CostCo soon? Need product info.

kbiohio

Good morning.

I am upgrading from a matrimonial size bed to a kind size bed in the next couple of weeks. I have heard that CostCo may be a good bet for quality bedding at a fair price. I do not have a membership, but if I pursue a purchase I could use Lakeside Express, or get a membership of my own.

If you will be shopping CostCo anytime soon, and are willing to check some items for me, I would be incredibly grateful. I found Liverpool's prices to be quite high. I am going to the states for a week in September...so if I have to make some purchases there, it is a possibility. However, I can't see trying to fit a mattress pad cover, sheets, bedspread, pillows, etc in my suitcase. That would be silly when there are options here.

Here are items that I am curious about learning specs, prices, options at CostCo...

1. King size mattress pad cover

2. King size pillows and pillow protectors

3. King size sheet sets

Thank you in advance to anyone able to share info.

KBIOhio

I like the Kirkland Signature Sheet Sets from Costco. They wash beautifully and are soft. This is Lakeside Express Website for the linen category...

http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_124

There is no price listed but you could call the guys and ask them...766-5784

I'm not seeing much in the way of mattress covers (only one kind in two sizes) but you may want to check at "Furniture for Less" on the carretera (green awning on the lake side just past Panino's) or the mattress store next to the HSBC in the mall opposite Walmart. Also check Walmart.

I would suggest that you go to Zapotlanejo. The first block has several stores that have all that you want at excellent prices.

To get there, you go up the Chapala highway towards the airport and take the next exit to the right. Go down that 6 lane highway for about 10 miles and watch for the exit to the right to Zapotlanejo. Take the exit and you will go another 10 miles to Zapotlanejo. At Zapotlanejo the road narrows from four lanes to 2 lanes (one in each direction.) Go under the overpass.

Turn right at the traffic light in the town and go to the end of the street. Turn left and about a half block down on the left is a big parking lot. Park there. The shops start on the street going to the right and up a hill. You will find several shops with everything you are looking for king size at excellent prices on that first block.

I would suggest that you go to Zapotlanejo. The first block has several stores that have all that you want at excellent prices.

To get there, you go up the Chapala highway towards the airport and take the next exit to the right. Go down that 6 lane highway for about 10 miles and watch for the exit to the right to Zapotlanejo. Take the exit and you will go another 10 miles to Zapotlanejo. At Zapotlanejo the road narrows from four lanes to 2 lanes (one in each direction.) Go under the overpass.

Turn right at the traffic light in the town and go to the end of the street. Turn left and about a half block down on the left is a big parking lot. Park there. The shops start on the street going to the right and up a hill. You will find several shops with everything you are looking for king size at excellent prices on that first block.

The only sheets I've seen at Zapotlanejo are 50/50 polyester and cotton. Really not good IMHO, but your needs may be different.

The mattress cover that we bought at Costco is excellent. It covers the top and all four sides of the mattress, wears like iron, and washes like new. Ours is queen, not king, but they usually have both.

I was at Costco and Sam's last week, Costco did not have mattress pads, but Sam's did, they were deep pocket king for $549p. I could pick you one up next time we go in but it might be for a month or so.

Hensley...

That is great info. Thank you for the offer. I would be fine with that price in order to get good quality.

I have a terrible mattress cover from Soriana on my guest bed #2, and that won't do for my own bed that is used all the time.

If I don't purchase something in the next month, I will reach out to you about your kind offer to help.

KBIOhio

If you are at Lake Chapala, there are many mattress sources to choose from in Chapala and along the highway between Ajijic and Chapala. They would deliver, or arrange local delivery. Otherwise, you would need delivery from Guadalajara at your expense, unless you have an SUV with a rack and are willing to tie the mattress on top securely enough for the trip. Not that there are transitos, who will issue tickets for doing that if you stray from the far right lane; truck rules when carrying cargo, I guess. Years ago, we had to carry refrigerators and mattresses from Guadalajara, as few were available here, and we got it done; but we were younger then, too.

If we purchase the mattress in GDL, we have a pick-up truck. My husband was born and raised in GDL. He is comfortable with the driving, and experienced with hauling large items. Thank you for the concern.

Unless CostCo has a fabulous mattress at an incredible price, I do imagine one of the local retailers will suit my needs. My bigger concern was about getting quality bedding at a fair price. I will likely end up with a good mattress pad from CostCo or Sams Club. I will fully evaluate the sheet situation lakeside before my CostCo/Sams purchase to see which is my best bet.

Thank you to all for your input.

KBIOhio

The value of the Kirkland sheets is great; however, they are all "sateen", and this is too close to satin for me. Hot in the summer and winter, too; it doesn't breathe. They sit in my linen closet, wondering why they never see daylight.

The value of the Kirkland sheets is great; however, they are all "sateen", and this is too close to satin for me. Hot in the summer and winter, too; it doesn't breathe. They sit in my linen closet, wondering why they never see daylight.

Ours aren't sateen but it was a good heads up to the OP to check and make sure. We bought our Kirkland Signature sheets at the Costco in PV...they don't even sell blankets there...two seasons, hot and hotter.

Well, I can tell you for sure that they didn't sell flannel sheets at the Costco in PV. Maybe they've actually got a merchandizing manager who knows their market.

Off topic (sort of)...I laughed my head off when I went into the "Home Depot" store in Queretaro...a HUGE display of Thompson's Water Seal. Wooden decks in central Mexico? DUH!

Interesting. They have the flannel sheets at CostCo here only in the winter. Lakeside Express usually lists them on their site, but if you try to order off-season, they are not available. They're nice and soft, but do get the fluffies after a year or so, so not the best quality. Perhaps we can use the Thompson's Water Seal on them after...

Keep your eye out for the garage sales around town. Often they have good quality sheets for sale - some gently used, but I have seen new ones as well.

Also, aren't the sheets at CostCo for American mattresses? Or are they for Mexican ones?

The tshirt material sheets (I got mine at Target in the states) I have found to breathe the best down here. Warm and comfy in the winter, soft and cool in the summer. They also hug the smaller Mexican mattresses well.

Keep your eye out for the garage sales around town. Often they have good quality sheets for sale - some gently used, but I have seen new ones as well.

Also, aren't the sheets at CostCo for American mattresses? Or are they for Mexican ones?

The tshirt material sheets (I got mine at Target in the states) I have found to breathe the best down here. Warm and comfy in the winter, soft and cool in the summer. They also hug the smaller Mexican mattresses well.

They fit the Mexican mattresses I have.

Archived